• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Leave SWA for Fed Ex

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why would I want to work for Pan Am over SWA. You know they went out of business don't you? Some people here are so stupid.

He's mocking you.

I think anyone asking about leaving SWA should. Not because they'd hurt my feelings or give away the secret knock needed to get into the newhire FA's room, but because people don't ask that kind of question when they are content and satisfied.
I have run into a handfull of folks here who are clearly not satisfied with domestic 737 flying. In my opinion it makes no sense to leave a stable, growing company where you have finished training and are building senority - but life is too short to do what makes sense every dam time...

[ but because people don't ask that kind of question when they are content and satisfied.

I don't necessarily agree. You can be content and satisified but there may be a place that will be more satisfying.

Back in 99 some Southwest guys were leaving for UAL, DAL, etc. Turns out to have been a poorly timed decision. I guess that makes current SWA guys, like me; a little leary of the 'grass is greener' mentality.

I don't subscribe to the 15 minutes quip. You know: FDX, UPS, and SWA are having ours now and we're at 14 and counting. Airlines are in general cyclical, especially hub and spoke legacies. But, I think that some have found a way to manage their revenue/system to make money in up and down economies. Hopefully, SWA continues to be one of those.

Although, if you don't see your current airine as a career/destination place; by all means, search around. In a way it is good, when management sees guys bailing, they might decide that a little more pay/benefits/scheduling is in order. I don't think SWA is at or near something like that, although B6 may be with their 190 rates. In the long run, it works for everyone involved, the guys that leave get to go to their 'dream' airline with the ________ (fill in your desire here: widebody, int'l, domestic, one plane type, training every 2 years for that ATP full of types, whatever) and the ones that stay end up benefiting from improved contracts down the road.

The underlying principle is that we all root for the home team. We like to believe that WE were smarter/luckier than the next guy; not that we're idiots for staying on at a place we enjoy working at. It is a little disheartening to see guys get the fdx/swa choice and seem to usually choose fdx, but that is life. I also knew guys that only applied to one airline, SWA, and wouldn't have stayed flying if not hired. I applied everywhere and SWA wasn't my first choice. Lucky for me I didn't get what I wanted but what I hope will be better in the long run.

It is a scary industry where our hard earned skills don't transfer due to the seniority system, good in many ways, but it makes the A or B choice all the more important/life changing. And the burned bridge you leave behind is sort of a bummer too, that is for sure.

Good luck. I think the posters that say ask your real life friends and see how really seems to be happier are right on.

Once again for the kernal's out there. This guy is NOT, repeat NOT on the property at SWA. He has NOT started class. He does NOT have an employee number. He is NOT on the Southwest Pilots seniority list. He would NOT be leaving SWA for Fed Ex. He is NOT here yet.

Any questions?

He may not be but a guy in my class left for FDX with a month left on his SWA probation. He was from Memphis though and was flying with a guard unit there, seems like a pretty easy decision with that factored in. I have no idea if the current thread guy is though, I'll defer to SWA/FO as more informed than me. (a little scary, but heck, he's about to be SWA/CA)

Has anyone ever based a their decision on one of these X vs Y threads?

Seems to me if you had the quals to get on with either of these places, then you obviously knew someone at the company.

Why would you ask a bunch of faceless buffoons (myself included) instead of your buds?

At least these threads are good for 6-8 pages. Wasn't there a FDX vs SWA thread in 02-03 that was like 15 pages?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back