• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJ Recalls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Airlines weren't forced into squat. They could have stalled negotiations almost indefinitely. No mediator was going to release a legacy carrier.

Not so much oil $25/brl 2000, $30/brl 2002. Airlines like GM were forced into contracts they knew they could not sustain. The first class passenger that was the back bone of their profit had been replaced by the internet price shopper. They are at the mercy of the purchasing public, who with Internet access has made the airline ticket a perfectly elastic commodity.

I know when we launched Independence Air oil was north of $85 per barrel. That was the same year UAL went BK. NWA and DAL were afterwards.

Airlines weren't forced into squat. They could have stalled negotiations almost indefinitely. No mediator was going to release a legacy carrier.
I am sure you truly believe that, and that is fine.

I know when we launched Independence Air oil was north of $85 per barrel. That was the same year UAL went BK. NWA and DAL were afterwards.
Not according to what I see here
January $29.44 July $27.39 February $32.13 August $28.33 March $30.26 September $25.14 April $25.22 October $27.07 May $23.61 November $27.66 June $27.23 December $28.83 2003 Average $27.69

didn't see $85 until late 2007

January $46.53 July $65.96 February $51.36 August $64.23 March $52.64 September $70.94 April $56.08 October $77.56 May $55.43 November $86.92 June $59.25 December $83-46 2007 Average $64.25

http://www.ioga.com/Special/crudeoil_Hist.htm check it out

Not according to what I see here
January $29.44 July $27.39 February $32.13 August $28.33 March $30.26 September $25.14 April $25.22 October $27.07 May $23.61 November $27.66 June $27.23 December $28.83 2003 Average $27.69

didn't see $85 until late 2007

January $46.53 July $65.96 February $51.36 August $64.23 March $52.64 September $70.94 April $56.08 October $77.56 May $55.43 November $86.92 June $59.25 December $83-46 2007 Average $64.25

http://www.ioga.com/Special/crudeoil_Hist.htm check it out

These might be monthly averages. I can distinctly remember KS & TM referencing $85 oil in 2005 when IDE declared BK. The labor contracts were not the underlying reasons for legacy airline Ch11s in the 2000s. That is patently false.

Those airlines willingly signed contracts they could afford at the time of signing. Lost revenue from 9/11, rising LCCs, higher operating costs, "shrink to profitability" etc were responsible for airline losses.

The RLA gives airline labor little recourse when management doesn't want to play. Those airlines could have drug negotiations out for years paying lip service to keep the job actions down. It's happened before.

Those airlines willingly signed contracts they could afford at the time of signing. Lost revenue from 9/11, rising LCCs, higher operating costs, "shrink to profitability" etc were responsible for airline losses.

The RLA gives airline labor little recourse when management doesn't want to play. Those airlines could have drug negotiations out for years paying lip service to keep the job actions down. It's happened before.
They could not put up with the pilot's tactics of cancelling flights due the second filament of the Lav in Use light being burn out, calling in sick, etc. It was driving pax away in droves. The contracts put them in a cost structure that was not sustainable. SWA, Airtran continued hiring after 9-1, why there cost structures that were sustainable. So go ahead push the NJ managment for industry leading compensation package, Oh! you already have one. After all what could go wrong.

BTW If things go south, JUS could be hiring send me a resume, your furloughees are doing just fine here..

A little thing called 911 didn't affect the airline biz did it?

That was the union's fault I guess

9-11 was the perfect storm, the recession had started about six months before, we saw our business levels drop significantly from the previous year, showing a slow down in manufacturing. Even before 9-11 airlines had started delaying class dates. How would I know this because some of our pilots ask to stay on after giving notice,. Then 9-11 pulled the rug out. The old airline model of living off the profit of the first class passenger was dead and the cost structure built around that model was an airline terminal disease. Maybe a little bit like the NJ model, only time will tell.

I agree with you in that you are worth what you negotiate. However, our difference is in who is doing the negotiating. If I and my employer negotiate, the result will satisfy both sides, no problem. When the union (and to be fair NJA's union is a pretty reasonable group) negotiates, it has the power collectively to inflict severe damage on the employer, sometimes resulting in compensation that is too high to be able to compete long term. In this case, the result of the negotiations is not satisfactory for both sides, as the company is just trying to stave off major damage threatened by the union. I hope NJASAP never bargains that hard.
I want to make a lot of money, but not if it beggars the company and the stockholders. if it does, we will lose our jobs, which is a bad thing.
This guy gets it.

BTWII I really do wish you the best, but I am reminded of my union days where the activists promised "more pay and more days off", until of course you had no pay and all your days off. I get real nervous about teasing the Tiger know as a job.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back