Pay raise for Hawaiian Airlines CEO

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FlickerFade said:
There just aren't very many guys flying on days off at HAL. !
Then that's a good thing. That's my whole point. Sounds as though perhaps you would agree that flying on ones' off day is does not help get guys back on the property. Your tune is changing. For some reason (and I don't think I'm alone here), I was hearing you say that flying open time doesn't hurt the cause. Maybe you are smarter than first impressions might lead one to believe....but I could be wrong.

Majority of pilots working overtime
Everyone: This is the worst kind of spiteful flamebait. Don't fall for it. For those of you who don't know this, HAL pilots have realtime access to the crew scheduling server. This lets us know how much open flying there is, who flew it, and much more. As to the rest of this discussion; Hugh - have you read the staffing formula? Have you been briefed by the MEC on the effects of recall on the furloughed pilots? I am going to guess that the answer is no.

Relax everyone. Don't be your own enemy.

Last edited:
Take this for what it's worth.

I have a friend who works for a legal firm. She told me that her firm is working for an investment group and they have been working on a deal with Aloha. She says they are at the end or near the end of finalizing a contract with Aloha. This contract is contingent on a deal they are in the middle of working on with Ranch Capital.

Supposedly (don't shoot the messenger), this investor group will purchase Hawaiian from Ranch Capital if/when the court approves their purchase of Aloha. The rumor floating around her office is that the investment group is planning on creating one airline similar to the plan Greg Brenneman had.

I asked her for details like the name of the group, how soon it would happen or what kind of plan they will have for the new airline. She didn't know the answer to most of those questions and she wouldnt elaborate on the others based on confidentiality agreements.

I give. I'm in the process of buying both airlines. I have a cousin Keali'i who's out of work, and on paroll, so I told him he could be the ceo (but don't tell his kid's mom, he has some back child support issues). However, don't get your hopes up because the whole thing is contingent upon me winning my lawsuit against Dog the bounty hunter, over defimation of character (the camera angles totally made me look fat when he dragged me out of my house and took me to jail). Also, for those of you who saw the episode, I WAS NOT CRYING, I am allergic to bad hairdo's and bad pidgeon, and dog and his wife sent me into a sneezing fit. So, stay tuned and keep your fingers crossed.

SocalHomey said:
Hugh - have you read the staffing formula? .
No and I don't know $hit about who's doing what with their schedules at HAL and don't pretend to. But when some dude generically says that flying on days off doesn't hurt the cause of those on the street-regardless of which airline-I raise the bull$hit flag.

SocalHomey said:
Have you been briefed by the MEC on the effects of recall on the furloughed pilots?
No, but I don't need any MEC to tell me that the effect of a recall on a furloughed pilot is probably a job with a paycheck.

Look, I just hope everyone on the street gets back into a cockpit, regardless of from which airline they might be furloughed. We all hope for that (well, all of us with any semblance of a heart do, anyway). If you are flying on your days off, and your brothers are on the street, you aren't helping them no matter who, how, or by what "formula" it is rationalized. So, relax, enjoy your days off and let the reserves pick up the open time when their phone rings. No matter what airline you work for, that's the best any of the members can do.

Again, I don't know squat about HAL, but I can do simple math. When someone shows you fuzzy math to rationalize something that is linear, be suspicious.....regardless of which airline for which you work.

Did I mention that I am not being specific about Hawaiian, just the concept of flying on your days off with people on the street? Is that lost on everyone, or just the select few who choose to wrestle with the pig?

I'll add to what X and 808 pilot are saying. Something is brewing and somehow HAL (the airline not the poster on flightinfo) is involved. Dunkerly supposedly told the Chief Pilot that someone IS buying AQ and it's not us. For some reason we are involved because Dunkerly says he cannot elaborate. Whatever the deal is, it apparently includes 8 more inter-island 717's as we are in Australia looking at them. As far as someone buying AQ and HAL from Ranch. I would have to doubt that as I would think it would have to be a lot more than $5 a share to make it worth while for Ranch, but who knows? For a new investor to start out by first paying off AQ's debt AND Ranch's profit is a lot of money. Like I said earlier, the airline industry is a giant chess game right now. This should be interesting.

bizjournals.com
Two airlines dominate Hawaii routes
Monday August 29, 2:00 am ET

United Airlines and Hawaiian Airlines account for almost a third of scheduled fall passenger capacity to the islands.
According to figures provided by the Hawaii Tourism Authority, half of air service to the state for the fall season will be provided by four carrers, those two plus American Airlines and Japan Airlines.

A look at the number of seats per carrier shows that United, which has trimmed global capacity 3 percent in the past year, flies at least 50 percent more seats to Hawaii than any other big five legacy carrier.

And Hawaiian now flies triple the number of Mainland seats as Aloha Airlines.

This is the air capacity to Hawaii, by carrier, for the month of October:

United: 679 flights, 142,428 seats, 18.3 percent of capacity. Hawaiian: 415 flights, 95,450 seats, 12.3 percent of capacity. American: 463 flights, 92,252 seats, 11.9 percent of capacity. JAL: 248 flights, 85,660 seats, 11 percent of capacity. Delta: 279 flights, 80,073 seats, 10.3 percent of capacity. Northwest: 279 flights, 76,136 seats, 9.8 percent of capacity. ATA: 220 flights, 49,452 seats, 6.4 percent of capacity. Continental: 199 flights, 47,585 seats, 6.1 percent of capacity. Aloha: 236 flights, 29,264 seats, 3.8 percent of capacity.

Source: Hawaii Tourism Authority. Size of aircraft and seat configuration affect differences in which carriers have more flights, versus more seats.
Published August 29, 2005 by Pacific Business News

808 Pilot said:
Take this for what it's worth.

I have a friend who works for a legal firm. She told me that her firm is working for an investment group and they have been working on a deal with Aloha. She says they are at the end or near the end of finalizing a contract with Aloha. This contract is contingent on a deal they are in the middle of working on with Ranch Capital.

Supposedly (don't shoot the messenger), this investor group will purchase Hawaiian from Ranch Capital if/when the court approves their purchase of Aloha. The rumor floating around her office is that the investment group is planning on creating one airline similar to the plan Greg Brenneman had.

I just heard a pretty good explanation for Hawaiians involvement. Inter-island gates. There has to be an explanation for Hawaiian to be involved in the talks. The cost of combining the 2 airlines, paying of AQ's debt and Ranch realizing a profit are astronomical. If someone was around with that kind of money and desire they would have shown up a year ago when Hawaiian's ownership was changing and Aloha could have been bought cheap. If you combined them, all you would have is an airline doing pretty much what Hawaiian is doing now. But if Aloha raises money by selling off the inter-island gates, it would free them up to trade their 737-700's for an appropriate trans pac airplane (757's). With oil at 70 a barrel, you cannot make a profit flying old 737's inter-island. Aloha needs a new fleet and it's too expensive to replace the inter-island AND the trans-pac fleet. Trans-pac has the most opportunity for growth for the new investor so inter-island goes. Also, Aloha has Island Air for inter-island feed.

There will be a new Aloha Airlines with 757's, lots off cities on the mainland could support non stop 757 service to Hawaii that don't have it now. The Chings and Ings save face, AND enhance their position in Island Air.
Looks like we'll find out Wed. if my speculating is close.

Hugh Jorgan said:
Did I mention that I am not being specific about Hawaiian, just the concept of flying on your days off with people on the street? Is that lost on everyone, or just the select few who choose to wrestle with the pig?
Wait a second. Are you talking about any airline or just HAL? Your last post was a bit vague.

Hugh Jorgan said:
-I raise the bull$hit flag.

Funny you should mention that. MY bs flag goes up when someone attempts to oversimplify a complex problem, such as you are doing here. Attempting to reduce a nuanced system of interactions to a bumper sticker slogan often distorts the issue. I’ll see your “fuzzy math” and raise you a “slam dunk,” where using selective pieces of information and conveniently ignoring others leads to a faulty conclusion. We’ve told you that if no one picks up ANY extra flying, and the reserves pick up the slack, not a single furloughee - myself included - will be recalled one day earlier. But you stick to your bumper sticker slogans...

My real point is that we’re all in the fight of our lives to preserve our industry, and this kind of mudslinging just perpetuates BS rivalries and weakens our unity. A few pages back were some false allegations to the tune of “HAL pilots eat their young.” Please explain to me how that is a wise use of our energy right now...

Latest resources

Back