• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue class dates

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
On page 26, I see forward looking aircraft orders. Is there a fleet count for the past several years. (I'm working from a phone, because I'm watching the kids for the day).

5 years ago, the order sheet looked impressive too. Then we pushed deliveries and started selling airframes as fast as we were taking them. I guess I'm a bit jaded and expect more of the same. That order sheet looks fantastic, but I don't expect the fleet to grow by the numbers on that order sheet. I expect the 40 NEO's will replace 40 old buses, I would also expect most of the 321's to replace older buses.

10 years from now I hope it is as rosy as you think. Recent history makes me think it wont be.

Planned aircraft deliveries:
2013 - 10 +135 pilots
2014 - 10 +135
2015 - 17 +230
2016 - 18 +243
2017 - 13 +176
2018 - 17 +230
2019 - 10 +135
2020 - 10 +135
2021 - 10 +135
Total +115 a/c +1553 pilots

Currently running about 13.5 pilots per plane

Deliveries account for 1553 new pilots between 2013-2021, putting the pilot group at approx 4000 pilots in year 2021 (assuming zero aircraft returns). That equates to a 9yr upgrade without any attrition. Toss in 100 guys leaving to DAL, 100 to AA, 200 more to other airlines over that time period and it reduces upgrade to about 6years (depending on when that attrition happens).

Someone double check these numbers, but I believe this is roughly accurate.

On page 26, I see forward looking aircraft orders. Is there a fleet count for the past several years. (I'm working from a phone, because I'm watching the kids for the day).

5 years ago, the order sheet looked impressive too. Then we pushed deliveries and started selling airframes as fast as we were taking them. I guess I'm a bit jaded and expect more of the same. That order sheet looks fantastic, but I don't expect the fleet to grow by the numbers on that order sheet. I expect the 40 NEO's will replace 40 old buses, I would also expect most of the 321's to replace older buses.

10 years from now I hope it is as rosy as you think. Recent history makes me think it wont be.

2012-172 aircraft through Q2, 5 more deliveries this year
2011-169 aircraft
2010-160 aircraft
2009-151 aircraft
2008-142 aircraft

Smarta$$... I stand corrected. We are growing. That is great news. Thank you for helping me see the light.

J32driver (il-informed on occastion... but never willfully lying!)

We're definitely not growing fast, but we are growing.

There is a lot of bull$hit that flies around about B6 from moronic captains that pull down $200K plus a year and have nothing better to do than piss and moan just for the sake of pissing and moaning. It makes me fcking sick.

Jetblue is NOT the best job in aviation. None of us dispute that. There is a LOT of room for improvement and a union is DEFINITELY needed, and I sincerely hope one is coming after August 17th. But it is a far cry from breaking rocks in an Afghani prison, like some of these morons would have you believe.

I'll address some reality for anyone hoping to come here:

20 year upgrade: BULL$HIT. Complete bull$hit. 20 years? Sure, if there is NO growth, NO attrition, and NO CBA, and NOBODY leaving for ANY reason whatsoever other than forced retirement. Anybody that lives in the real world knows that is NOT the case. Will it be as rosy as Smarta$$ says? I doubt it. But it is DEFINITELY not going to be as bad as J32, linepilot, and the other guys make it out to be. Reality is this: right now people are still upgrading at about 5 1/2 years. That is right now. Anybody that has spent any time in the airline business knows that upgrade projections are about as realiable as throwing 3 boogers on glass and betting your life savings on the middle booger to slide down fastest. I am realistically looking at 8 to 10 years. I've been here a year, and I'm about 550 or so seniority numbers from the most junior captain. Could be more, could be less. I don't give a damn, because here is more reality for you: I am on 2nd year pay, and I already make more than a lot of regional captains. If I spend the next 30 years in the right seat, I will retire comfortably at a solid 6 figure income, and I won't have to bang out 5 legs a day in a fcking Taco Rocket to do it. I'll do it running 1 leg down to paradise, laying over 24 hours, and running 1 leg back about 8 times a month. I'm perfectly OK with that. If I want to bore myself to death doing turns, I can do about 10 of those a month and be off 20 days. Whatever. I don't give a damn. Life is good either way.

Spending 24 nights a month in Kew Gardens on reserve: This is COMPLETE, TOTAL, AND UTTER BULL$HIT. You will spend 24 nights in Kew Gardens only in the summer months if you are complete fcking idiot and have no idea how to work the system, never call in sick, never burn any PTO or UTO, and generally hate yourself. Here is reality: I'm on reserve this month, I've picked up 1 trip, and I'm getting lots of long call because of how I land my days and work my schedule. I am a stupid fcking moron. If I can do it, anyone can. I can't wait till next month. After Labor Day, I REALLY won't be doing anything. Last year, I flew maybe 1 or 2 trips a month in Sep/Oct. I had to beg the CP for flying so I could finish consolidation. I went 2 solid months in Jan and Feb without TOUCHING AN AIRPLANE. That's right, I DID NOT FLY FOR TWO MONTHS. During that time, I spent an average of 4 to 5 nights a month in Kew. That's right, I did a two leg offline commute to reserve, and I had a better QOL than most lineholders.

The point is, this job is what you make of it. The staffing on the FO side is GREAT. If you come here, your life will be WAY better than at a regional, as long as you are not a moron and can figure out how to work the system. The captain side is much worse, though. Their staffing is not near as fat, they actually run out of reserves during IROPS, which is probably why they bitch so much. Well, fine. Rebid FO. Don't take the upgrade if you are not ready for what it entails. I know for a fact I'll be yanking gear until I am sure I can hold a solid line as a CA. I'm fine with that. If it takes longer, it takes longer. I don't care.

The point is this: B6 is a good job. It's WAY better than any regional job. It's not nor will it ever be as good as a legacy job. If a union comes, it'll take a few years, but things will get even better. If we get bought, we get bought. I don't give a flying rat's a$$. Staple me. I'll be on the bottom either way, and I'd rather be on the bottom of a list of a bunch of geriatric old farts with false teeth and little blue pills.

Come on down, regional captains. It's way better than what you are doing. Trust me, I've been there.

Hey, I never said anything was rosy. Just don't like dishonesty if intentional. I agree with your post V.

Understandable.

You and I are pretty much the same. We are both pro union, and we both know that improvements are needed at B6.

We also hate hearing whiny little turds that are pulling down $200K plus a year talk about this place like they're sewing together Reeboks in a Vienamese sweatshop.

All those guys can blow me.

Spending 24 nights a month in Kew Gardens on reserve: This is COMPLETE, TOTAL, AND UTTER BULL$HIT. You will spend 24 nights in Kew Gardens only in the summer months if you are complete fcking idiot and have no idea how to work the system, never call in sick, never burn any PTO or UTO, and generally hate yourself. Here is reality: I'm on reserve this month, I've picked up 1 trip, and I'm getting lots of long call because of how I land my days and work my schedule. I am a stupid fcking moron. If I can do it, anyone can. I can't wait till next month. After Labor Day, I REALLY won't be doing anything. Last year, I flew maybe 1 or 2 trips a month in Sep/Oct. I had to beg the CP for flying so I could finish consolidation. I went 2 solid months in Jan and Feb without TOUCHING AN AIRPLANE. That's right, I DID NOT FLY FOR TWO MONTHS. During that time, I spent an average of 4 to 5 nights a month in Kew. That's right, I did a two leg offline commute to reserve, and I had a better QOL than most lineholders.
Beware of these type of "when I was hired it was this way" and you can expect the same or close to treatment posts.

Everything she/he just bragged about is exactly the slop Jetblue is working out of the system. Flight Operations over hired last year for a number of reasons the least of which was new hire QOL. If you think that jetblue doesn't have a eagle eye on line pilots being paid 150% for open time trips while RSV are going "...2 solid months in Jan and Feb without TOUCHING AN AIRPLANE. That's right, I DID NOT FLY FOR TWO MONTHS..." all I can say is welcome to jetblue.

In the meantime if anyone is seriously looking at these new hire E190 spots be prepared to have SCR with 3:00 and to 11:00 shows and for most that will translate into a commute into Kew the day before your show. That all add up to more time in Kew than at home.

Good luck and keep your log book updated.

Latest resources

Back