Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
paulsalem said:
Never done it before but you could take off 0-0 under IFR in Part 91

I've done that a couple of times in order to escape from KAUS in the early morning. The fog is about 100-200' thick, and there are unfogged airports (lockhart, smithville, san marcos) near by.

It's scary at rotation, but a rush when you pop out of the fog and see tower cab sitting on top of the layer.

Being able to hop into a turboprop with no training required. IE caravan.

I must disagree, that Caravan is the easist airplane to fly that was ever built. No need to go to Flight Safety or any of that other stuff.

I just mean hoping into a turboprob and needing no prior instruction on turbine engines, and how to run them.

I just used the caravan b/c you don't need a high alt endorsement

(I figured someone would try to use that as traning on turbine engines)

paulsalem said:
Getting your instrument rating with 0 hours of actual insturment flying.

I'll go you one better... Getting hired at an airline with 0 hours of actual instrument.

How about airlines that upgrade people at ATP mins and don't require they have ever flown in ice, t-storms, etc. How's that for fun???

Only 5 hours of solo x/c and never going more than 50+ miles away from home base to become certified as a Private Pilot legal to fly fast moving high load airplanes with 5 or more pax anywhere in the country anytime.

If you don't break anything, you don't scare nobody or piss somebody off, you don't get caught, or killed, you learned something for the next time.
Oh, and define "Illegal"........A sick Bird.

UnstableAviator said:
Special VFR. It has a time and place, but I know we've all heard people getting it when better judgement says otherwise.

In my mind, special VFR is a tool that can be used for very special circumstances, and should only be used when absolutely necessary.

One example: Airport is under a 900 ft ceiling, but that ceiling only extends two milesthen the wx is clear. Pilot is familiar with the area, no significant terrain or obstacles. Good to go, I should say.

Another scenario: Returning from the practice aera wth a student, same wx as the above example.

UnstableAviator said:
Light twins that can't climb on one. I know this is probably most light twins out there, but everytime we takeoff that is a risk that has somehow been deemed acceptable. Charts say you'll get 50'/min or so, but I know the loaded Navajo doesn't stand a chance. Hence the takeoff briefing which includes a prayer for letting the engines run for 2 minutes. I know I've said that prayer before.

I do not think that this is more dangerous than a single, provided the pilot is able to keep control of the aircraft.

You can argue that even if you can't reamain aloft, the other engine gives you a really good glide angle and more landing options, especially if you had some altitude to start with.

The bigger threat is the typically poor airmanship of the average light twin pilot (speaking primarily of non-professionals, of course).

Unless I am much mistaken, more people have been killed by the pilot failing to keep control of a twin that COULD climb on one than have been killed by a controlled crash in a twin that could NOT climb on one.

That said, there is not limit to poor airmanship at the private pilot level. People have managed to die after engine failures in centerline-thrust twins.

Latest resources

Back