• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Organization Of Black Airline Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I fled the civil war in former Yugoslavia as a 15 year old. My hometown was under siege and constant artillery barrage. My parents stayed behind to protect our home and sent only my grandmother with me. We came to the U.S. with just a suitcase, each and that's it. What should I have checked off to even have a chance at an interview, let alone a job? Nothing... I hope my qualifications speak for themselves.

Instead of OBAP or WIA, why not make it gender and race neutral organization such as Pilots Living the Dream or something along those lines that's dedicated to helping out EVERYONE who came from a disadvantageous environment whether they're black, white, Asian, Hispanic, purple, green, male or female or undecided.

You don't correct previous racial injustices by promoting them the other way, i.e. OBAP, NAACP, UNCF, etc.

Last edited:
I fled the civil war in former Yugoslavia as a 15 year old. My hometown was under siege and constant artillery barrage. My parents stayed behind to protect our home and sent only my grandmother with me. We came to the U.S. with just a suitcase, each and that's it. What should I have checked off to even have a chance at an interview, let alone a job? Nothing... I hope my qualifications speak for themselves.

Instead of OBAP or WIA, why not make it gender and race neutral organization such as Pilots Living the Dream or something along those lines that's dedicated to helping out EVERYONE who came from a disadvantageous environment whether they're black, white, Asian, Hispanic, purple, green, male or female or undecided.

You don't correct previous racial injustices by promoting them the other way, i.e. OBAP, NAACP, UNCF, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH900FGqwKs&feature=related

Do you really think it is strictly about qualifications? Many of the comments on this board show how much we all have to change.

I agree about correcting previous racial injustices....our generation is just too ignorant and self serving to change....

and don't forget... a 15 yr old from yugoslavia had a much better chance than a black 15yor old from the good ole' US of A getting hired by the airlines...only just a few years ago.

Did you know that black veterans did not receive the same veterans benefits than their white counterparts (WWII)?

Why are harassment/discrimination classes and training still held at all american companies?

Botton line....I think time is the only solution to cure this situation....racism and classism will continue to be huge problems for our "forward thinking, heavily diverse" community.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH900FGqwKs&feature=related

Do you really think it is strictly about qualifications? Many of the comments on this board show how much we all have to change.

It's not. It's about the overall picture of an individual REGARDLESS of their race, sex, or national origin.

and don't forget... a 15 yr old from yugoslavia had a much better chance than a black 15yor old from the good ole' US of A getting hired by the airlines...only just a few years ago.

Really? How do you figure? All that black 15 year old has to do is have a dream and a goal in life, then apply him/herself towards achieving it. Are you saying that 15 year old black teens are somewhat less capable of having a childhood dream or applying themselves towards achieving their goals than kids from former Yugoslavia? Come on... you know that's bullsh*t.

This country is THE Land of Opportunity. If you want something bad enough and are willing to give it all towards achieving it, there's no stopping you. That's the beauty of this country.

Did you know that black veterans did not receive the same veterans benefits than their white counterparts (WWII)?

What about black vets from the Gulf War? Somalia? Iraq/Afghanistan? Are they getting less?

Why are harassment/discrimination classes and training still held at all american companies?

Hmmm.. ever been to Hawaii? You should see the racism against white people here. It's often hilarious. But it's very real... Let me put it this way - racism = ignorance.

Botton line....I think time is the only solution to cure this situation....racism and classism will continue to be huge problems for our "forward thinking, heavily diverse" community.

Agreed... but you have to look forward, not backward. You can either live in the past and continue a vicious cycle, or you can learn from the past mistakes and live looking forward to the future.

Last edited:
In America you have freedom. It's a great thing. You can choose to be a member of any group with pretty much any agenda as long as that group does not do anything illegal you can gather as a group and attempt to convince others to feel the same way you do. It is up to that person to decide what they feel. For those of you that want to start a "White Pilot Association" .... go ahead.... But I doubt you will get many people to openly "feel" like you because of the past wrongs in our country. But your well within your rights to do so. You won't see my joining either organization as I like to think for myself instead of have others think for me.

It's my personal opinion that there is nothing wrong with being proud of your ancestry and your families past. The things you have overcome and the accomplishments your family has made. This is the fundamental problem here, people fail to see why others are proud of their past. Look at the rebel flag for instance, many families had family members die under that flag. That doesn't make what they were fighting for right (even if they thought it was), but it might mean that some people might be sympathetic to their past. So to some it's a racist symbol but to others "great great great grandfather John" died carrying that flag. Diversity is what makes America great. If we all had the same past life would be very boring. Basically what I am saying is there is nothing wrong with being proud of one's heritage as long as you learn from the mistakes of the past and don't repeat them. Sooo... Black Pilot's Association and WAI... More power to ya! Hooray Freedom! Everyone should be proud that they live in such a great country where you can have any organization you choose.

Last edited:
I see you've been drinking the democrats koolaid. Diversity is just a code word for legal discrimination against white males. Wait'll Obama gets in the White House, you ain't seen nothing yet.

so diversity is bad? a threat?

Bull$hit.

I take it you don't have worthy reply?

White males claiming victim status= pathetic....

Really? How do you figure? All that black 15 year old has to do is have a dream and a goal in life, then apply him/herself towards achieving it. Are you saying that 15 year old black teens are somewhat less capable of having a childhood dream or applying themselves towards achieving their goals than kids from former Yugoslavia? Come on... you know that's bullsh*t.

WOW... I said that just a few years ago that a 15 yr old from yugo. would have a better chance of getting hired by an airline than a 15 yr old natural black male citizen... NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH LESS CAPABLE TO DREAM BUT IN TERMS OF GETTING HIRED!
Again, if everything is so fair and equitable in this country, the WHY does the US government require discrimination training, harassment training etc...? Why the need for organizations for the advancement of "minorities", or women? So, do you think the anti-discriminatory policies set forth by the US GOV is bullsh*t?

This country is THE Land of Opportunity. If you want something bad enough and are willing to give it all towards achieving it, there's no stopping you. That's the beauty of this country.

True...
You can get anything in this country as long as you have the money or the ability to access money...education, homes,etc? Why the need for EEOC when it comes to purchasing homes or applying for loans, college admission etc...oh, that's right racism does not exist anymore...

What about black vets from the Gulf War? Somalia? Iraq/Afghanistan? Are they getting less?

Finally no!!!

Agreed... but you have to look forward, not backward. You can either live in the past and continue a vicious cycle, or you can learn from the past mistakes and live looking forward to the future.

Agreed...
that is why we should encourage forward thinking... integrate hiring panels with younger pilots of all ethnicities, NOT just the silvered hair old dogs with their old way of thinking.... introduce new people who are forward thinking...

Maybe if ALL americans were more forward thinking in the past...we would NOT need EEOC or mandated government policies/programs ensuring racial and gender equality.

so diversity is bad? a threat? ... White males claiming victim status= pathetic....
Rez O. Lewshun – sometimes, in order to fight the political correctness battle, the ACLU types ‘invent’ a new language, or new ‘terms’ whenever the original meaning of the words seem offensive to some people.

"Affirmative action” is one of those taboo terms.

I fully realize that there are many forms of discrimination in America AND in many other countries. However, I doubt that you can win the battle against the discrimination and racism by imposing new forms of discrimination.

The affirmative action might have some very good intentions however, when people get preferential treatment over others due to their gender or their race (or any other reasons) - in affect you create a reverse form of discrimination, some even call it revenge discrimination.

Having said that - I will never fault minorities and/or women for using all the tools available to them in order to get the jobs they’re hoping for; all of us would do the very same thing.

In fact, I have personally been to several women-in-aviation seminars although I am a man.
Why? Well, I was using all the tools available to me as well – after all, the seminar catered primarily to women however it was open to both women AND men.

So what’s my point?

Sometimes, it’s easier to look in from outside. Having been born and raised in Europe I find the whole affirmative action debate truly perplexing. People mean well but end up causing even more problems.

Every now and then, when I type a letter to my folks back home I use free online translation services whenever I run into a technical term I can’t seem to remember in Swedish (my native tongue). One website I frequently visit is:

Swedish is a Germanic language and I know that you speak German so this should be easy for you.
I typed “affirmative action” into the search window and notice the Swedish interpretation I got.
(I translated the Swedish words 'verbatim' into English and typed them in blue text for everyone else)

English entry word:....affirmative action
Swedish translation:...positiv diskriminering; kvotering (substantiv)
English (verbatim):.....positive discrimination; quote system (noun)

»»» Well, if the discrimination is deemed “positive” to some it must be “negative” to others, wouldn’t you say? If so, wouldn’t that be reverse discrimination?

Also, this online dictionary explains the meaning of different words. Here the term "affirmative action" is explained in Swedish:

“tillvägagångssätt vid till exempel tjänstetillsättning då man prioriterar svagare grupper, till exempel kvinnor och invandrare, före andra grupper.”

And here’s my swenglish translation, so please bear with me:

a way to, for example through legislative means, prioritize weaker groups, for example women and immigrants, over other groups

(Blue text is my translation to English)

»»»

Here’s something else that you’ll appreciate. Go to this website and try to translate the very same term into German instead. (Even though I’m sure you already know the answer) ;)

English:...............affirmative action
German:..............positive Diskriminierung
English verbatim:..self-explanatory?

» » » « « «

Do you see my point? Discrimination is discrimination no matter how pretty we make the words that describe it. We call it affirmative action because people didn't like the more accurate term of “positive discrimination” so instead we, the society, invented a term that appears to be less offensive.

I do not know the solution to this problem. However, until we start call things for what they really are, we’ll never be able to find a solution to discrimination in this country.

Last edited:
I do not know the solution to this problem. However, until we start call things for what they really are, we’ll never be able to find a solution to discrimination in this country.

Nice... you got a long post but no solutions... the reasons why European languages don't have direct translations is because the Europeans until the new meillenium could afford to keep thier countries limited in race....

So now its a name.... calories are actually kilocalories... but it is easier and more accpetable to us fat americans to read calories on a nutrition label than kilocalories... Who wants to eat a chocolate bar with 240 kilocalories....

My involvement in this post is in response to those who rejected the solicitation of pilots to visit the inner city...

Point blank.... there is nothing wrong with a person of race helping another person of same race... if you want to point fingers at affirmative action, then go to our democratic gov't....

To be honest... I get tired of flying with white guys. The testosterone gets old, as does the arrogance...... I like flying with females and other races and nationalities like Scans....... different viewpoints are good.

What do you call an advantaged race that is indifferent to a disadvantaged race? Indifference?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back