• Start date
  • Watchers 73

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I really don't get the fascination with large aircraft. I'd rather fly a light twin for $200K a year than a 747 for $150K. As far away places go... so what, my favorite airport is the one where I park the airplane at and go home. It's all about QOL and pay, and QOL is far more important.

Unless you have flown large aircraft you really have a twisted impression on what it does or does not offer. I have flown both, from 737s to 747s. For me, I enjoy the much larger cockpit, world travel and 19-21 days off/month, just to name a few. To me, there is a huge difference in job satisfaction flying larger planes to Hong Kong, Sydney or Shanghai and seeing the world. Boise or Kansas City layovers just aren't for me.

Maybe once you've flown them you'll understand that fascination with larger aircraft. QOL on a large aircraft at my company is a pretty good lifestyle. Much better than the smaller ones.

This coming from bozo who thinks flying an ILS without a flight director in the sim is an ecliptic challenge. AA? Not even hiring idiot. DAL and United? Both still in bankruptcy with United not hiring yet either (and probably for a considerable while). SWA? Yeah - if you like the 737 gig for the next 30 years of your life. FDX and UPS - sure, understandable.

I think you need you need to take a break from your raw data ILS practice and smell the coffee buffoon. There are plenty of app's on file and they're hiring like crazy with confirmed orders on both 73 NG's and 787's at CAL. Yeah, when you were hired at CAL that may have been the case, but now we're replacing clown's such as yourself with guys that have a good attitude, and are glad to be here.

I'll let you get back to your callouts...

United has been out of bankruptcy for over a year.

You guys act like I'm Don Imus or something. I just said, I don't rip on the mil guys all the time. Just some of the times.

You guys going to call the rainbowPush coalition so they can picket me the next time I check in? Sensitive folks....:bawling:

You can rip on the military guys all you want. But when push comes to shove they can take off safely, navigate a jet route, fly an ILS or taxi back to the terminal just like you.

I'm just wondering how you would stack up against them landing on a carrier deck at night, dropping bombs or ACM? Not too well, I'd imagine.

Scrapdog, You need to learn a little about humility. Serving in the military is an honor and is done to protect our country. It is not about proving how cool you are on flightinfo. When you use your military job to try and discredit someone who has not done what you do, you cheapen your service and give other military members a bad name. Just something to think about.

I don't think Scrapdog is putting anybody down. The guy has flown combat in the Eagle and Fighting Falcon. FOR A GUY LIKE THIS, FLYING FOR AN AIRLINE IS BORING AND EASY!!!! And no, I am not kissing his butt. It has to be hard for him to read this stuff on here after what he has done. I look up to Scrapdog.

Look, here's the deal SWA/FO. You are a man of words and no action, plain and simple. You love to bag on military guys (it is a pathetic trend for you - you do it over and over), yet you've never served your country. I don't need any thanks from you about serving, I'm glad to do it and I'm very proud...however if you're going to give me sh*t about my military service as a "kernel" (which everytime you say it, you sound like a retard) or my flying abilities (which I can garuntee you I can fly your a$$ out of a paper bag), then at least have some credibility by having somewhat of a military background as well.

Look dude, I do the same job as you - I fly the 737, and it's not that friggin hard. I know, I just crushed your little world...but besides having a non-normal, or a gusty crosswind, it's not rocket science. However, leading 4 jets downtown on a opposed surface attack mission with both an air-air and air-ground threat is extremely challenging, time and time again. That of course, you would have no clue about...however I think my point is proven.

You going to keep giving me sh*t about being a VFR F-teen pilot and a "kernel?" Fine, but back it up...and that's something you'll never be able to do.

So you've got things wired as a brand new FO in an airplane you've got no experience in at airports you have no experience going into? Are are you even off IOE yet? Bet you're a treat to fly with.

Judging by the types of planes you fly or have flown (in your sidebar), you really don't care about the size of any plane. If you actually had a chance to fly something larger, you probably would love it, and a 737 would seem like a light twin. I flew 747s for Tower Air before they went away, and it really was great. Wouldn't it be great to fly a large plane to far away places for great pay? Most majors will offer that again.

Why are you so concerned about what a/c people fly & where they fly them to? Seriously. What's your deal with this?

I'm just wondering how you would stack up against them landing on a carrier deck at night, dropping bombs or ACM? Not too well, I'd imagine.

Well, I guess if I received training just like the mil folks did, then I could probably do it. But this train of thought does not transfer over on the other side of the fence.

Some f-teen folks figure, since they fly a fighter they can fly an airliner. I've heard some nasty radio work, improper calls to ATC, and most don't even know what the AIM is. Sure they can fly.

I was recently asked about lost comm procedures from a new Capt. (who is a zoomie), he frankly didn't know what he would do if he lost all his radios? Or I should say what he wanted to do was 180 degrees off of what the FAA expects one to do. This is something I have known since I was 18 years old.

Are these bad people? no. If a mil guy approaches his new civilian job with an attitude that he doesn't know everything and wants to learn his new job. I don't have a problem.

When an f-teen claims 2000 hours of fighter time is worth 10000 civilain time - I have to laugh very hard.

If I was to learn mil stuff, I would show up to learn. I would not walk around with a stick up my a$$, demanding respect cus I flew civilian airplanes. Calling people un-American cus they don't like my opinion or attitude.

You know what guys you're forgetting about the best aviators, us Navy guys.

You know one time my RIO Goose and I were flying over the Indian Ocean and we got into a negative 4g inverted dive with a Mig-28 at a range of about 3 feet!! Tell me any of you could do that. The Navy was so impressed they sent me to Top Gun school. I showed them a thing or two about how to fly an F-14 - who cares about a hard deck, I still waxed the instructors tail! And to top it all off, I banged one of the chick instructors, who looked a lot like Kelly McGillis. You civillian and Air Force clowns couldn't hold a candle to me...

In all seriousness, there are some of us out there who would love to have the chance at either CAL or SWA. Those of you who are employed by either company and argue about which one is better sould like a bunch of spoiled trust fund brats arguing over whether their daddy's Mercedes or BMW is better.

Last edited:
You can rip on the military guys all you want. But when push comes to shove they can take off safely, navigate a jet route, fly an ILS or taxi back to the terminal just like you.

Another typical military pilot who thinks he/she is better than his/her civilian counterparts. You had be trained to drop your bombs and land on a carrier unless, of course, you are suggesting you are just that good and you came out of the womb with those skills. The civilian pilots you feel so superior to could easily be trained to do your military flying. The equalizer here is you already operate in the civilian environment and they already do it better than you.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back