Most well known accident?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I.P. Freley said:
For the record the airplane didn't attempt a takeoff, it DID take off. It just happened to hit another airplane immediately thereafter. KLM was just far enough off the ground to basically rip the top half off the other 747 involved in the, *ahem*, accident.

If you are going to discount "negligent acts" from inclusion as "accidents", you are writing off 2/3 of the airline accidents that have ever occurred. I think you're being a wee bit too literal in your application of the term "accident". As far as I'm concerned, every crash mentioned in this thread (and dozens more) are all accidents, whether the circumstances were indeed "accidental" or the result of negligent acts. I understand your point about perhaps not including terrorist acts, but anything else is absolutely fair game.
To back you up, the NTSB still calls them "accidents". However, since a lot of their reports are in the preliminary phase, it would be unfair for them to call it the "NTSB Negligence" reports.

I think the original poster of this thread would have did better if he would have substituted "disaster" for the word "accident".

Not Counting September 11, I would say TWA 800.

No, I have to agree with Tenerife. It was the single most deadly accident. There were others, espcially AA191, which were caught on tape, etc etc, but Tenerife was the big one.

There was no tape at Tenerife, just fog.

Cutlass1287 said:
Not Counting September 11, I would say TWA 800.
That's a good one as well. Theres enough consipiracist theorys out there that we'll be seeing many more shows on this for many years.

And the Sioux City crash I will agree as also right up there at the top. Everyone will always remember that amateur video crashing in a fireball across the runway.

And guys, seriously, why are we debating whether or not Tenerife was an accident or not? My gad... 500+ people lost their lives when two 747's collided on the runway. Who's to blame for it is not the issue, the severity of the crash is all the same.

Besides, again, it being the most devestating (fatality wise) crash in the history of aviation, the majority of common people would go blank if you mentioned the word "Tenerife." Its very well known in aviation circles, but outside of that, not many people know, or atleast remember, it.

The first or second crash of the Phoenix? :)

User997 said:
And guys, seriously, why are we debating whether or not Tenerife was an accident or not? My gad... 500+ people lost their lives when two 747's collided on the runway. Who's to blame for it is not the issue, the severity of the crash is all the same.
Whose blaming anyone?

The most remembered accident is when you try to fart and crap your pants instead. If one of buddies does it, nobody forgets.

TiredOfTeaching said:
The most remembered accident is when you try to fart and crap your pants instead. If one of buddies does it, nobody forgets.
there you go...if you can say, "ooops, my bad!" then it's probably an accident. If you have to say, "ooops, I ain't saying nothing until I talk to a lawyer!" it's probably a negligent act.

Latest resources

Back