Most well known accident?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
redd said:
Andes mountains rugby team that resorted to cannibalism, book and movie made about it named Alive!

Can’t seem to recall any famous railroad or roadway accidents.
That movie Alive! was great! Don't know how those guys did that. Any of you out there that haven't seen it, be sure and check it out sometime.

As for famous roadway accident, how about:
James Dean
Jayne Mansfield
Mary Jo Kapechne (of Ted Kennedy fame)
Princess Di

To name a few... ;)

redd said:
FN FAL,

Have you flown over any of the great lakes, don’t cha hail from those parts?

The story of the Fitzgerald gives me the willies, cold deep waters, scary stuff.

Never heard of any aviation accidents there, though.
I have flown along the shoreline of lake Superior once...to avoid a line of t-storms. Flying over parts of Lake Michigan, I do daily. In the past, I have flown over Lake Michigan quite a bit.

I don't know what it is about Lake Superior...but it gives me the willies.

Maybe it's some kind of natural dynamics? Wind flow, water flow, temperatures?

I don't believe anyone mentioned the Comet crashes that (temporarily) grounded the type and let Boeing and Douglas grab the lead in jet airliners...

User997 said:
What's the details on this accident? I've never heard of this before.

The collision occured in 1970 (or 71, I was in Jr. High at the time.) A "Yellow Bannana" Hughes Air West DC-9 departed from either LAX or BUR and was enroute to LAS. They were in contact with LA Center. They came out of a cloud, nose-to-nose with a Marine Corps. F-4 Phantom being controlled by a seperate military controller. The two planes impacted and the wreckage was scattered over an extreemely roughed area just North of Azusa, CA in the San Gabriel Mts.

There was one eye-witness. The sole survivor was the F-4's RIO who ejected a split second before impact. He was found a couple days later in the mountains with both legs broken and I believe an arm borken as well.

Last edited:
I used the KLM/Pan AM and the Sioux City crashes as examples for a research paper in an Effective Communications class in college. Got an 'A' on the paper and got my professor interested in aviation.

FYI - there is a web site that lists the worst civil aviation accidents (belive it or not!)

http://planecrashinfo.com/worst100.htm

Tram said:
I'd say Sept. 11 but it wasn't an "accident" it was purposeful..

Lockerbie maybe..
Lockerbie was not an "accident" either. Libyan agents blew it out of the sky with a bomb in a portable radio/CD player.

jarhead said:
Lockerbie was not an "accident" either. Libyan agents blew it out of the sky with a bomb in a portable radio/CD player.

And now we have to listen to annoying "for the interest of air safety, please keep an eye on all your possessions and don't accept anything from anyone" announcements they play every 15 seconds in every airport yet everybody completely ignores them and all it ends up doing is annoying the gate agents who have to make PA announcements.

My opinion, off topic but the scariest would be

AAL191 May of 1979 DC10 looses engine on takeoff at O'hare
ASA121 Jan of 2000 Maddog has jackscrew failure and nose dives into Pacific of coast of LA
PSA182 727 has midair with Cessna on approach to SAN

Darwin award winning pilots

Eastern L1011 crashes in the glades. Crew is concerned about a nose gear unsafe light, disengages autopilot, slow descent into glades. All 3 crew fixing 1 light and not flying the airplane. CFT

Pinnical 3701 crj crew flames out over Missouri at FL410.

Delta 1141 727 crew joking with flight attendent about crashing, forgets flaps and crashes.

KLM4805 miss interprets a radio call, captain concerned about running out of duty time, FE makes a comment that they were not cleared for takeoff, he continues anyways, smashes into a PanAm 747. Almost clears the plane but didn't. PanAm was a sitting ducks. Radio transmissions blocked, heavy fog and confussion but KLM tookoff without a clearence and are 100% to blame! Fire crews goto the KLM plane and there is nothing they can do....Heavy fog they don't realize there are alot of survivors 2500ft up the runway with the Pan Am, alot of Pan Am pax's burn due to the fact that rescue crews didn't get there in time.

Korean Airlines 401 crashes into a mountain in Guam because they descended below minimums in a 747 on a non precision approach. Kills everyone on board.

Unknown date but Russina airline captain lets his son come up to the cockpit and fly the plane. Some tupolev. Plane crashes, everyone dies. Kid is like 8 years old.

Air Florida Flight 90 crashes while departing DCA during near blizzard conditions. Plane sits on ramp for a while, needs to be deiced again but doesn't get it. Take off checklist. FO calls for "Engine Ice" Captain "off" NICE!!!!! Never reaches full takeoff power, rotates, crashes into the potomic. Ill never forget seeing the aftermath. Some bystander on the road jumps into the frezzing river to get people out. Thats a real man in my opinion.

Northwest Airlines Flight 255 departing Detroit. Captain just off IOE from being in Alcohol rehab. First trip alone, company policy apperantly is taxi on one engine. Fires up one, starts his taxi and pulls the breaker on the T.O. config alarm due to the fact that he has to use high percentages during taxi. Failure to return circuit breaker for takeoff, forgets proper flap setting, crashes. 1 survivor is a 4 year old girl and it takes police and fire fighters hours to figure out that she was actually on board the plane.

anyone have anymore....ill think of more later.

Mmmmmm Burritos said:
And now we have to listen to annoying "for the interest of air safety, please keep an eye on all your possessions and don't accept anything from anyone" announcements they play every 15 seconds in every airport yet everybody completely ignores them and all it ends up doing is annoying the gate agents who have to make PA announcements.
True, and on the same token, it was an accident that Pinnacle hired those two dudes to fly the CRJ...no?

Lrjtcaptain said:
Fire crews goto the KLM plane and there is nothing they can do....Heavy fog they don't realize there are alot of survivors 2500ft up the runway with the Pan Am, alot of Pan Am pax's burn due to the fact that rescue crews didn't get there in time.

Did not know about that part. Very interesting.

Latest resources

Back