• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Organization Of Black Airline Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How are white guys harmed? They are denied opportunities based on being the wrong race. As evidenced by the tales of US Air applicants being given gouge and preferential treatment white applicants weren't. That's called "reverse discrimination". and it's a daily FACT here in Atlanta.

Yes, you're 100% right. Nobody cares about him BECAUSE HE IS WHITE. If he were black, he would be eligible for all kinds of government and private scholarships, including ones from OBAP. And don't tell me for one minute that any caucasian has EVER been awarded an OBAP scholarship.

Have you ever been to the WHITE ghettos of Detroit? Warren? River Rouge? Dearborn? Or any city for that matter? Do you think the movie "8 Mile" was just a Hollywood fantasy?

Not only black poor kids are underprivileged. But they are the only ones anyone wants to help THAT is RACISM.

No such thing as reverse discrimination JP. That is discrimination. You, BBB and Caveman are all saying the same thing. And I agree with you guys. No race means no race. Why is it so hard for so many to be colorblind without exception?

Last edited:
On a similar note, having some old white guy walk into a class of young black students and tell them they can be whatever they want might sound a little suspect. How could somebody who would be perceived as being from the "suburbs" expect to have any credibility with the kids? I think the idea is having somebody who the kids could identify with be the one to deliver words of encouragement.

Maybe not the worst thing that could happen, after all, it would be the man, telling the kids that they could be whatever they want to be, IOW, the man is not trying to keep them out.

People like Jesse and Al are often trying to tell the black community, that they are not given a chance by the whites. That is the blame mentality and as long as it is perpetuated, we will not see the black community take their rightfull place in society as a whole.

Cosby spoke out and he was crucified, plenty of great black men and women has been labelled as being too "white" or as being the white mans pawn.

I agree with the posters that said, that change starts a home and I am always reminded of the story of the black inner city grandmothers who harrased the crack dealers so much that they left.

Interestingly, it is often the older blacks who, who are pushing this generations kids forward, ie, the grandparents are the one doing the pushing. Perhaps they can see, that opportunities present, will be missed and they can remember the past and how far we have come and yet they know, that we are not there yet.

I don't see the point in doing that, but if it was done, it would be considered racist.....Picking people because of race is wrong......be it white, black, brown, or yellow....

No,Its only wrong when a white person is doing it!

As to the hiring aspect that you railed on have you ever ASKED your airline HR how the hiring of minorities are handled?

Yawn...
Yes kid, I know how the hireing and how the firing is done.

Last count I had 19 civilian flying jobs.
Including instructor and check-airman on aircraft ranging from Piper Aztec to B-747.
I have signed off white and black guys, no incentives or extra pay for turning anybody down.
2 guys from Jamaica with Green-Cards failed to impress me and I did not sign the dotted line. :rolleyes:

Same with a few white guys from wherever..

Just be proffesional, do yer homework and fly the darn airplane..And uh, don't ever try to kiss ass, it is sooo easy to see through.

1 guy I gave IOE to an Argentinian guy on furlough from United, told me on first flight that I must have lots of luck with the ladies because I was so handsome.
Made me puke..Kissing arse without even blushing he did.

Typically the guys that can't fly try to talk and make friends.

Keep mouth shut, fly plane and be neutral.
If ya impress the check airman or the captain will buy dinner and drinks that evening.
If ya are useless, ya should be back working the taxi-cabs next week. Color or kissing won't fly the craft or impress nobody.

Last edited:
Did you do a interview prep?

Previous Millitary?

Will Fly for Food?

Air Inc?

All of the above will provide the same info the OBAP guys had. Where do you think they got the idea from?

The difference: All of the others besides OBAP would accept my application for membership (sans military).

And no, I relied on friends for the intel from the interview. Pure unadulterated, old-fashioned networking and hard work.

Still waiting for someone to tell us how they've been harmed by OBAP..... how the group is harmful...

Compartments and compartmentalization through partnership and plausible deniability while blaming "quotas" and "the government".

Not that it matters but I was flat out told but United's Nancy Stutke in 1997 that I "was not competitive for other pilots in my category".

I said, "Que?"

She said, "You need 7,000 hours and 4 type ratings to be competitive."

I say, "Well how come I know of a few friends at work (yes, I have black, yellow, red, female and brown friends:nuts: ) who just got hired with less time and less type ratings (3,000TT and 1 type).

She said, "You are a white male (under her breath)".

I just hit 7,000 hours in 2007. That's 10 years of potential seniority loss at a carrier that I never interviewed at because I am white and therefore not qualified. I withdrew my app and never applied again.

Not harmed by UAL/OBAP? Sure. I agree. OBAP is nothing more than a mechanism for recruiting standards UAL under Stutke championed.

I did also lose about 300 numbers at US Airways when I was held up for 3 months in the pool because, according to the pilot recruiting department (phone convo) that they needed to maintain a certain class ration quota in regards to EEOC requirements.

How much harm there? In light of what's happened at US with the seniority fallout? Nothing. I'd still be junior to a 2005 hire. What would it have meant though if I had gone on to retire like I was supposed to as #1... after being there for 4 years?

EEOC can kiss my white ass in regards to mandating hiring quotas for a safety sensitive job but then causing recruitment departments to adjust the mins downward for those minorities to qualify for an interview. OBAP wasn't part of a solution to this problem therefore, by default, it was not helping to solve it. At the very least, it resembled an arms dealer working with 3rd world countries.

Last edited:
Yawn...
Yes kid, I know how the hireing and how the firing is done.

Last count I had 19 civilian flying jobs.
Including instructor and check-airman on aircraft ranging from Piper Aztec to B-747.
I have signed off white and black guys, no incentives or extra pay for turning anybody down.
2 guys from Jamaica with Green-Cards failed to impress me and I did not sign the dotted line. :rolleyes:

Same with a few white guys from wherever..

Just be proffesional, do yer homework and fly the darn airplane..And uh, don't ever try to kiss ass, it is sooo easy to see through.

1 guy I gave IOE to an Argentinian guy on furlough from United, told me on first flight that I must have lots of luck with the ladies because I was so handsome.
Made me puke..Kissing arse without even blushing he did.

Typically the guys that can't fly try to talk and make friends.

Keep mouth shut, fly plane and be neutral.
If ya impress the check airman or the captain will buy dinner and drinks that evening.
If ya are useless, ya should be back working the taxi-cabs next week. Color or kissing won't fly the craft or impress nobody.

Wow! you are a legend in your own mind...

How are white guys harmed? They are denied opportunities based on being the wrong race. As evidenced by the tales of US Air applicants being given gouge and preferential treatment white applicants weren't. That's called "reverse discrimination". and it's a daily FACT here in Atlanta.

Yes, you're 100% right. Nobody cares about him BECAUSE HE IS WHITE. If he were black, he would be eligible for all kinds of government and private scholarships, including ones from OBAP. And don't tell me for one minute that any caucasian has EVER been awarded an OBAP scholarship.

Have you ever been to the WHITE ghettos of Detroit? Warren? River Rouge? Dearborn? Or any city for that matter? Do you think the movie "8 Mile" was just a Hollywood fantasy?

Not only black poor kids are underprivileged. But they are the only ones anyone wants to help THAT is RACISM.

Great point. And if you really want to see racism in action, try to get a pilot job ( or any job) with the federal government if you're a white male. You go to the bottom of the list.

Sorry Rez ;) But i find this ironic considering your fairly constant statements about ALPA membership apathy and uninvolvement and even your signature.
So you're saying that leadership does come first?
(!)

You want to compare relatively economically stable college educated professionals with inner city kids?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back