• Start date
  • Watchers 73

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why would you not leave CAL for SWA. CAL has taken huge paycuts..SWA has not and got a raise, CAL has furloughed many times and probally will again..SWA has never furloughed..a 777 CAL capt pays equal to a SWA 737 capt...the pay and QOL has been has forced down at the legacy its a totally different job and it will be for years yet!!! SWA is probally a better place to be at now overall..

Good luck with that. I predict Southwest will negotiate a CONCESSIONARY contract, the next round. The majors are all coming back, and the arrogance at Southwest will be crushed.

Good luck with that. I predict Southwest will negotiate a CONCESSIONARY contract, the next round. The majors are all coming back, and the arrogance at Southwest will be crushed.
OK... I thought I got on MY high horse from time to time.

Not to pick on you in particular Jonny, but some of you need both a reality AND a humility check.

SWA has NO reason to be forced a concessionary contract, not to mention that it's against their own corporate philosophy. They may only get COLA raises this time around and a few QOL tweaks, but concessionary? WTF are you smoking?

And military - vs - civilian... are you somehow a better pilot by flying an F-14, F-15, YF-22, Space Shuttle around? Let me let you in on a little secret... I was jumpseating home in the front with a Navy fighter guy doing his line check as a new-hire at SWA. I had just come from a trip as a Supplemental Freight 727 Captain where the 1,500 hour newly upgraded F/O had just about earned us a trip to the Chief Pilot's office.

The SWA F/O had ZERO situational awareness, got chopped and dropped abeam the field into BNA with 600/2 weather, and wouldn't bring the boards out or slow and dirty up. Watched him totally overshoot the approach and was still trying to dive for it when the CA took the aircraft and brought us back around.

Long story short, NO ONE is any better than anyone else in this game. It's a JOB for crying out loud. One that you can take pride in your skills for, once you develop them, but the military guy isn't ANY better at it than the civilian guy.

Did I serve? Nope. Did I try? You betcha. Was working with the Marine's Aviation program on campus my Junior and Senior year and got disqualified due to a snowskiing accident and pins in my ankle. It SUCKED, and it's one of the few things in this life I regret. I appreciate every soldier's contribution to this country, pilot or otherwise, but I bow to no one.

Incidentally, that's one of the basic premises of this country that you swore to uphold... you know... the one where all men are created equal?

Jeez... Let people choose their own career path. No need to get into a mud-slinging contest.

Kids these days... Jeez... ;)

p.s. To those who are bashing Legacy pilot pay these days,,, watch and learn as the cycle continues. There's a REASON the SPC at these carriers are already spooling up. It's going to be a VERY ugly time for aviation as these contracts come up, the companies have been profitable, the pilots demand some pay, bennies, and work rules back, and the airlines find bankruptcy a more difficult option this time around.

SWA is a GREAT place to work, my friends love it, but it won't remain top dog forever... That's just how this industry works. But just wait, you'll see. :)

You guys don't do a LGB - OAK run after that? Or a JFK - BUF? (just say "yes")

No

Yes It does exist, I have done an OAK leg after a LGB or vise-versa. How many examples do you want for one legs days?

JFK-SJC/SJC-BOS/BOS-SEA/SEA-JFK

JFK-LGB/LGB-BOS/BOS-OAK/OAK-JFK

etc.

Serving in the military is an honor and is done to protect our country. It is not about proving how cool you are on flightinfo. When you use your military job to try and discredit someone who has not done what you do, you cheapen your service and give other military members a bad name. Just something to think about.

Thanks, this is what I was thinking..... There sure isn't enough room to pat this guy on the back cus his hand is already there (in the way).

Wrong!

Not everyone is born with a small penis there Shorty.
Have you ever seen a human baby? Yes, every man is born with a small penis. And small fingers and toes and a button nose. In fact, the only thing that's full-size when you're born are your eyeballs.

Oh, and just so I can say something on topic, back in the late '90s through 2001 many pilots hopped from major to major. There used to be a poster here named G4G5 who bragged about jumping from NW to AA to DL. Not worth it IMHO but who am I to judge.

You have never flown a large plane, so you will continue to feel that way. It is great you love going home so much, just hope your marriage doesn't fall apart and then you will be stuck flying that light twin, back home all the time. Your view is very myopic, since you fly RJs. A 737 is huge to you. If you were already flying widebodies and then got bumped down to a smaller plane (like I did when the company went away) you would feel different.

I don't know, I got "bumped" out of the DC8 and fly a citation now, QOL of 10000 times better and the pay is about the same. An airplane is an airplane, being home with the family and making a descent living are important to me.

I don't know, I got "bumped" out of the DC8 and fly a citation now, QOL of 10000 times better and the pay is about the same. An airplane is an airplane, being home with the family and making a descent living are important to me.

i keep noticing the phrase 'descent living'. what does this mean? is it a life that always goes downhill? i just can't figure it out.

any help?

i keep noticing the phrase 'descent living'. what does this mean? is it a life that always goes downhill? i just can't figure it out.

any help?

Of for god sakes, I am so sorry, DECENT living. Fingers typing faster than the brain can think.

Feel better now?

Btw....

the best pilots are ex-Army infantry guys, 11B, get the job done, no whining, no cool nicknames, no goofy ascots, no bragging, just results....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back