Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NetJets' Captains need to get over themselves!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
Per the contracts with NetJets and the owners (pax), ALL NetJets crew members are fully trained as a Captain. The FOM and etiquette demand the PIC fly from the left seat on owner trips, however on ferry legs it is at the discretion of the PIC who sits in the left seat.

What are you talking about Fisch? I fly owner trips from the right seat every day as do hundreds of other SIC's at Netjets. Neither the FOM nor etiquette suggest otherwise as far as I know. In fact, I'm pretty sure the company would like all SIC's to fly from the rt seat all the time. They just haven't worked out the details yet.

They (the SICs) can not take a type ride from the right seat. Most of the planes that are on property can only be started from the left seat. Remember the check ride is a 135 ride. It's an FAR thing.

You'll have to show me the FAR that says a type ride, 135 ride, or any ride must be taken from the left seat.

I think G200 Pilot is closest to correct. It is a training syllabus issue with taxiing and getting right hand circling approaches approved.

I don't really care which seat I fly from, but I don't like being trained and checked in one and flying the line from the other. Not a huge issue for me but it doesn't seem like the safest practice to train differently than you fly on a daily basis.

What are you talking about Fisch? I fly owner trips from the right seat every day as do hundreds of other SIC's at Netjets. Neither the FOM nor etiquette suggest otherwise as far as I know. In fact, I'm pretty sure the company would like all SIC's to fly from the rt seat all the time. They just haven't worked out the details yet.
Sorry I wasn't clear. SICs do not fly pax legs from the left seat. Right seat? No problem!

You'll have to show me the FAR that says a type ride, 135 ride, or any ride must be taken from the left seat.

I think G200 Pilot is closest to correct. It is a training syllabus issue with taxiing and getting right hand circling approaches approved.

The PTS for a 135 checkride calls for the pilot to safely taxi an airplane. Like I said, in most cases, this can only be done from the left seat (tiller.) Currently, our training guidelines are set up in a way that assumes every pilot is a PIC. This has now come back to bite them in the arse. We all know it takes an act of congress to change anything here so I would plan on seeing a change sometime in 2009.

The reason why I sound so involved is because I have been a very big opponent of the new rules. I feel that it was a slap in the face to the G200 SICs that have been flying airplanes from the left seat for 30 years. 2007 was a bad year for the 200 and things had to change. Holding the SICs in the right seat wasn't the answer to their problems. It was a knee-jerk reaction to show the FAA and upper management that change was taking place. I have been through 2 recurrents so far since the new rules went into effect and both times, I was paired up with an SIC. Both times, my hands had NO idea what they were doing from the right seat and his had no idea what they were doing from the left seat. I could care less about my inadequacies in the right seat but I really don't think it's fair to tell a guy that he's going to be stuck in the right seat every leg but then is expected to take a checkride from the left seat.

Hey, isn't this thread supposed to be about some whiney-ass ___________ complaining about NJA captains???? :bomb:

Captain sits in left seat - flies a leg. SIC sits in right seat - flies the next leg. Continue to alternate for rest of trip. Exchange fond farewells and enjoy your days off.

If you collect the Captain paycheck and sign for the jet - you sit on the left side. If you collect an SIC paycheck - you sit on the right, regardless of how many hours or type ratings you have.

There is no valid argument for not letting an FO fly every other leg, unless your procedural and regulatory guidance calls for it. (Special airport, monitored approach, etc.) When it occurs, a good Captain will make sure that the FO does not get "cheated" out of their flying. (Giving them another leg to make up for the one they lost.)

Your SIC met the requirements of a type rating, yet some of us want to believe they have to somehow jump through the flaming rings of our more exacting "personal" standards before we allow them to touch the controls with pax in back?

Give me a break.

If you aren't sharing, you have issues. With your own airmanship and confidence and/or with your practical application of CRM. I'm not casting stones here - I used to do this crap myself when I didn't know any better and that's what it is: crap.

Why is it so many Drama Queens want to make this profession so much more complicated than it needs to be?

I can't think of any reason a SIC couldn't do 99% of the type rating and Pt 135 training and checkride maneuvers from the right seat. If taxiing can't be done from the right seat, it could be done from the left.

As someone who does sit in the right seat at NJA, I couldn't care less which seat I sit in during a check ride. I can't believe it's all that big of a deal. Are you telling me you can't accomplish the same maneuvers from either seat? Not sure of the other fleets, but you have to be in the left seat to be able to deal with any start malfunctions. So, sit in the left seat and do your check ride. If you aren't competent enough to get it done, then go do something else.

I can't think of any reason a SIC couldn't do 99% of the type rating and Pt 135 training and checkride maneuvers from the right seat. If taxiing can't be done from the right seat, it could be done from the left.

Believe it or not, it's not that simple here at NJA. Again, like I said before, our training guidelines are VERY strict. To the point that our instructors CAN'T do anything "outside the box." The way NJA has it set up, we each have 120 minutes to accomplish 180 minutes worth of procedures. We have NO time for anything extra. The FSI instructors are given a book that contains our lesson plans. They have no choice but to follow it to a tee. Those that have strayed from it have been disciplined/terminated. It's not something the company nor FSI takes lightly. That being the case... in order for it to be done the right way (SICs trained and checked from the right seat) the entire lesson plan has to be re-written AND APPROVED. That's where they're at right now.

I'm done. I've told you everything I know about it. If you still have doubts or questions, call the pilot hotline, press "0" and ask to speak with the DO.

As someone who does sit in the right seat at NJA, I couldn't care less which seat I sit in during a check ride. I can't believe it's all that big of a deal. Are you telling me you can't accomplish the same maneuvers from either seat? Not sure of the other fleets, but you have to be in the left seat to be able to deal with any start malfunctions. So, sit in the left seat and do your check ride. If you aren't competent enough to get it done, then go do something else.

I think you'd be surprised how many SIC look at it a bit differently than you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back