• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MaxBlast feeling the LUV!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If the 717 was so great, why did they make so few?

They suck.

Au contrare, mon frere, salope ignorant!

The reason according to Wiki is lack of commonality of parts and training within it's family as compared to the A-319/20/21 or next-Gen Boeings 737-700/800/900.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_717

Being as Boeing now owned Douglas it kinda competed for orders with the 737 line so that didn't really make a lot of sense either. The sophistication of the flight guidance system may have had something to do with SWA's desire to unload them as well. It's a great airplane, quiet, efficient, and very reliable now the kinks in the Rolls motors have been worked out. The limited ability to carry cargo could be easily rectified by raising the landing weight from 110K from 104, artificially lowered by FL and Boeing to save on landing fees.
Apparently the deal Delta got from SW was so lucrative, I'm sure you'll be seeing them on the ramp in ATL for quite some time.

Straight from Gary Kelly's mouth, Delta is paying the same lease rates we were. We are paying for the conversion which costs double what it would cost us to convert to SWA but getting rid of the second airframe will pay for it in short order. I don't remember the exact timeframe. The 717 cost the same for us to operate as a -700 with 20+ % greater revenue potential and a more diverse mission for the -700.

Yes, the technology is better in the 717 but that doesn't make it cost effective.

I do like the quiet though!:)

Au contrare, mon frere, salope ignorant!

The reason according to Wiki is lack of commonality of parts and training within it's family as compared to the A-319/20/21 or next-Gen Boeings 737-700/800/900.
READ: They suck. If they were marketable, they would have made 5000 of them.

We are paying Delta $200,000 per jet per year till lease end to take them off our hands.

We still make money doing that.

Delta gets a jet that is marginally attractive even with a $200,000 float per jet, and only because THEY have a dc9 trained cadre.

Good airplane? Sure. Good airplane for commercial aviation? Heck no. The market has spoken.

Last edited:
Gary told us that wasnt true about the 200k per year per jet.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

When the cost of fuel represents more than 30% of the operating costs for airlines, larger aircraft in general have lower unit costs than smaller aircraft. That is a big reason why SWA is going to use new B737-800s and used B737-700s to replace the B717 fleet and increase their average numbers of seats per departure. At the same time, Delta is going use the B717 to replace a lot of CRJ-700/900 flying so those aircraft will be free to replace CRJ-200 flying. It is called upgaging, and SWA/Delta aren't the only 2 airlines doing this in today's high fuel price environment.

Maybe some of the AT pilots have never flown a 300/500 without the glass- back to the days of real piloting - dials, knobs and lots of switches - fly like a real pilot and not a trained monkey - anyone can press a button

Maybe some of the AT pilots have never flown a 300/500 without the glass- back to the days of real piloting - dials, knobs and lots of switches - fly like a real pilot and not a trained monkey - anyone can press a button

And do it for 7.5 hours on six legs. Man up bitches! And don't mind the stiff ass throttles that loosely correlate to some kind of power setting. A real pilot uses "the force" for that kind of stuff. Even our passengers like it old school. That's why the enjoy using a Lav that smells worse than an outhouse in a cabin that averages 90F. I trade every -700 trip I can for a -500 two step.

When the cost of fuel represents more than 30% of the operating costs for airlines, larger aircraft in general have lower unit costs than smaller aircraft. That is a big reason why SWA is going to use new B737-800s and used B737-700s to replace the B717 fleet and increase their average numbers of seats per departure. At the same time, Delta is going use the B717 to replace a lot of CRJ-700/900 flying so those aircraft will be free to replace CRJ-200 flying. It is called upgaging, and SWA/Delta aren't the only 2 airlines doing this in today's high fuel price environment.

That's right Mr blasting 'em to the maximum, tell them what's up. Those fools runnin alpa cost me lots a cash they shoulda listened to ya back when you was tryin to tell them. SW is rockin my nuts off right now out here in the land of oak flying the 737 and cashing checks.

Ooh . . . I can hardly wait to fly a prehistoric sweatbox for $30K less per year, and maybe even listen to some fool tell me how much better I have it. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back