Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jetblue pilots begin organization drive...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Because witholding your labor won't affect the management guys you're trying to inflluence. The option to withold all labor makes bells go off and grants you negotiating power. Building a coalition is the reason that labor organizes.

My two cents:

It doesn't matter what union you have if you don't have strong leadership and a unified pilot group behind them (local leadership in ALPA's case). That being said ALPA provides a very strong tool box especially compared to a fledging independent union with limited resources.

In less than two weeks ALPA will have a new leader at the top who with a new vision. I for one think you should give ALPA a shot. Ok flame away.

He looks like a slob, please John lose some weight!

AlbieF15

dont give up brother....Welcome to America. We are not your brothers that you flew with in the squadron. We are guys you grew up with in highschool that just somehow made it to the MAJORS. We do not seek leadership as we have always been our own leaders. What we do seek now is synergy. We acknowledge the fact that we have never been symphonically orcrestrated. We desire leadership and have chosen only the strongest amongst us to lead. To that decision we are still undecided. You Sir, would be considered if you would only acknowledge the fact that our comrades are some of the best you have never chosen to fight amongst. As a matter of fact we have all chosen not to fight useless wars unless we have representation in time of war. IN other words we will not fight blindly. What say you sir?

If you want to negotiate more then the other side has to be able to negotiate less. thatis why it is called negotiation.

How? Shounds like an idea, but how are you going to get managment to agree to that?

And yes Merry Christmas.

Rez,

I've read your posts on this thread and on others. During the course of reading these posts I've become acutely aware of your pro-ALPA opinions and I have found areas in which I both agree and disagree with you. Your posts are generally very civil, but are often very surgical-like as you pick apart any opposition to your pro-ALPA point of view. Now, all that said, I have a request for you... please provide us with 3 specific problems that exist within ALPA. In your past posts you may have cited some examples, but what I am really looking for here is for you to take that critical microscope of yours and aim it at ALPA.

I ask this because it's hard for me to find credibilty in someone who is quick to point out the faults in others, but fails to recognize their own... and we all have faults. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
AlbieF15

dont give up brother....Welcome to America. We are not your brothers that you flew with in the squadron. We are guys you grew up with in highschool that just somehow made it to the MAJORS. We do not seek leadership as we have always been our own leaders. What we do seek now is synergy. We acknowledge the fact that we have never been symphonically orcrestrated. We desire leadership and have chosen only the strongest amongst us to lead. To that decision we are still undecided. You Sir, would be considered if you would only acknowledge the fact that our comrades are some of the best you have never chosen to fight amongst. As a matter of fact we have all chosen not to fight useless wars unless we have representation in time of war. IN other words we will not fight blindly. What say you sir?

Huh? At least you make absolutely no sense...

i think your ALPA brothers at DELTA had no problem increasing their time without a study. therefore, congress WON'T be looking at jetblue, they'll be using YOUR ALPA BROTHERS to divide and conquer.

Where did you hear that? I think you are confused on your facts. Please clarify.

Rez,

... please provide us with 3 specific problems that exist within ALPA. In your past posts you may have cited some examples, but what I am really looking for here is for you to take that critical microscope of yours and aim it at ALPA.

I ask this because it's hard for me to find credibilty in someone who is quick to point out the faults in others, but fails to recognize their own... and we all have faults. Thanks in advance.

Oh-ryan-

A very valid post. In addition, before the three specific problems, I agree with your last parapraph. We all have faults and everyone brings something to the table. Consideration must be given to everyone however ideas must be pragmatic and workable.

What is wrong with ALPA-​

When it comes to unions, relatively, ALPA is very effective. However, it is obvious that the membership wants ALPA to be more effective in promoting and protecting Air Line Pilot Careers. (Don't we all have this in common?)​

ALPA has not figured out to maintian a real long term connection with the membership over its 75 years. Especially in the last five years, D. Woerth has failed connect with the membership. As the MIL guys know, with good leadership the troops will go almost anywhere. Because DW failed to even connect, the membership was uninformed, disrespected and not trusted. The backlash was scrutiny of ALPA President and staff contract/pay and DW's loss of election. Simply put ALPA has invalidated the membership and so the membership has repsonded in kind.​

ALPA Fault #1. DW failed to validate the membership.​

ALPA has evolved over the years but it is still growing. During new hire class, ALPA only has 30 mins to introduce, inform and educate the membership on what union represenation via the RLA is all about. Thus the membership remains aloof. When issues arise, the membership calls for unworkable solutions which hampers effectiveness. This also applies to LEC mmetings where attendance is ever so low.​

ALPA Fault #2. ALPA has failed to educate it members.​

Leadership is hard to come by in a volunteer organization. Unions for the most part are attractive to those who want or need ego verification. There are two kinds of union volunteers: those who want to defend the profession and help thier fellow pilot and those who want to stroke thier ego. Combined with the heavily political environement unions can quickly become passionate political debates via personal soap boxes. The focus of protecting and promoting Air Line Pilot Careers goes by the way side. Can it be another way? Unless dues increase to 5-10% to make everyone a paid employee, unions will have to depend on volunteerism. Nonetheless it is the responsibility of the pilots to be good leaders.

ALPA fault #3. ALPA has failed to promote effective leadership on the LEC, MEC, EC and national level.​

From a different angle the three above can be group together as "ALPA has failed to show its value to the membership"​

Any organization is useless without an effective membership.

My main issue is...... as pilots we are all Captains or Captains in training. When we fly jets we can do it very well. As US pilots we are the best. We can think critically and effectively. What that means is we are all leaders at our very core. However, as soon as we leave the flightdeck to address our careers we turn into ineffective sheep. I realize that maybe an offensive statement, but to be honest, we are running out of time to save this profession. In addition, if we are all leaders then we need to stop acting like sheep. IOW, do leaders need to be told to lead?

Leaders should know the ALPA national pay structure and deal with the facts.

Leaders should understand the political environment that effects our careers.

Leaders should know that management and gov't have different agendas.

Leaders should attend LEC meetings and not play ping pong in the rec room next door.

Leaders should self educate on the issues.

Leaders know that any organization is going to have faults yet they work together to effect positive change. They don't pack up thier marbles and go home.

Leaders are self starters that don't need to be hearded. Leaders don't play the blame game.

We can all sit around and say "well, I am not doing squat until ALPA fixes the three problems above". or "ALPA is corrupt" or "I hate ALPA". That attitude is self defeating, becuase is it your career. Your income. Your family. If you believe the above to be true, then get involved, informed and envoke positive change. Be a leader.

So, why have a turn this post back onto the membership? It is all about control.

In others words: control what you can and influence what you can't. The intent is to influence the ALPA membership to be effective leaders. Even followers can excerise leadership. No one can control your education, your LEC attendance, your understanding of the issues and your attitude. Only you can.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Contract,

Eggnog, maybe?

I'm not sure I understood your post. I hope all you guys at a major airline like Jetblue that somehow got there out of high school find a way to stick together...ALPA or in-house...or even a good frank pilot/mangement discussion group. I have no dog in this fight except I know a lot of very nice folks at JB, and wish them all the best.

Don't know you...but wish you a Happy New Year as well...

Where did you hear that? I think you are confused on your facts. Please clarify.

The Federal Aviation Administration took the first step late last month by permitting some Delta Air Lines Inc. pilots to be scheduled behind the controls for a total of more than the current eight-hour limit during a single workday.
It issued special operational rules covering Delta's daily flights between Mumbai, India, and New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport that will allow the carrier to complete the trips without having to add an additional flight crew beyond the four pilots normally required on shorter international routes. It is the longest nonstop flight for any U.S carrier, scheduled for a maximum of about 16.5 hours. With weather and other complications, the flight could last 17 hours or more, and officials estimate that some pilots could end up flying about 40 minutes longer than the usual cutoff.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back