• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Freight Dog said:
Wow, so much venom on this board..
No venom, just posting what I was told.

Having 2 HAL furloughs under my belt with the latest at 2.7 years and counting, I know the associated pains. I have no hard feelings towards Aloha and hope they survive. I'd rather continue the status quo of Aloha being HAL's competition then seem them go under and have every major that flies to Hawaii try and move into interisland. But at the same time, I've sacraficed a heck of a lot for HAL and it would be very "stressful" to see HAL acquire Aloha (or part of Aloha) and their pilots remain active while I remain furloughed. (Especially since I have more time on furlough at HAL than many of their junior pilots have flying at Aloha.)

And Hugh is right - in this industry situations can reverse over night. HAL is doing good for now, but will it last? Who knows what RC has up their sleeve. They are sure not telling the pilots....we've been awaiting "the big announcement" and expansion announcements for months now....

Hugh Jorgan said:
You guys at HAL better not start sucking each others dicks just yet. Talk about short memories.

Very professional. Where is the penalty box police when you need them????

You guys all act like this is for real! A few of us started this rumor because the two announcements were supposed to be on the same day. Other than that we really got nothing. CHILLL.

Hehehehe..........thought that would get your attention Hugh Jargen!

Last edited:
FlickerFade said:
I want this debated publicly.

I understand... Maybe some more front page stories in the advertiser? I'll call our MEC and just tell them we should do everything your way. Lets all only do the things YOU WANT TO DO.

FF,

Unfortunately from what I've seen in the HP/US merger, I'm guessing that an HA/AQ merger would be very similar. One company in bankruptcy, the other growing - and yet even though it is so close to a 'buyout', management keeps calling it a merger. And since we are both ALPA, the union merger policy comes into effect. With the AA/TWA merger the American union (APA) called the shots, and the TWA ALPA union was left hanging out to dry. What that means for the HA furloughees (as well as the US furloughees) is that no furloughed pilot can replace a working pilot. If HA does 'merge' with AQ, you can bet that just about everyone at AQ and ALPA would be screaming for us furloughees to be put below everyone working at HA AND AQ. In a word, we would be screwed.

But yes, I think we need to make our voice known if this does happen., and speak as one with our union, as well as a furloughee group.

HAL

Let's not forget there are a bunch of AQ pilots currently furloughed and many more will be joining them on Sept 1.

As for "buying parts of AQ and not the debt.." I don't think that is the plan. Mr. Banmiller has stated many times his "templete". He wants to switch the -700s with 757s and then add more destinations to increase revenue.
Keep in mind he owns 5% of AQ stock and gets a big bonus when AQ exits BK. I don't see how selling off a few pieces of AQ would help him.

But then again, he aint talking to our MEC so who knows what is up his sleave.

what are your career expectations now?

what were your ideas for seniority list integration back in '02 'hopper?

I don't want anything bad to happen to AQ. I hope that HAL just leaves AQ alone.

But it is possible that all AQ pilots could be put above HAL furloughed pilots. Do you think that this would be fair? What is fair if we get to the point of integration?

I have stated the two extreme scenerios (the one in the previous paragraph and stapling) I support neither. In the '02 negotiations I heard proposals that AQ's ALPA was making. I want them proposed out in the open by us who will be affected. What are your rational expectations if this deal happens?

Aloha.

Flick-

Ok, I'm gonna bite. I think it would be pretty brutal if this buyout/merger/whatever ya wanna call it were to come into play and some of our guys at Aloha hired in 2003 were put in front of your guys who are currently furloughed that were hired in what? 2000? 1999? I don't really know where your furlough line cuts. I'm a 2001 hire so ya know.

Now, that being said, you're tootin' HAL's horn like it is the end all of all airlines. Truly, I am not trying to say anything negative about HAL. I'm only pointing out what I see while having kept an extremely supportive stance for you guys during the merger talks and your ensuing bankruptcy. I have some good friends over there.

If HAL was in such great shape (again, one last reiteration, I'm not pickin' at ya here) why are there people still furloughed? Why aren't the recalls just rolling in? We've all heard your plans to expand (and I hope you do!) where are the airplanes? When you guys were going to bail us out of our financial predicament during the merger, why was it HAL who went BK right away? Why is it now that your BK is over (serious congrats) and all of a sudden we over here (managed by idjits) are making a few months worth of profits and you're turning in losses (both are probably accounting tricks)?

Dude, I feel for ya. I know what it's like to be out of work. I was furloghed for 6 months and had the merger gone thru I probably would have been furloughed even longer. That just sucks no matter how we look at it. But I got news for everyone. I don't care what you want to call it or how the seniority system breaks out, but one airline serving the State of Hawaii makes sense. Call it Hawaiian. Call it Aloha. Call it frickin' Money Makin Airlines. With the state government behind it you have a license to print money. Anyone who thinks that competition is good between AQ and HAL is a consumer. We don't work for the consumer. We want to work someone who is getting a reasonable price from that consumer. One airline is flat out the way to go...no matter how you skin it, that's how it is. There is no downside. This Dunkerly seems to have some Moxie. I hope he does. Brenneman sure as hell did and he would have made this deal a dream for all parties involved.

If this thing comes together, it could be a helluva deal... If there are people out there with that much anger that the people of AQ haven't had to suffer enough (line from a Brenneman meeting) they need to get help. No one need suffer. Let's get together, work hard, expand, OWN the Island routes...let's get rid of the UAL, DAL, CAL, NWA, and everyone else that are beating down our shores....

Wow...so that is what crown and a keyboard can do....

Latest resources

Back