• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJA Uniform Change

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You schlep rich peoples bags in HOU in the summer when it's 35 degrees C and the dew point is 34.5 in long sleeve shirts for what purpose? The company says short sleeves are okay but you have a higher personal minimum?

Has any customer ever told you that they really appreciate your "can do" attitude exemplified by your willingness to sacrifice personal comfort in order to maintain an image that boldly proclaims "I am an idiot"?

Yes, Yes, and Yes . . . . . and that is why I will beat you out in an interview any day of the week!

As a 495er (okay..technically now a 'former' employee, as my current employer forced a resignation), I'd like to interject some financial prudence to the situation. New uniforms are all well and good (perhaps even worthy of 5 pages of discussion on FI) in a healthy, stable economy with abundant employment rates, IMO.

When I hear 'new leather jackets' at NJA, my thoughts immediately run to $$cost$$ (and how many jobs that may represent). When I was one of the last NJA new-hires (not too long ago), I was told that the company paid $1000 apiece for the 'Loro Piana' jackets alone. Not sure if true, but staggering if so.
Let's just assume for a moment that it is and that a leather jacket is of comparable per-unit cost:

2322 active NJA pilots* X $1000 = $2,322,000
-- this figure doesn't include NJI (as far as I know)..OR the 495 who, if all come back eventually, MGMT will have to

also purchase new leather for. $2,322,000 = 39 salaries on 2nd yr 7-7 pay. and also, IMO, I agree with:
Well count me in on the polo and slacks crowd. Seems to work for the rest of the corporate world. I just don't see the need nor have the desire to dress like the Love Boat captain. Remember, WE'RE NOT AIRLINE PILOTS! So let's quite dressing like it.

At my current (and growing, award-winning airline), we have a very casual-looking uni (no tie, hat, etc.)....and I love it!
Professionalism is a state of mind and is reflected in one's actions and demeanor, not in a love-boat Cpt uniform.

*--employee figures came from Airline Pilot Central

When I hear 'new leather jackets' at NJA, my thoughts immediately run to $$cost$$ (and how many jobs that may represent).

In case you hadn't figured it out, I am not in favor of the leather jackets for lots of reasons - including the 'jobs' they may represent!

My post wasn't directed at any individual, simply reinforcing what some on here have already vocalized, and I'm sure what most already thought.

Glad we're on the same page. I know how much NJ Mgmt seems to LOVE spending money on crap...err..items like this & perhaps it has its appropriate time: just now NOW!

I can also see how other 495ers who are staring down the barrel of foreclosures and foodstamps might take offense to this Mgmt decision.

...and that is why I will beat you out in an interview any day of the week!

Well that sounds like a challenge!

I accept. Dueling interviews. Two go in and only the best gets hired. You in long sleeves and me in...well, my interview suit has long sleeves too so we'll both have long sleeves, but whatever. The challenge is on!

Good luck sir, I interview well...

I was joking with you Waldom... keep it going

My goal is to be the first centenarian to fly for NetJets.......and I'l bring both my goggles and my googles on the road with me.

P.S. There were still a few 450 Stearman sprayers around in the '70s.

Last edited:
As a 495er (okay..technically now a 'former' employee, as my current employer forced a resignation), I'd like to interject some financial prudence to the situation. New uniforms are all well and good (perhaps even worthy of 5 pages of discussion on FI) in a healthy, stable economy with abundant employment rates, IMO.

When I hear 'new leather jackets' at NJA, my thoughts immediately run to $$cost$$ (and how many jobs that may represent). When I was one of the last NJA new-hires (not too long ago), I was told that the company paid $1000 apiece for the 'Loro Piana' jackets alone. Not sure if true, but staggering if so.
Let's just assume for a moment that it is and that a leather jacket is of comparable per-unit cost:

2322 active NJA pilots* X $1000 = $2,322,000
-- this figure doesn't include NJI (as far as I know)..OR the 495 who, if all come back eventually, MGMT will have to

Buck,

First of all, the LP coat was a mandatory uniform change that the company paid for.

Second, the leather jacket is an option that the company has made available. They have offered to subsidize some of the cost (although I haven't seen a number yet), and the rest can be paid out of the uniform allowance.

Third, the leather jacket is similar to the one in Charlie's Locker and that one has a price of $235.

So to follow you math, and assuming NetJets will fork over $100/ jacket we would be looking at a max expense from NetJets of $230,000. That is assuming everyone on the NJA list gets one, which I don't see happening.

I realize that isn't chump change, and could pay the salaries of 3 furloughed brothers. But the cost isn't going to be that high because of the guys who aren't going to buy it.

Latest resources

Back