Pay raise for Hawaiian Airlines CEO

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Freight Dog said:
Yeah, I heard a rumor that our MEC secretly enlisted the help of NSA/CSS, CIA, DIA, FBI and ATF to try to uncover the dark Banmiller/Chinese secrets of Aloha Airlines...

Maybe an agent of one of these agencies can chime in...

Agent-69 chiming in here... I'm with an agency so secret even our name is a secret.

the latest... As of a few weeks ago there were 3 investors they were talking with. One dropped out, one only wanted inter-island and is not being considered and the other one is who they are talking with.

I could tell you who they are but then I would have to kill my self,( agency rules) so right know you will have to wait until it is printed in the Advertiser because they also have an agent on their staff.

I could tell you who they are but then I would have to kill my self,( agency rules) so right know you will have to wait until it is printed in the Advertiser because they also have an agent on their staff.

Let me guess the mole within the Advertiser? His initials are T.T.S? Now I will have to kill myself since I have revealed his identity!

Erndogg said:
Let me guess the mole within the Advertiser? His initials are T.T.S? Now I will have to kill myself since I have revealed his identity!

Naw, you don't have to kill yourself. I'm sure Banmiller's henchmen will take care of you. ;)

mdanno808 said:
Dan Roman, I'm feeling down, hit me with some of that eternal optimism.

I'll echo that thought. It has been over two months since the exit from bankruptcy, and we kept hearing 'hang on guys, you'll all be back soon'. Some of our guys are nearing 3 years on furlough (I know, some have gone much longer in the past), but so far there is nothing on the horizon. One of our furloughees just got furloughed from her third airline in two years. It is getting depressing out there and we need help.

I'm trying to remain optimistic, but where is the movement? As mdanno said Delta is again increasing service to the islands, and HA is being left in the dust. I know Dunkerly & co. are trying to be conservative and not waste money. But there is also a difference between being conservative, and stagnating.

So please Dan Roman, let us know if there really is anything coming up for us. Thanks.

(trying to keep a positive outlook) HAL

P.S. Inserting shameless self-promotion here: AOPA Pilot magazine, September '05, pg 92. :D

Dan Roman, I'm feeling down, hit me with some of that eternal optimism.[/QUOTE]

I just saved a bunch of money on car insurance??

OK, I'll try, keep in mind I stand to lose fifty bucks (bet I made) if no one is recalled by the end of the year! By all accounts Ranch has the pockets to do whatever they think will enhance their investment. I'm getting impatient myself and I'm working, so I can imagine it's multiplyed a lot being on the street. That said, I think we are all better off that they are not jumping into whatever just to expand for the sake of expanding. They are very actively looking for airplanes and the whole industry is in a huge state of uproar. Your guess is as good as mine, but their WILL be a lot of changes. Ranch appears to be wisely waiting for the right opportunity. Hawaiian is just like anyone else, anything can happen overnight, whatever they do I'm sure it will be a big surprise when it happens.
From what I hear they are looking at a lot of different possibilities (confirmed by Seavy) and who knows what they will come up with. They do have a line on 6-8 717's (confirmed by Seavy), who knows what they want to do with them? Bill did say a hub in LAS is being considered.
I know it sucks being out and recalls seem like they will never happen, but the fact is, you will look back on this as a distant memory someday quicker than you realize. Ranch didn't buy Hawaiian just to sit on it and none of us have forgotten that we have guys on furlough and we want to get you back as bad as you want to get back.

Dan Roman said:
Dan Roman, I'm feeling down, hit me with some of that eternal optimism.

I just saved a bunch of money on car insurance??

OK, I'll try, keep in mind I stand to lose fifty bucks (bet I made) if no one is recalled by the end of the year! By all accounts Ranch has the pockets to do whatever they think will enhance their investment. I'm getting impatient myself and I'm working, so I can imagine it's multiplyed a lot being on the street. That said, I think we are all better off that they are not jumping into whatever just to expand for the sake of expanding. They are very actively looking for airplanes and the whole industry is in a huge state of uproar. Your guess is as good as mine, but their WILL be a lot of changes. Ranch appears to be wisely waiting for the right opportunity. Hawaiian is just like anyone else, anything can happen overnight, whatever they do I'm sure it will be a big surprise when it happens.
From what I hear they are looking at a lot of different possibilities (confirmed by Seavy) and who knows what they will come up with. They do have a line on 6-8 717's (confirmed by Seavy), who knows what they want to do with them? Bill did say a hub in LAS is being considered.
I know it sucks being out and recalls seem like they will never happen, but the fact is, you will look back on this as a distant memory someday quicker than you realize. Ranch didn't buy Hawaiian just to sit on it and none of us have forgotten that we have guys on furlough and we want to get you back as bad as you want to get back.[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything you said regarding RC. They have the ability to basically do whatever they want. The problem I see, is that expanding is risky, especially if not done right. RC is making money right now, while a lot of others are losing it hand over fist. Throwing 8 717's into the desert in hopes to feed their own flights sounds like a risk I doubt they will be willing to take. (I know I wouldn't if it were my money) The competition is flooding the market to Hawaii, and I think we have waited too long to effectively increase service to the west coast, and beyond (at least this year). The summer is over, and the ammount of seats to Hawaii from the mainland is at an all time high. You said that stupid expansion helps no one, and I couldn't agree more. That is why I think that you will see very little happen at Hawaiian for a while. Now as far as going east bound, who knows. I've heard that the Australia flights are still losing money. Is that true? All I know is what I hear. But the "big announcement" rumor that has effectively been floating around since the time I was hired has not come true yet, so it amazes me that everyone still takes the bait. The most depressing thought I've had so far is this: If they staff the airplanes at 5 crews per plane, then it will effectively take 10 aircraft to recall everyone. As far as 767's are concerned, the best I imagine we will do is get 1-2 in the next year, and maybe another 1-2 the following year. Thats 40 pilot's over the next two years. Retirements don't seem to affect staffing (I still don't quite understand why), and the 6-8 717's we are looking at sounds like pie in the sky. I'm almost done complaining, and I know you're aching to write a response, but just hold on another second. IMHO, barring something big happening, and changing the climate of the industry, the last of the furloughed pilots won't be back for another 3-4 years maybe 5. I hope to god I'm wrong, because I don't know how much longer I can nonsched, without my wife divorcing me, and my kids forgetting who I am. Dan Roman, everyone knows your reputation at HAL. You are a very happy go lucky person, and personally I think that's great. I wish I were a little more positive, and a little less depressed. There is no real point to my ranting, only to give a counter point to your view as to what the future holds. My challege to Hawaiian Air now is to prove me wrong, get a sh1t load of airplanes, and call all of us back. I hope all is well back on the line, and give my regards to everyone. PS gone on any surf trips recently? PPS, ran into a friend (HAL classmate) yesterday, who is now at Evergreen. He is on his third trip around the globe, and hasn't been home in 18 days. What's worse, is that he thinks they will send him around the horn one more time before releasing him.

"With my luck it'd be raining whore's, and I'd catch a lesbian"

Teddy Moore

Latest resources

Back