• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

jetBlue canceled classes?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You may get lucky and upgrade on the 190 after the fence comes down. But there are a LOT of newhires in the Bus who will cross over when their seatlocks are up. Theoretically, it's possible make more in the left seat of the 190 than the right seat of the 320. Plus, there are some dudes who want to fly with their favorite a-hole everyday. :p Personally, I'd plan on 3 years for 190 Captain.

The 320 is where it gets ugly. I've talked to A LOT of 190 Captains who can't wait to get back in the Bus. Plus, throw in the unknown numbers of future Airbus sales that DB keeps talking about, and it's anyone's guess. But with a somewhat intelligent WAG, I'd say a newhire could plan on at least 5 years, possibly 6 or more, to upgrade on the Bus. Of course, while slowing, our massive attrition will keep things interesting as well...

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm thinking I'm pretty close...

Good Luck,
BS

I've heard a lot of different things about this, mostly 2 years from DOH to 190 CA and 3 years from DOH to 320 CA. I realize that this time is dependent on some unknowns such as attrition and fleet crossover once the fences are lifted but can anyone at JB who really knows something provide a realistic estimate based on what is happening now? Thanks.

I would add two comments to your post. We are still advertising that 2 year or less upgrade on the 190 and although there are quite a few younger pilots coming through the door the company is targeting the lower time regional pilot. An RJ captain is more likely to remain where they are or hold out for a better opportunity where a low time regional FO is looking at a few years to captain either way. In the past weeks I've have had 2 Comair captains on the jumpseat neither of which would come to work here. That in my opinion is sad.
Once the legacys are back in hiring mode we will be in big trouble from a hiring standpoint, more so than we are now. Jetblue is still a nice place to work but that wont keep many people around too much longer.

I don't think we have a crisis here at JetBlue when it comes to hiring well qualified pilots, even if the legacies started to spin up new hire classes. Heck, as longs as Skybus can find well qualified pilots to fly their planes, then JetBlue will be just fine.

Last edited:
I don't think we have a crisis here at JetBlue when it comes to hiring well qualified pilots, even if the legacies started to spin up new hire classes. Heck, as longs as Skybus can find well qualified pilots to fly their planes, then JetBlue will be just fine.

Well, Skybus was at AirInc in ATL this week and there was never a line to talk to them. I think those that did stop by were guys who were CFI's looking for regional jobs. I think Skybus will be filling their seats with very low time pilots or those who have FAA violations and bad employment records. JetBlue is not going to find the type of people they have been getting the last few years. I also have many friends who are regional captains and they will not even apply at JetBlue. Of course, there are a select few who live in NYC or BOS that may do it for QOL, but there aren't many high time regional captains or military guys who want to come here now. With that being said, there are thousands of new regional captains and even more experienced regional FO's who would be great at JetBlue. JetBlue will just have to adjust into hiring guys from a different pool than what they have in the past. Not a bid deal in my opinion. Airlines having trouble finding qualified applicants is a good thing. I would rather that be the case than have 10,000 furloughed guys to pick from.

Latest resources

Back