• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA wants DOH

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just wait til NWA pilots hired in 1998 see that they will be junior to 2007 Delta pilots. Let the fire works begin.

But yet, if NWA was merging with USAIR east, DOH should be the way to go, right? Based on your opinion, it would be unfair to place a 1991 USAIR at the bottom of NWA. I guess this pilot would hold captain right away, and NWA guys would have to wait for their turn.

And in addition, USAIR should get credit for all the retirements they have coming up, after all they do have a lot more than you all.

Just two years ago Delta was in BK and had over a thousand pilots on furlough. Then they hire like crazy and all these pilots feel that they have better prospects then a NWA pilot who has been there for 10 years. What a concept.

I know what a concept, It could be so wonderful for you all, if you could only merge with USAIR. You all could get DOH, little overlap, great contract.... you guys would be so happy, and poor DAL would have to grow on its own.....We would really miss you, but somehow I think we would be ok... have a nice day, enjoy the great contract.

M

DAL4EVER

Hopefully ALPA can once again put DOH as a foundation to being a Union pilot and not base it on luck.

M[/quote]

More to it than luck. Pilots choose an airline for many reasons. Pay, benefits, fleet, growth, domiciles, financial stability, culture etc. etc. Some make better decisions than others and are hired by more desirable companies. Luck is but one factor! My suggestion, run for national ALPA office and work to change ALPA merger policy if it bothers you so much.

If there was a ratio type intergration 7 to 5 mixed where DOH was used to keep things fair in cases where a NWA pilot hired in 1990 wouldnt not be senior to a DAL pilot in 1985 or a DAL pilot hired in 2007 would not be senior to a NWA pilot hired in 2001. etc.

What does DOH have to do with anything. You need to get over the idea that your DOH affects where you go in a merger. Right or wrong, it is not a factor in an ALPA merger.

Argue aircraft, or pay rates, or retirements, etc. I'm tired of hearing about when you were hired. Doesn't mean a thing.

Excerpt from article below titled: Delta, NWA pilots lay out arguments over seniority
But Daniel M. Katz, an attorney for Northwest pilots, told the arbitration panel in his opening statement that the only truly fair way to integrate the two lists so that pilots on each side understand they are where they belong is to do it based on the date they were hired.
___

DOH is to a union what the gold standard is to money.

Whoever is led astray from it by glittery charms will have plenty of reasons to feel like it is antiquated and no longer useful, only to find the result is always the same. A melt down is unavoidable just like Wall Street is showing us now.

Last edited:
Right on turtle

M

No dog in this fight, but because of the DAL early-outs, only DOH with fences will work.

Don't let some arbitrators ruin your airline, your time invested is worth no more or less than your fellow pilot's.

Relative seniority is a windfall for DAL pilots because of over 2000 early retirements.

If you want to win the lottery buy a ticket, don't do it at the expense of your fellow pilot.

Relative seniority is a windfall for DAL pilots because of over 2000 early retirements.

If you want to win the lottery buy a ticket, don't do it at the expense of your fellow pilot.

People keep forgetting that the vast majority of the pilots who took early retirement only went a little early, and would have been gone before the rules changed from age 60 to 65.

Without these early outs there would have been no new hires and your SNL would look toally different now.

M

People keep forgetting that the vast majority of the pilots who took early retirement only went a little early, and would have been gone before the rules changed from age 60 to 65.

I never cease to be amazed when those who argue against DOH always revert back to attempts at diminishing the things that define DOH. In its place, they never supply anything more sophisticated than an offer to enter into a "fight to the death" among gladiators, so to speak.

ALPA has already suffered its "black monday" because it left DOH. It has already done great harm to the profession and will prove to be ALPA's own downfall.

MCDU is living, breathing, ranting proof that the DL and NWA guys need to work real hard with each other on this integration, even if it causes some pain. A good agreement is one that everyone hates equally.

As has been amply proven, almost anything would be better than the slow motion train wreck in progress at the new and improved USAir.

For the record: Since I am not party to either the AWA/US thing or the DL/NWA thing, I am not going to take a side. (Not that it would do anything but add to the sea of noise if I did.) But you DL/NWA guys have been given a cautionary tale that shines brighter than the sun.

Good luck.

Latest resources

Back