Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NetJets' Captains need to get over themselves!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
To each their own, but quite frankly I could care less if I fly all the legs, no legs, pax legs only or ferry legs only. I get paid the same either way. All I care about is that I don't get called to CMH and/or don't have to fill out any safety reports. To me, that is a successful tour.

Until the pilot has attended their first recurrent training, the SIC shall fly only from the right seat, at the Captain's discretion, regardless of whether there are passengers on board. Once the SIC has attended his/her first recurrent, the SIC may, at the Captain's discretion, fly empty legs from the left seat.

Gutshotdraw, when I see "their first recurrent" do you mean a 6 month ride or their 12 month recurrent at NJI?

Thanks!

B,

First recurrent after six months on the equipment.

Mike,

Even though efficiency has improved, we still fly a fair number of empty legs. This tour was 50-50. Most of the SIC's decline flying from the right seat in favor of ferry legs from the left because flying a Gulfstream from the right seat is a PAIN IN THE ARSE. Given the tiller steering only being on the left, position of the gear handle and other switches, and the "hands on the power lever dance" required by our FOM (SIC advances the levers, then the Captain taps the hands off and takes the PL's until V-1 in case of an abort, in which case it's the Captain's airplane. Then on landing the Captain taps the SIC off the PL's leaving the runway), blah, blah, blah. It's just easier to fly from the left seat whenever possible.

The SIC's get plenty of legs to work on aircraft handling and every passenger leg develops BOTH pilot's customer service skills. I sometimes have the SIC greet the client even when I'm flying the leg so I can be the baggage b!t)h and they can schmooze the folks. Basically, whatever gets the job done safely, efficiently and within the terms of our SOP's.

All I want is standardization. When it comes to flying, left seat or right seat, passenger legs or ferry legs it does not matter to me. It would be nice to know as a SIC what you are going to get instead of having a different set of rules for every PIC I fly with. Yes I know that there will be little things that are up to a PIC's discretion, but please don't rewrite the whole FOM to fit your style.

What is the big deal about which seat you fly in? I know the arguement is trading legs, but I think some people are getting torques around because they dont get to fly left seat.

Don't know about any of you guys, but I'm perfectly capable of screwing up from either seat. Only difference is which side of my face sweats when something comes unglued.

All I want is standardization. Yes I know that there will be little things that are up to a PIC's discretion, but please don't rewrite the whole FOM to fit your style.

Well, I'm glad you recognize the need for standardization. As a Captain I feel the same need. I wish the F/O's would be standardize to the point where they can properly prep a cabin and all the stock on an aircraft.

This is an issue that falls squarely in the lap of the Company.

You, as an F/O, want to know what every Captain is going to do and I, as a Captain, want to know if an F/O is going to preform their duties properly.

Here's the deal as I see it..... As long as an F/O can prove they can do their job, I will afford them duties adherent to their position.

When all is said and done.....Its my responsibilty and I will deligate those responsibilities accordingly. If you don't like it......Oh well. Gear up.... flaps up....coffee, paper ,ice.

I've only had to pull this crap twice in my 10 years of being at NJA. But I have no problem in speaking my mind as any of the F/O's (or junior Captain) I have flown with will testify to. The owner comes first....no IF,ANDS, or BUT!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I actually enjoyed this thread... Hey, it is good crashpad entertainment to see how the "other half" lives!

Someone educate this poor piece of scooter trash: What is with all of the seat switching and leg swapping drama? Is there a lack of confidence in the SIC's ability to safely and comfortably land an airplane in which he holds a type rating (passengers or not)? Is it simply that the passengers are more confident if the captain flies the airplane? Why do people care which side of the airplane they sit on? What difference does it make if the paycheck doesn't change?

Seriously! I am not trying to add to the arguement at all, I am just really curious about the cultural differences between airline flying and the frax world. I'm not flamebaiting in the least. I am just curious, so someone indulge me.

The funny thing is, in my flightdeck if the proverbial excrement impacts the air accelerating device, one of the first things I do is hand the physical flying over to the FO. That allows me to step back, look at the big picture and do all of that captain stuff we are supposed to do. From an outside observer's prospective it seems that the culture at NJA is radically different.

For the record: I have been trying to get on at NJA forever. 10,000 hours, 5 years as a 121 captain and no love. If I am ever successful, I personally would be happy to sling gear and talk plenty of legs for the QOL you guys and gals enjoy. I know for a fact that I am not alone in that opinion.

I agree with the stock in the back. I am sick and tired of going out to an airplane on day one to find that the cokes, snacks and jepps are out of date. I am also amazed that there are people that just throw stuff in the snack drawer or liquor cabinet. If you talk to the pics that I fly with they will all tell you that I take at least 30 minutes the first time I am at a locker, take every stock item out to check the date, vacuum the drawers out and restock the airplane.

So if we ever get to fly together you can count on the back being in good shape.

Last edited:
Even though efficiency has improved, we still fly a fair number of empty legs. This tour was 50-50. Most of the SIC's decline flying from the right seat in favor of ferry legs from the left because flying a Gulfstream from the right seat is a PAIN IN THE ARSE. Given the tiller steering only being on the left, position of the gear handle and other switches, and the "hands on the power lever dance" required by our FOM (SIC advances the levers, then the Captain taps the hands off and takes the PL's until V-1 in case of an abort, in which case it's the Captain's airplane. Then on landing the Captain taps the SIC off the PL's leaving the runway), blah, blah, blah. It's just easier to fly from the left seat whenever possible.
I haven't flown a leg from the left seat yet. I'm trying to spend my entire tour in the right seat of the GIV since I'm seatlocked I'm not moving.

Wolfy tried to get me to swap but its not happening. :)

As far as the rest of the duties I spent 7 years greeting pax and chatting them up. Now I just want to throw bags, check the oil, and do the walkaround in the rain.

Last edited:
Seriously! I am not trying to add to the arguement at all, I am just really curious about the cultural differences between airline flying and the frax world. I'm not flamebaiting in the least. I am just curious, so someone indulge me.

In my opinion this has been the culture at NetJets all along. The reason this is coming out now is we have two almost three year SIC's on property that are looking at two to three more years of putting up with the 2%ers.

There are also a fair amount of people hired in the last three years that had zero corporate time before NetJets. They are having a hard time learning that we do more than fly. I see this every now and then by the condition an aircraft is left to the next crew in. (stock, jepps, interior cleaning...)

DO-82 has a valid argument. If a SIC wants to get on a captian for not being standardized then he must be standard himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back