• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lear70 said:
Yes, they were.

No, I'm not, you egotistical a*s.

I didn't pass my United interview back in 2000. In retrospect, I am in a MUCH better position, having not had to go through a furlough during the worst hiring prospects EVER in the history of aviation, having had a job that pays the bills during this entire time, and now having an interview scheduled with a stable carrier that tops out above $200,000 a year after 15 years and an EXCELLENT retirement plan that they can't rob by law.

So no, most of us are THANKFUL, not bitter, that we didn't get hired on there. If you are one of the top 10% that are still making high six-figures and long international overnights, then congrats. But pull your head out of your a*s long enough to realize that YOU ARE IN THE MINORITY AT YOUR OWN AIRLINE, and indeed at ANY major airline.

We're also not "relishing" the hardships ANYONE is facing; quite the opposite, we're feeling the pinch along with everyone else and HOPING and PRAYING that this POS gets voted down and a REAL T.A. can be negotiated while the airline is shut down, because that's what it's going to take.

People like you are one of the main reasons this industry keeps spiraling down. "MY quality of life won't be affected, so I'm voting yes."

You sound bitter to me. The interviewer read you well.

Hvy said:
Unhappy, aren't you? Bitterness eating you up? Poor baby. Critisize all you want. My job isn't what it used to be but I'm able to cope and I'm looking forward to what the future holds. Enjoy the time you have left.

HVY, Please listen to what I’m trying to say. I see you have a high opinion of yourself and are happy in your job. Great, I’m truly glad for you. But PLEASE TRY to imagine if UAL told you to trade-in your Heavy for an RJ, and instead of HNL you’d be doing short overnights in LAN at 1/3 of your pay. I think YOUR job satisfaction might be down where mine is right now. You must remember that a little over a year ago your fate was uncertain too. By the way the "aurgument clinic" is on Monty Python.

To the rest of you reading this, I apologize for the personal banter. Back to the NWA discussion:

I think, unfortunately, that the TA WILL pass. I represent the ¼ of the pilots at NWA who will be furloughed. While it’s an easy decision for me to vote NO, I know it’ll be harder for the other 3/4s. Vote YES and keep your job or vote NO and roll the dice.

I think it’s only human nature, and more so Pilot nature, to want to hold on to the dream flying like HVY’s doing -- if you can.

Sadly, there will always be those of us who will order the sh*t sandwich for everybody, as long as they get the most bread.

Is it time to fall on our swords and make a stand so the industry will improve for everyone or play along and HOPE it gets better? Guess we’ll each decide for ourselves.

Hvy said:
You sound bitter to me. The interviewer read you well.
And you sound like a condescending pr*ck to me (and everyone else here). Too bad you slipped through the cracks of the hiring system.

Incidentally, I was a 29 year old 727 Captain when I interviewed at United; "bitter" was not a word used to describe me at that point, more like "on top of the world and loving life".

Nice try though, now dust off your cranium and come up with a useful, non-flame, cerebral response; if you can.

135Drvr said:
HVY, Please listen to what I’m trying to say. I see you have a high opinion of yourself and are happy in your job. Great, I’m truly glad for you. But PLEASE TRY to imagine if UAL told you to trade-in your Heavy for an RJ, and instead of HNL you’d be doing short overnights in LAN at 1/3 of your pay. I think YOUR job satisfaction might be down where mine is right now. You must remember that a little over a year ago your fate was uncertain too. By the way the "aurgument clinic" is on Monty Python.

To the rest of you reading this, I apologize for the personal banter. Back to the NWA discussion:

I think, unfortunately, that the TA WILL pass. I represent the ¼ of the pilots at NWA who will be furloughed. While it’s an easy decision for me to vote NO, I know it’ll be harder for the other 3/4s. Vote YES and keep your job or vote NO and roll the dice.

I think it’s only human nature, and more so Pilot nature, to want to hold on to the dream flying like HVY’s doing -- if you can.

Sadly, there will always be those of us who will order the sh*t sandwich for everybody, as long as they get the most bread.

Is it time to fall on our swords and make a stand so the industry will improve for everyone or play along and HOPE it gets better? Guess we’ll each decide for ourselves.

I'm not telling ANYONE what to do with the T/A. It's not MY T/A...it's not MY company. I don't have a bone in the fight. The only people I have addressed is those that have critisized UAL and are now critisizing NWA pilots for "not making a stand" for "the good of the profession" when they work for neither!

If you work at NWA and want to vote for or against the T/A it's really none of my business (nor anyone elses for that matter). It's YOUR company...you do what your heart tells you.

What I address is those that come on this forum and belittle others for "cheapening the profession" for not making that stand. They are not there...they have opinions...but in fact have no idea what is going on...and won't until they experience it first hand. And I would not wish that on ANYBODY.

I would like to think that pilots in your situtation have a good choice....as you will find out...you really don't. It will be a bad choice that allows you to hopefully keep your job and your way of life to a certain extent. Or you can choose "to make that stand" and shut the airline down. Again, your choice. Not mine. The pilots don't call the shots in a bankruptcy. You know who calls the shots in the end....those willing to bankroll your exit with their money. They will set the bar and you will follow their demands or your company will not get the money it needs. Harsh but straightforward. At UAL the people with the big bucks that financed our exit determined that in order to do so, we would have to drop our A plan. Pure and simple. We got screwed. You will probably get screwed too. Did we gave a choice? Sure, we could have made a stand and shut the operation down. We choose not to. And I'm glad we didn't. So are all the other people on the property and those hoping to be recalled off furlough soon.

If anyone doesn't like our choice...well...too bad! As you and your pilot group makes their choice I nor anybody else really has a right to question your decisions.

As far as my situation and my "cush" job. I was on the 747-400. Was. After bankruptcy I was surplused off the -400 to the 777 to the 767/757 to the 737. That's right...trained on 3 aircraft in 3 years. Except for the furloughed guys I took about the largest paycut on the property. Over 60%. I flew for 2 long years on the LCO. Working my butt off to do my part to help my airline survive. I am fortunate enough to be back on the 767 and life/pay has gotten better. I'm not back to that "cush" job on the 747 yet (how would those critisizing know whether it's cush or not) but I will be soon.

Good luck to you. Don't let the smucks on this board wishing for your failure goad you into voting a certain way. Their time may well come where they have the opportunity to "make that stand." Then we'll see what they really do.

Lear70 said:
And you sound like a condescending pr*ck to me (and everyone else here). Too bad you slipped through the cracks of the hiring system.

Incidentally, I was a 29 year old 727 Captain when I interviewed at United; "bitter" was not a word used to describe me at that point, more like "on top of the world and loving life".

Nice try though, now dust off your cranium and come up with a useful, non-flame, cerebral response; if you can.

Yeah? Well, I'm here. And fairly happy. Where are you?

yeah, that response required deep thought. Since you're going to stay on that flame-throwing plane, I'll toss a couple your way that you should be able to understand reasonably well.

Your response was more of the "I have mine, fu*k you." mentality. Nicely done.

Hope your family knows just how much of a sh*tbox you really are. Maybe I should date your daugher, she probably hates you and would enjoy a night on her knees in front of me just to piss you off.

Cheers! :)

Lear70 said:
yeah, that response required deep thought. Since you're going to stay on that flame-throwing plane, I'll toss a couple your way that you should be able to understand reasonably well.

Your response was more of the "I have mine, fu*k you." mentality. Nicely done.

Hope your family knows just how much of a sh*tbox you really are. Maybe I should date your daugher, she probably hates you and would enjoy a night on her knees in front of me just to piss you off.

Cheers! :)

Good luck on your interview. You'll need it.

You know, with your experience and age level I would expect better come backs from you. Something with a little more thought, a little more depth, and I could go on for a while stooping to your level, but I think I've had enough.

Just can't handle muck fighting for very long, so...

Thanks for the good interview wishes. :)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back