• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJ Recalls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well aware of the current state of the fleet, but NJA staffs according to demand. Current staffing is becoming inadequate for what we are now seeing in terms of aircraft revenue movements. Throw in the upcoming training bubble and again I can't rationally see how they will be able to push recalls into '17. An astute observer could conclude that these talking points from CMH might be tied to posturing for section 6.

I don't recall ever hearing anyone talk about staffing in terms of owner movements. I generally hear people talk about number of pilots per airplane which makes sense to me. Do you have a substantial number of relief crews stationed strategically around the country who are not assigned to a specific airplane? Any idea what the staffing level is now per airplane?

Staffing for demand is reliable info without getting into sources.

I certainly didn't mean to suggest otherwise. They were sincere questions meant to help me understand current staffing levels in terms I understand. No problem if it's not something you can share.

I never thought about it as "double punishment" but I can see that point of view.

I'm not nearly so hard over about creating a "new" pay scale system as in eliminating some of the stoooopid contractual limitations that end up hurting Owners such as the aforementioned five days of overtime per bid period or the hourly overtime.

Oh, and you can add the NRFO program to my list of stuff that can GO. We went around the world for 15 years without "special" pilots getting pantloads of extra cash to do a taxi check or an OCF.

Yes, an International trip in a far-flung locale was tubed last year because a NRFO had to be brought half-way around the world to TAXI a bloody airplane after maintenance. Forget about the extra cash they make. The productivity block itself is ridiculous.

And, for the record, I now refuse to be the "have-to-be-there-and-take-the-extra-risk-too-but-no-soup-for-you" guy on NRFO flights.

For purely safety and training reasons, of course.

I agree with your assertions about NRFO. Whose idea was that silly program?

While busier owner movements certainly help the case for needing more pilots. Staffing is most certainly strategically tied to number of a/c.....

An a/c can theoretically only fly 24 hrs in a day;).... to staff an a/c for a whole day only takes 4 pilots at 2 12 hr shifts... Thats a maximum number if the plane "were" to fly around the clock... We all know that doesn't happen.. Factor in vacations, training, etc.. and that gives them the fudge factor staffing model....

Of course when times were slower in 2009-?? they could reduce that number because they had tons of crews on standby from home or wherever... With only 394 a/c on property, those planes could fly around the clock and it still would barely affect the need for more pilots... It's the number of planes that will truly affect any chance of needing more pilots (that and the attrition that will take place shortly)

394 a/c and roughly 2550 pilots.. Every plane that is disposed of increases the number of pilots per a/c...They furloughed down to nearly 5 pilots per a/c back in 2010. Primarily because they hadn't disposed of any a/c yet...Slowly they have gotten rid of 100 a/c which brings the staffing level to whatever it is today.(6.xx)

I agree with your assertions about NRFO. Whose idea was that silly program?
Non-Routine Flight Operations, a FAA program for 121 operators, don't know if it applies to 91K or maybe it was picked up as a higher level of safety. This was brought about by a line crew on an Airborne DC-8 that were testing a stall warning device by going into an actual stall at night and then crashed.

Group I NRFO's can be flown by any crew on any flight, such things as see if the new radio in position 2 works at FL350.

Group II NRFO's directs provides that after certain maintenance procedures a local flight must be flown in day VFR conditions to determine if the aircraft is ready to return to line operations, such as removal and re-installation of a flight control. The airlines designate post maintenance check pilots to do the NRFO flights.

Latest resources

Back