Latest ASA offer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Firehoser said:
You missed my point. The point is that $45 million in profit a quarter looks like a lot of money until you put into perspective against the total operational cost for that quarter. .
Hosehead,

I really do think you are sincere and not just a management stooge. No seriously. I keep reading the numbers you are throwing around and it seems like you never took ECON 101. It's not about cash flow, it's about cost v. investment. You're talking about cash flow numbers, but investors, including JA, are interested in their return on investment.

If the profit looks good against the return, then you can throw expenses out the window. They don't give a crap about the money flowing through the place. That is basic business. It is all a question of whether the company produces a good return on the $$ invested. ASA has a good return on investment, which is why JA bought it to begin with. He doesn't care if the company's monthly cash flow is 3 bucks or 300 million bucks

Last edited:
atrdriver said:
By that logic, the MEC should have put the companies original opening offer out for a vote as well. Along with every concessionary offer that has been made. The company, in this latest "supposal", still has no premium pay, and Dh is still at 50%. A 1:2 duty rig wont do a thing for us without a trip rig, and min days. Maybe you are willing to do your job for less money, but the majority of our pilots aren't, and the MEC knows that. Plus, it is NOT an offer unless the NMB is involved in it.

So your saying it wouldn't pass? I think some of us would like to vote on a reasonable offer, and this sounds like one. Let us vote, if it doesn't pass, that will send management a message, if it does pass, we can move on. Besides, why can't the union at least tell the membership what is contained in these offers? Do they think we aren't smart enough to make an informed decision? I get the feeling that our union leadership thinks they are smarter than the regular members. That doesn't sit well with some of us.

ASADriver said:
So your saying it wouldn't pass? I think some of us would like to vote on a reasonable offer, and this sounds like one. Let us vote, if it doesn't pass, that will send management a message, if it does pass, we can move on. Besides, why can't the union at least tell the membership what is contained in these offers? Do they think we aren't smart enough to make an informed decision? I get the feeling that our union leadership thinks they are smarter than the regular members. That doesn't sit well with some of us.

Hey Driver,

I personally asked a CNC member a direct question about this so called offer. He said it is flat out false. And for what it's worth, the nature of the beast is this: The CNC negotiates with the company on our behalf. They are the agent we have hired for this purpose.

Feel free to make your views known to them, but please know that getting play by play updates serves no purpose. That has the negative effect of making us subject to company propaganda and manipulation.

Talk with the CNC members and be sure to participate in Wilson Polling. That's how it works.

ASADriver said:
Then how about showing it to the membership and letting us vote on it? It has been verified that the offer was made. It's simple, put it down on paper and send it out for a vote.

Cuz it don't work that way, Ese.

ASADriver said:
I get the feeling that our union leadership thinks they are smarter than the regular members. That doesn't sit well with some of us.

Have you actually spoken to them?? Probably not.

It's easier to anonymously take potshots.

buscap said:
Hey Driver,

I personally asked a CNC member a direct question about this so called offer. He said it is flat out false. And for what it's worth, the nature of the beast is this: The CNC negotiates with the company on our behalf. They are the agent we have hired for this purpose.

Feel free to make your views known to them, but please know that getting play by play updates serves no purpose. That has the negative effect of making us subject to company propaganda and manipulation.

Talk with the CNC members and be sure to participate in Wilson Polling. That's how it works.

I did talk with a CNC member yesterday in the C lounge. He said that the offer was made and we aren't interested because it is tied to Pref. Bidding. Sounds like they don't have their stories straight. If the CNC member you talked to said what you say they did, then one of them is lying.

Pogue Mahone said:
Have you actually spoken to them?? Probably not.

It's easier to anonymously take potshots.

I did talk to one of them yesterday in the C lounge. He said the offer was made, but it was tied to pref. bidding and the union isn't interested in pref. bidding. That came right out of the mouth of a negotiator. Sounds like they are saying different things.

goodpilotithink said:
The real force that is hanging over all of us is the part of the contract between Delta and our Airlines that mandates crew cost.

With out consulting any of us, our Airlines have agreed to be lowest, or second lowest at some point in time.

Has anyone seen a copy of that contract? Could it just be an urban myth? Crew costs are only a small part of the puzzle. Attractive finance or lease rates on the aircraft themselves probably have far more impact. Efficient scheduling and utilization are a big factor. If managment really negotiated a clause to be second lowest they should have got some concurrence from your MEC. Since SkyWest Airlines and ASA are separate entities in theory how can they both be expected to have second lowest operating costs? I've heard people at SKYW make the same claim about the need to be second lowest.

ASADriver said:

Let me tell ya why, Biscuit. Because that's EXACTLY why Comair took two concessionary offers. Their MEC is weak and they panicked that the pilots would reise hell if they didn't put it to a vote and they would get recalled. So they put a B.S. proposal up for vote and sh_t if it didn't pass! The company seized on the opportunity and scared the bejesus out of the pilots while offering the SJS guys a nice new ride.

I'm glad our MEC is strong enough and smart enough to resist the temptation you management shills keep crying for!

Latest resources

Back