Most well known accident?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CorpLearDriver said:
The Souix City Crash is why we have so much emphisis on Crew Resource Management.

The Sioux city crash (United 232) was more an example of how CRM is supposed to work, than anything else. As far as I know, the crash of Eastern 401 is what really started serious CRM training. If you recall, this was the accident where the L-1011 crashed into the everglades because the entire crew's attention was focused on the landing gear malfunction.

Each accident usually causes a new fix so it won't happen again. AA's Cali B757 crash into terrain got us the Inhansed GPWS. The Aeromexico midair going into LAX put emphasis on TCAS. The DC10 AA crash out of ORD changed procedures on maintaining V2 after engine failure. Swissair MD11 fire over Halifax changed electrical smoke procedures. 9-11 changed our hijack procedures. It is unfortunate that people need to die to make these changes but it is making flying safer.

User997 said:
That's a good one as well. Theres enough consipiracist theorys out there that we'll be seeing many more shows on this for many years.

umm yeh thats because it was shot down by a US Navy Missile

Infamous Aviation Accidents:

Otto Lilienthal - “Sacrifices must be made”.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery was a mystery till recently.

Amelia Earhart’s

Andes mountains rugby team that resorted to cannibalism, book and movie made about it named Alive!

Maritime Accidents:

Edmund Fitzgerald

The collision and sinking of the Andrea Doria.

Perfect storm fishing boat, Andrea Gail, made into movie from the book by Sebastian Junger.

Can’t seem to recall any famous railroad or roadway accidents.

redd said:
Maritime Accidents:

Edmund Fitzgerald.
That lake is something else...I don't know what there is about it, but it raises the hairs on the back of my neck just looking at it.

FN FAL,

Have you flown over any of the great lakes, don’t cha hail from those parts?

The story of the Fitzgerald gives me the willies, cold deep waters, scary stuff.

Never heard of any aviation accidents there, though.

Cutlass1287 said:
The Sioux city crash (United 232) was more an example of how CRM is supposed to work, than anything else. As far as I know, the crash of Eastern 401 is what really started serious CRM training. If you recall, this was the accident where the L-1011 crashed into the everglades because the entire crew's attention was focused on the landing gear malfunction.
Actually, the crash of United 178, a DC-8 arriving PDX, was the genesis of CRM training.

In a nutshell, the crew was dealing with a landing gear indication problem as they were running out of fuel. The Captain was urged by both the FO and SO to end the delays and get on the ground ASAP. The Captain ignored them both saying he knew what the aircraft could do.

He didn't - they crashed - and the NTSB report blamed the, "Captain is GOD" mentality that theretofore had defined the role of the captain aboard a commercial jet. The NTSB urged the FAA to mandate CRM training and shortly thereafter they did.

TIS

Latest resources

Back