• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Most well known accident?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What difference does the source of fire have to do with anything. I read through the link posted above, and I fail to understand what difference the source of ignition would have made in the final outcome. Regardless of the source of ignition, or what direction the plane was heading in the preceding minute before the crash, or the EXACT time at which the airplane crashed has no bearing on the final outcome of the situation. Maybe I am failing to pickup up on something here, but I'm not sure if re-opening this accident report will do anything, besides possibly substantiating a very poor conspiracy theory.

Opening the accident investigation will reveal no new evidence in my mind. The lessons that were learned from this investigation hopefully have been applied to present day operations.

--Bongo

Bongo said:
What difference does the source of fire have to do with anything. I read through the link posted above, and I fail to understand what difference the source of ignition would have made in the final outcome. Regardless of the source of ignition, or what direction the plane was heading in the preceding minute before the crash, or the EXACT time at which the airplane crashed has no bearing on the final outcome of the situation. Maybe I am failing to pickup up on something here, but I'm not sure if re-opening this accident report will do anything, besides possibly substantiating a very poor conspiracy theory.
What difference does the source of ignition have to do with anything? I guess you're right...what difference does it make if the government pins the broken Airbus horizontal stabilizer on the co-pilot? What difference does it make, indeed?

I have to say with almost certainty that JFJ Jr. was the most well know accident - especially among non-aviation people.

Everyone, whether they like aviator or not all knows about it. Its probably the one question/opinion I get asked about the most from people when they find out I'm a pilot.

Sure Tenerife, Lockerbie, and the Korean Air incidents were well know, but if you mentioned any three of those names to people, it probably wouldn't strike a chord.

Say JFK Jr. on the other hand, and everyone will know.

FN FAL said:
(Tenerife or Lockerbie) Neither of which are accidents.

Tenerife was most certainly an accident. No terrorism or other intentional acts of destruction were involved.

United 232 in Sioux City, IA. Captain Al Haines became a CRM role model as a result of that accident.

C425Driver

I.P. Freley said:
Tenerife was most certainly an accident. No terrorism or other intentional acts of destruction were involved.
If I floor my car at a red traffic light and "accidentally" hit someone driving through the intersection...is that REALLY an accident? Or is it a negligent act?

If I'm not mistaken, the pilot of the KLM attempted to take off without an ATC clearance.

FN FAL said:
If I floor my car at a red traffic light and "accidentally" hit someone driving through the intersection...is that REALLY an accident? Or is it a negligent act?

If I'm not mistaken, the pilot of the KLM attempted to take off without an ATC clearance.

For the record the airplane didn't attempt a takeoff, it DID take off. It just happened to hit another airplane immediately thereafter. KLM was just far enough off the ground to basically rip the top half off the other 747 involved in the, *ahem*, accident.

If you are going to discount "negligent acts" from inclusion as "accidents", you are writing off 2/3 of the airline accidents that have ever occurred. I think you're being a wee bit too literal in your application of the term "accident". As far as I'm concerned, every crash mentioned in this thread (and dozens more) are all accidents, whether the circumstances were indeed "accidental" or the result of negligent acts. I understand your point about perhaps not including terrorist acts, but anything else is absolutely fair game.

Latest resources

Back