• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesaba Big Announcement on Friday

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Union reps aren't talking specifics but whatever it brewing, they confirm "something" is brewing, some people will be happy, others won't, and it will come to a vote. Hmmm..... i can see where this will go.

So all of our MEC and LEC reps pulled off their trips and told to sign gag orders. And here is Spanjers on our company website:[font=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
Message to employees from John Spanjers
[/font]
Many rumors have been swirling around Mesaba over the past several days, and I want to stress that we have nothing to announce. If we have something that is deemed significant and factual, we will communicate the information, as appropriate.
I want to thank all employees for the 100 percent completion factor on Thursday, and I ask that all of you remain focused on running a safe operation. If we have information to share with you, we will do so at the appropriate time.

Last edited:
It's past my bedtime, I think I'm going to get some shuteye !!! It's been a long day of nothing!!
I hate rumors !!!!!!!!

Union Statement

From the MSA ALPA homepage posted at 5:45 pm:

Item 5: Your MEC was called into special session last Sunday, February 27th. Due to confidentiality agreements executed between ALPA and Mesaba management, we cannot divulge the reason for the meeting or any details about this weekâs events. Your MEC will have detailed communications forthcoming as we are able. There has been rumor and speculation on the flight line, at Mesaba, and even in outside public forums. Please remain patient.

quote from waylon:

"I have nothing to lose, so I guarantee you, I will fly the 70 seaters cheaper than you with a smile knowing I am screwing people like YOU"

Nice.......real nice........

Waylon said:
Listen NuGuy, I am only going to write this once so please pay attention. NWA is out sourcing mechanics right and left and if you think your management team loves the pilots so much to leave them out of the out sourcing axe, then stop buying those street corner cigs and start buying some legal ones. THE REGIONALS ARE THE OUT SOURCING OF PILOTS! You are correct; the NWA MEC has to decide on the 70 seaters but I GUARANTEE FROM MY SOURCE it's coming out of YOUR pension if you want to fly them. I have nothing to lose, so I guarantee you, I will fly the 70 seaters cheaper than you with a smile knowing I am screwing people like YOU.

u r an idiot

All I have to say is "huh"?

People need to stop drinking before they post....sheesh...

1) NWA pilots were smart enough to lock up their flying as much as possible. Significant negotiating capital was traded in exchange for the current scope language. If other employee groups had different priorities, that was their choice.

2) The word is that the NWA negotiating committee hasn't even met over the 70 seat issue in the last two weeks. The current news regarding the XJ MEC has to do with their management. The NWA MEC was not a party to any talks or agreements. Anything else is pure rumor.

3) Unless there is some agreement with the pilots, NWA cannot use any 70 seaters. The quids that are required to complete such an agreement is entirely up to the NWA pilot group. If such an agreement cannot be reached, then the status quo will remain in place. The company is free to re-open the matter at the beginning of section 6 negotiations in two years.
Nu

Waylon,

Actually, Nu is right. Take it for what it's worth, but some of the NWA MEC members confirmed on the NWA ALPA board that there has been no negotiations with MSA or other entity taking place. They also said that there has been NO negotiations in regards to the 70 seaters in several weeks. Now you don't have to believe them that is your choice, but it is what it is.

As far as the pension is concerned, once again Nu has it right. There is no direct connection between the pension and the 70 seaters. The closest thing to it you can draw from this is the proposal a while back that any NWA pilot flying the 70 seater would not accrue longevity for retirement. This was part of a proposal for the bridge agreement which was ultimately dropped. They re-entered negotiations in Jan for the 70 seaters and as stated before the last meeting was weeks ago. Anything that you may have thought you heard about the negotiations is pure speculation. There are no agreements in place, nor has the MEC approached the group with any information regarding the progress of the negotiations.

Now this is what IS happening with the pensions. The union has decided to work with NWA to freeze the DB plan and try to get everone fully vested in the program. At the same time both groups are trying to help push pension reform through congress that may help conserve cash. The last step is that the MEC will work with the company to implement some sort of DC plan which has not yet been defined.

NOTE: The retirement issue is completely seperate from all of the other issues and is being negotiated on it's own. Source: NWA MEC

With these facts in mind we can return to the discussion of the 70 seaters. The position of the union is this: 70 seaters WILL be flown by NWA pilots. Without BK, NWA will not get 70 seaters unless NWA pilots are flying them. The trick is making it cost effective which is the reason for the negotiations. This idea of trading the pensions for the 70 seater is a bogus argument because those negotiations are being handled seperately. If the NWA pilots don't like the terms then NWA will not have them. It is really that simple. I'm sorry if this doesn't jive with your hopes and dreams, but this is the reality of it.
I have nothing to lose, so I guarantee you, I will fly the 70 seaters cheaper than you with a smile knowing I am screwing people like YOU.

Well, now that just speaks volumes about your character. You must have been one of the original FREEDUMB guys that backstabbed their co-workers.

So you will come crying down to some regional about how you own your 70 seat flying and now you will release it with a jet for job deal or something like that.

This is inevitable.

Needsumluv,

I have to disagree this is not inevitable. I want to be clear about this. At no time has any union member or negotiator used the term jet for job. I think you are underestimating how committed to keeping that flying on the property the union really is. Those other carriers that put this type of system in to place were in BK or really close to it. NWA is not in that situation yet. Jet 4 Jobs was not nice for the mainline guys. If NWA MEC can come up with a scheme that works then so be it.

Some will like, some won't ? Gotta give to get new airplanes? Vote?

I sense seatlocks on a particular pilot group, pay freezes and/or cuts. Deja vu......

Latest resources

Back