Legal things that aren't safe at all

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
paulsalem said:
I just mean hoping into a turboprob and needing no prior instruction on turbine engines, and how to run them.

I just used the caravan b/c you don't need a high alt endorsement

(I figured someone would try to use that as traning on turbine engines)
ok...

What's this supplemental 121 business? I'm from Canada so we don't have that. The closest that I can think of that we have is extended charter.

--Bongo

Ain't that the truth...

TurboS7 said:
Supplemental International Part 121-Totally unsafe but legal

Pt.91 positioning flights that significantly exceed 12 hrs...

EagleRJ said:
The unofficial "Charted Visual" to Runway 17 at KSPS.

Oh, memories of the hong kong curve, a pretty steep turn, low and on short final for 17, to keep from overflying the ENJJPT ramp and the other runways.

Denizen said:
Peeing on an electric fence..legal(unless the farmer catches you) but something that would most likely sting.

Funny you mention that, I did it several times and nothing happened, wives tale. It won't travel up moving streams I guess, or it had gaps in the flow, either way I used to do it all the time on the farm when city boys were around and pretend like I was getting shocked and took it, then I would say it was there turn, no takers, stange huh?

Bongo said:
What's this supplemental 121 business? I'm from Canada so we don't have that. The closest that I can think of that we have is extended charter.
--Bongo

Bongo, a supplemental carrier is one flying cargo, or unscheduled passenger service. If that carrier is operating internationally with a 3 man crew, the duty rules are *very* permissive. About the only short term limit on flight time is that you may only fly 12 hours of flight time in 24 hours ... no limit on duty time. Now this is bad enough if you are flying a 747 across the ocean on autopilot in the flight levels, but it gets worse. For whatever reason, Supplememtal 121 flights within the State of Alaska are considered international. Why, is not clear to me. Ceratinly from a fatigue standpoint, there is no significant difference between flying from Anchorage to Nome and flying from Boston to Washington DC. Anyway, the upshot is that it is perfectly legal to schedule a crew for a 18+ hour duty day, flying 11.5 hours of 1 hour legs flying numerous approaches in crappy weather. and you could legally do that 2 days in a row, as long as the crew had 16 hours of rest before the next flight assignment. legal, but perhaps not terribly safe.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back