• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

More planes for ExpressJet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thank you, now part 2 of my question. Why, in your opinion, is smarter better. I see you perceived failings of pref bid, now show me the difference.

What is it about smartperf that they like so much? Are they thinking it will do something better?

PBS is just a delivery agent. Wish we could spend more time and energy into improving schedules and qol rather than spend all this time trying to create a new system. It would be different if everyone was unhappy with what we have. But that doesn't seem to be the case. I think most people are happy with it.

What function of smartperf is so important to them. If it will do something better, I want to know.

I couldn't agree with you more. We aren't married to it. But we feel it offers the most potential to our pilots to maintain their QOL.

Thank you, now part 2 of my question. Why, in your opinion, is smarter better. I see you perceived failings of pref bid, now show me the difference.

The algorythms used to globalize are different that what you see in other systems. Many systems will build lines 1-100. Then when it gets to liine 101 it will say it is unable to complete the line due to overall system constraints. So it goes back up and takes what it needs. Smartpref is inherantly different. It looks ahead....long before bidding starts and says "I have a stack of trips over the days from the 10-18th. So When people are not specific in their bidding I'm going to honor their requests HOWEVER while I'm meeting their requests I'm going to also cover my stack of open trips." It uses standing bids for the first run and then takes into account bids as theyre entered to generate a line or number at which the restricted group starts. Our research indicates that only the bottom 40% of bidders would ever see the restricted group. It WILL NOT take a trip from the most senior pilot and give it to the most junior. Also pilots in the restricted group at the top side generally don't see much effect. This is not the same "globalization" that Karmen uses to solve to zero open time. The system cannot solve to zero open time. It is not set up to do so and no matter how I try to set it up it will not solve to zero open time.
Other aspects are that training is biddable just like any other pairing. Reserves are biddable at the same time in whats called "dynamic bid modeling". So you can say "I'd like a line with xx days off. IF I cannot have that line then I want a reserve line with those days off." So you set up your bid that way and as bidding progresses maybe those days off become available to you and it reverts you back to having a line with those days off.
The other thing we like is the interface. It's live and interactive. Not so much that you see what you're going to be awarded, but you see what you CAN be awarded. In every other system you place a bid and wait for the results. If you screwed up your bid you find out when the results are posted. In this system you see right away the effects of different bidding strategies. You have instantanious feedback. It will also bid trips that you want EVEN IF senior pilots have already taken those trips. That way if they become available you are still bidding them.
Now at the end of the day pilots have a right to get a decent schedule that is based on seniority. However neglecting the basic fact that the company also has a right to run it's airline is irresponsible. And the situation that it will get you in is that the airline will with "great furry and vengance" (haha pulp fiction) come after the aspects that you've programed that won't allow it to runs it's buisness. This means that some pilots are going to work on days they don't want to. It's a basic fact and something we need to all get over or find new jobs. Having a viable scheduling system that is capable of solving the schedule is part of that. So globalization has an ugly conitation due to the trial and tribulations experienced by CAL however they are not all the same. Hope that helps answer your questions.

All of McPickle's points about Flightline are spot on. I am very open to Smartpref practice runs over here on the L-ASA side to see if it lives up to the potential he outlined.

Also kudos to the L-XJT side for the great communication.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Thanks mckpickle.. Interesting

I would like to see a breakdown from Chris m. Or one of the Asa guys

All of McPickle's points about Flightline are spot on. I am very open to Smartpref practice runs over here on the L-XJT side to see if it lives up to the potential he outlined.

Also kudos to the L-XJT side for the great communication.

Agreed. Thanks mcpickle for the input. I'm not convinced one way or the other, but I haven't personally ruled anything out.

Expect no answers from Chris M. It's his baby and he'll burn the place down to keep it.

He once asked me why I gave a $hit about reserve rules if I wasn't on reserve.......I couldn't believe what I heard.

I certainly don't have it all figured out. Not by a long shot. Smartpref is still new and your guys brought up a lot of good points...new company...no clients etc. So I am by no means saying it's perfect. I've found in my years that open and honest communication is the only way to build trust. There are plenty of guys on my side that don't like me or what I have to say, but I hope you can't find one who says he doesn't trust what i'm doing. Anyway, thanks for listening guys.

I appreciate the communication.

So how do we fix this impasse???

Latest resources

Back