• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Leave SWA for Fed Ex

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Probably because one out of every 50 posts on these might have some insight that could prove useful. Basically, the same reason most of us read this forum at all. Sifting through all the manure can, on occasion, yield something useful.

I've thought about SWA vs. FDX a lot in my last 3 years at FDX. I think I made the right decision but certainly won't know for quite some time. My 2 cents:

- better job security and retirement at FDX - regardless of earlier posts there's really no serious debate on this issue
- more night flying at FDX - anyway you cut it there's more of it and it's not fun
- much better domiciles at SW - if you're from the coasts you will probably hate Memphis - I've never met anyone who liked it - just those that "tolerate it" for the benefits it gives you - SW has some nice domiciles - yeah commuting at FDX is often easy but not nearly as easy as living in domicile
- the lines get better as you get more senior at FDX - don't think this is the caes at SW - you can get some really cool stuff at FDX - 4 days off in downtown Paris where you can fly the wife out, etc. etc. - nothing really cool at SW even for the senior guys
- opportunity to fly to some cool places and fly some cool jets at FDX - expanding intl and the MD11, 757 (soon) and A380 (I suspect) are cool jets. The 737 - even the NG (I fly it for the reserves) just isn't that impressive of a jet. And the way SW flies it with the dumbing done of its inherent technology makes it really basic

I think that the flying is better for a junior guy at SW. Nice pay and opportunity to make a lot and the crews are just more fun to fly with. I would think it would get old as you grow.

For me I was fortunate enough to fly the MD11 out of LAX - life is good and will be very good after the TA.

the lines get better as you get more senior at FDX - don't think this is the caes at SW - you can get some really cool stuff at FDX - 4 days off in downtown Paris where you can fly the wife out, etc. etc. - nothing really cool at SW even for the senior guys.

Not true and from what I'm told SWA gets more days off per month on average than FDX. 17 vs. 14

Are you gay?

Hey instructordude you looking for a date? Why don't you take your 850+ hours of C-172 time and go back to the instructor board. You are not a player here. You can only dream of flying a B737 or MD-11..... maybe someday.

Not everyone can fly the greatest flying machine ever made......the 737.

Entertainment Value

Probably because one out of every 50 posts on these might have some insight that could prove useful. Basically, the same reason most of us read this forum at all. Sifting through all the manure can, on occasion, yield something useful.
So true and it is also mildly entertaining at times as well.

Not true and from what I'm told SWA gets more days off per month on average than FDX. 17 vs. 14
That may be partly true. We work on a 28 day month or a 35 day month, not 30 like SWA (I think).
In a 28 day month, max work is 15, with 13 off min.
For a 35 day month, max work is 19, with 16 off.

I just looked at Oct (35 days) and Sept (28 days).
For October, the average days off was 18.19.
For September, the average days off was 14.7.

So, it's about 16.48 days off average for a 31 day period.

My question is, with the SWA days off, is that an average of the bid line, or an actual average of what pilots are flying? It seems to me that talking to my SWA friends, they pick up a lot of JA (is that the right term?). It's good for them, good for the company, and pretty easy if they live in domicile. It all make the days off go down. I know at FedEx, they never call me on days off to draft me (maybe they will now that the summer of the family is over), and I never have to accept it. They can't jetbridge assign me (I think they can do that to you, right), and my days off are my days off. Not saying one is better than the other, but just want to compare apples to apples.

Instructor dude has DOUBLE his profile time, according to an earlier post

He is probably away right now, watching Martha King ATP videos

Hey instructordude you looking for a date? Why don't you take your 850+ hours of C-172 time and go back to the instructor board. You are not a player here. You can only dream of flying a B737 or MD-11..... maybe someday.

Not everyone can fly the greatest flying machine ever made......the 737.

what a tool.......

Instructor dude has DOUBLE his profile time, according to an earlier post

He is probably away right now, watching Martha King ATP videos

one more thing, Martha King is HOT!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back