• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

jetBlue canceled classes?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What do you think will happen when the fence comes down in October. I bet that Dave Barger will come to the E190 guys and offer them a one time monetary bonus to stay in the seat for up to another year. I also believe that the greatest movement will be in the right seat of the E190 as guys bid the bus for better QOL and trip selection. As a relatively senior JFK A320 FO (mid 1000 number) I am leaning towards bidding the left seat of the E190 as I really don't want to be on reserve for the next 3 years and I think I could be in one of the first post fence initial classes. Again I believe that there are about 50 E190 captains senior to me who just want to get back to the bus. I am interested to hear others opinions and thoughts on this subject.

Dave may or may not offer a bonus to stay on the 190. I think that would be a mistake. We should let the fence come down, and allow the natural transitions to occur. In the long run that will stabilize things.

I think the 190 may be a better choice if you want to upgrade, then bid the Bus in 2 or 3 years, and skip the entire reserve thing.

doubtful on the incentive bonus thing

What do you think will happen when the fence comes down in October. I bet that Dave Barger will come to the E190 guys and offer them a one time monetary bonus to stay in the seat for up to another year. I also believe that the greatest movement will be in the right seat of the E190 as guys bid the bus for better QOL and trip selection. As a relatively senior JFK A320 FO (mid 1000 number) I am leaning towards bidding the left seat of the E190 as I really don't want to be on reserve for the next 3 years and I think I could be in one of the first post fence initial classes. Again I believe that there are about 50 E190 captains senior to me who just want to get back to the bus. I am interested to hear others opinions and thoughts on this subject.

I doubt Barger will offer a bonus to stay on the 190, or the bus for that matter. Remember, in addition to the October master fence, everyone has their own personal freeze 2 years from when they went to the 190 (or the bus for that matter). Even if every 190 pilot bid the bus, the actual ammount leaving would be limited to training slots available. So either way there's not going to be some sort of mass exodus fleet wide.

Whatever financial incentive they were going to provide to reduce fleet crossover has already occured IMO. 3rd year bus pay was the largest single raise this last time around. Running the numbers for 320FO--->190CA now, especially when you consider the massive hit to trip quality, commutability, productivity, etc, there is very little financial incentive to leave the powerful bidding position of a 3rd year and up bus FO to become a 190 CA junior lineholder getting the bottom of the barell of significantly inferior trips, working more days, getting less commutable days, dramaticaly less available swaps and adds, etc. You will still make more, but not dramaticaly more when you factor all that into the equation.

There will be some 190CA---->320CA movement, and I don't think the company is prepared to offer a large enough financial incentive to prevent that. Many 190CA's could have been lineholding bus CA's by now but bought off on the hype about how great the 190 was going to be from a purely QOL standpoint. IMO there would have to be one heck of a bonus offered to change their minds at this point.

That leaves the relatively minor categories of 190FO----->320FO and 190CA------>320FO. There will likely be some of each for various reasons, but not a staggering number and certainly not enough to warrant the consideration of a bonus of any kind.

I doubt Barger will offer a bonus to stay on the 190, or the bus for that matter. Remember, in addition to the October master fence, everyone has their own personal freeze 2 years from when they went to the 190 (or the bus for that matter). Even if every 190 pilot bid the bus, the actual ammount leaving would be limited to training slots available. So either way there's not going to be some sort of mass exodus fleet wide.

Whatever financial incentive they were going to provide to reduce fleet crossover has already occured IMO. 3rd year bus pay was the largest single raise this last time around. Running the numbers for 320FO--->190CA now, especially when you consider the massive hit to trip quality, commutability, productivity, etc, there is very little financial incentive to leave the powerful bidding position of a 3rd year and up bus FO to become a 190 CA junior lineholder getting the bottom of the barell of significantly inferior trips, working more days, getting less commutable days, dramaticaly less available swaps and adds, etc. You will still make more, but not dramaticaly more when you factor all that into the equation.

There will be some 190CA---->320CA movement, and I don't think the company is prepared to offer a large enough financial incentive to prevent that. Many 190CA's could have been lineholding bus CA's by now but bought off on the hype about how great the 190 was going to be from a purely QOL standpoint. IMO there would have to be one heck of a bonus offered to change their minds at this point.

That leaves the relatively minor categories of 190FO----->320FO and 190CA------>320FO. There will likely be some of each for various reasons, but not a staggering number and certainly not enough to warrant the consideration of a bonus of any kind.

Either way, this movement will be limited by training slots. Nothing earth shattering will occur. I personally don't think much will happen with the fence that will throw the whole system out of whack. How many total CA upgrades are there in July for instance?

Answer: Zero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green
Is there such a thing as a pilot who would rather work for JetBlue than SWA? Seriously....

I for one live in NY, have a great time while at work with jetblue, enjoy flying 2 - 3 legs a day, got a 1250 on my SAT's, and did not pay alot for my car insurance! What a concept, someone (much more than one) seriously likes flying for jetblue rather than Southwest...

I got me a 1390 and I learned me enuf to know I aint payin' for no type ratin' no matter what!

I think a 1 week old decision hasn't affected our hiring plans. That was the question. Will it in the future? Uh, maybe. So will comets (and/or asteroids), hurricanes, ice storms, airplane sales, terrorist attacks, growth plans etc etc.

Has attrition slowed? That's what they tell us.

8vATE -- why don't you give these guys something real to think about, rather than make every jb thread some kind of weird chef attack? Tell a young JB prospective new hire for example, why he should come to jb, stay at jb, why he would enjoy jb etc. And why he should do so over SWA or any other airline hiring for that matter.

That's what this board is really about, right? Sharing the good and bad, so others can make the best decision possible. If you're so positive about jb, then let's hear it. Flow forth with the positive waves, Moriarty!

I reserve the right to be irreverently funny whenever I choose. Even if I am the only one that thinks it's funny.

posted for effect. he chooses which posts to respond to. give us the straight scoop, O God of 121!

I'll try to rehijack the thread. Heard from a friend of mine swimming in phase 2. The June 6 class will be the last JetBlue new hire class until mid-August. It sounds like the typical summer slowdown, nothing to get alarmed at. Last summer they didn't run any Airbus classes for two months.

I'll try to rehijack the thread. Heard from a friend of mine swimming in phase 2. The June 6 class will be the last JetBlue new hire class until mid-August. It sounds like the typical summer slowdown, nothing to get alarmed at. Last summer they didn't run any Airbus classes for two months.

How old is that information? Last I read on a forwarded email said no 190 classes for a couple months. Sounds like A320 going through as planned. I read that this past week.

S.

Latest resources

Back