• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Most well known accident?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So, what if.. A terrorist MEANT to do one thing, but accidentally did another? Like, what if the 767 was supposed to hit the Empire State Building instead of one of the twin towers?

Is that an accident?

UnAnswerd said:
What was that accident where Russians shot down an American airliner because it penatrated thier airspace???

You mean Korean Airliner... KAL Flt# 007

I can't say which accidents got the most coverage. I can look at a few and see which are the more significant ones.

June 30, 1956 United DC-6/TWA Super Connie Collied over the Grand Canyon. Not the most fatalities in an accident, not the most recent in many people's mindes. But the effect was a complete change in the way air traffic control opperates. One more note or bit of trivia on this one. The TWA Employee Calendar, when flipped to July the next morning, displayed a beautiful picture of the Grand Canyon. (My Dad was a TWA ticket agent in Los Angeles at the time and it was one of his most vivid memories of the accident.)

The PSA 727 mid-air with the C-172 over San Diego had the effect of creating the San Diego TCA (now Class B) and raising the upper limits on the LA TCA and also merging several air traffic control operations.

The Souix City Crash is why we have so much emphisis on Crew Resource Management.

The Mid-Air between a Hughes Air West DC-9 and an F-4 Phantom over the San Gabriel Mountains also had the effect of no longer having seperate military and civilian air traffic controlers in the same sectors.

These are just a few that I can think of.

Last edited:
TiredOfTeaching said:
The most remembered accident is when you try to fart and crap your pants instead. If one of buddies does it, nobody forgets.

The word you're looking for there is, "Shart"

-mini

In Tenerife, the pilots mis-understood a clerance from the tower, which caused them to takeoff and caused the accident, correct?

The captain assumed. The transmission was blocked and the captain, who was running out of crew rest, commenced a takeoff run.

CorpLearDriver said:
The Mid-Air between a Hughes Air West DC-9 and an F-4 Phantom over the San Gabriel Mountains also had the effect of no longer having seperate military and civilian air traffic controlers in the same sectors.
What's the details on this accident? I've never heard of this before.

Latest resources

Back