Leave SWA for Fed Ex

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
instructordude said:
I changed my signature and added a picture of me drag racing it. Pretty cool pic even if I lost that race.

By the way I haven't updated my profile in a while. It's a lot more than 850 hrs. Try double that!! And I'm flying 121 now for a regional so I think I have a bit of a clue what I'm talking about. Thank you.

Good luck on the ATP written. Let us know how it goes.

Meanwhile, you might like to know that SWA has "long haul" legs also, such as Oakland to Philly and Vegas to Providence, amongst others.

No SWA does not go to London, but Pan Am did. Maybe you could travel back in time and join Pan Am in 1978, over SWA in 1978, and you could report back how your career was.

Bottom line, both are good companies and have received various "Best Place to Work" type accolades in various publications over the years. Both are well-run, started from the ground up by their present CEOs. These people are still in place (well, Herb, not officially but you can bet he still has influence) and still have the hunger to stay alive. Not like CEO's at other airlines, such as Tilton who came from Texaco or Siegal (old USAIR) who came from Avis Rental Car. Siegal lasted two years.

So both SWA and FDX have CEO's who fought in the trenches and have fought for their company's survival since Day-1, when the competitors and everyone else was sueing them and trying to put them out of business.

Is it any surprise both are successful today?

Dang skippy Air Force & proud of it!!. Can u say you've logged combat time, been to Afghanistan, Iraq, or flown a Congressional delegation to Africa???

Humble aren't ya. I bet you spend a lot of time walking around the Exchange/Commissary wearing your leather jacket and telling your stories to the new 2LT's. I am sure they are all impressed.

You do realize that this is a forum for professional pilots. Many of them also happen to be military pilots. I am sure many have done just as much and more, but thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Regardless of who the choices are, treat it like a business decison, because that is what it is. Unless you have other means, this is going to be your main source of cash flow, and you want it to continue as long as it can. Keep your emotions out of it and look at the numbers. By emotions, I mean things such as glamour or lack thereof.

Compare the balance sheets, historical financial data, and growth potential. Based on the numbers, where will Brand X be in 5 years? 10 years? How is the given market and how does the company fit in it? Is it a leader or a follower? What does the longevity of employment look like? How easily is retirement from one or both companies?

Then, look at how your QOL is affected. Personally, this is part of the equation that is very flexible for me. It might not be that way for the other person. If the commuting is an issue, then move to domicile or choose the other company. Again, I would rather have very stable employment and move to domicile if need be versus the alternative.

You obviously want to enjoy going to work, but don't rely on your employer 100% to fulfill your happiness quota. No place is perfect, and your main relationship with your employer is to exchange your time and talents for monetary compensation. Everything else will fall into place.

I changed my signature and added a picture of me drag racing it. Pretty cool pic even if I lost that race.

By the way I haven't updated my profile in a while. It's a lot more than 850 hrs. Try double that!! And I'm flying 121 now for a regional so I think I have a bit of a clue what I'm talking about. Thank you.

This guy is either the biggest flame-baiter on this board or the biggest loser...I'm just not sure which, but one of the two for sure

Combat time in the KC-10 and KC-135. The only people over there that should get to log combat time are the army helos who are getting shot at everyday and maybe the A10 and herc. If your above 18000 your safer than if you were in the states.

That wasn't true back in spring '03. Maybe now...but not during Shock n Awe.

Latest resources

Back