• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MaxBlast feeling the LUV!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You mean the merger committee that basically made all of the same arguments that SWAPA was making? Yep, they are a great example of overestimating the strength of their case. And it would have turned out for SWAPA just how it turned out for them. You know, if you hadn't been involved and thrown up the white flag, that is.

"I don't "hate" WN, it's just not a place I've ever wanted to work, and I don't think we'd do well in an acquisition situation."

-PCL_128
April 2008

Yeah, I'll keep bringing it up until you're gone from this forum for good. And don't give me that same crap about how much changed in two years, and at the announcement date Southwest had 547 planes while AirTran had 138.

The best entertainment would be if he were to fly with Steve Chase.

I'm thinking he might stay as well. All depends on how the real estate market is going.

If you're so sure, why have you ignored my previous offers to put money on it? Come one, wave, $5,000 says I never transition to SWA. Put your money where your mouth is.

PC

You need to step back and regroup your path. You are very passionate at whatever your involved in. That's great . But you are out of your mind if you do not transition over here.

Hell you could be on the BOD @ SWAPa. We can't even get someone to run for office in MDW. :)

150k a year to work 12 days a month. I betting he stays. It's almost free money.

I am really surprised that anybody really thinks he will quit rather than come over to SWA. With his background and his resume he cannot go anywhere other than staying with SWA. You guys are stuck with him.

Not at all. Gulfstream sucked. :) But since I don't see you or other SWA pilots admitting that it's wrong for your employer to require newhire pilots to buy a type rating, you don't exactly have a lot of credibility in complaining about PFT. Granted, it's not quite the same thing, but it is related.

Because I don't think it's wrong

Can I say that clearer? I want pilots who are invested in the company - I want the ownership mentality in all employees-
You don't have to buy the type, but you need to figure it out.

And first year is better than any contract in the industry - the straight time rate is as high as anyone and better than most, but since extra fly is paid at year2 rates, I haven't met a first year pilot who makes less than $70k. Type mills will cost you between $5-8k -

So which is more wrong? Legacy wages paying $50/hour on guarantee turning that into $40k their first year, then getting a bump the second year? Or swa's type but easily making $70k.

I like seeing increased first year pay- bc we're doing the same job- but every airline still holds onto that tradition of making probation pay

I got hired without the type.

Got it done later with 5k, then deducted almost the whole thing off my taxes. The easiest $1500 I ever spent out of my own pocket. It was paid for in the first two months. The rest has been gravy.

Gulfstream was a simple way (open the checkbook) to keep from flight instructing.

It's one thing to even pay for training (10k dollar training bond, contract, etc), but to actually pay a company for the job is a bit different. I never could understand that aspect. You were paying someone to treat you like crap as a 1900 FO. Big, big difference.

Because I don't think it's wrong

Can I say that clearer? I want pilots who are invested in the company - I want the ownership mentality in all employees-
You don't have to buy the type, but you need to figure it out.

And first year is better than any contract in the industry - the straight time rate is as high as anyone and better than most, but since extra fly is paid at year2 rates, I haven't met a first year pilot who makes less than $70k. Type mills will cost you between $5-8k -

So which is more wrong? Legacy wages paying $50/hour on guarantee turning that into $40k their first year, then getting a bump the second year? Or swa's type but easily making $70k.

I like seeing increased first year pay- bc we're doing the same job- but every airline still holds onto that tradition of making probation pay

Uhhhhh Wave, DL pays $66 an hour now, and I believe it will be $71 an hour next year for newhire pay. Second year pay can jump depending on what type plane you want to go to next (after 1 year seat hold for newhire). Throw in growth planes, huge retirement numbers, and not paying extra for a type rating, and that is hard to beat. Will your bottom 200 newhires be picking up open time if they live on the East Coast and have to commute to OAK? They may want to see their wife and kids a bit. And how long will they have to stay out West? They might have to move out there if stagnation continues. Did you factor in any of those?

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back