• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jetblew Is MESSED up!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was on the call and that's not exactly how it happened. A caller was worried about what the cost of attrition would be to JetBlue. Rob stated that from a pure numbers standpoint it is cheaper for people to leave and be replaced with guys on first year pay. This is not rocket science, everyone knows this. I am NOT a juicer or a big Rob supporter, but I do think this is being taken a little out of context.

It's not rocket science. But he admitted and has said they are prepared for the attrition. Meaning we are more expandable than we think. And with him saying that he basically said the pilots have no leverage. The whole wait and see when everyone leaves mantra means nothing.

He's not trying to inspire, he's trying to use fear. He basically said we re all expendable and the Blue is prepared and has been for what's going to happen in the next couple years.

You are using fear as well.
You are taking what RM said totally out on context to fit your argument.
I am not happy with the pea and have sent in a card and an updated card but please stop running around the internet saying things that are not true.

It's not fear. He just said from a numbers standpoint you/I/we are expendable because lower cost labor can replace us. They are aware, have been aware, have a plan in place for the consequences of this PEA. What don't you understand. Their pieces are in place, ours or not. We have no leverage. You really have no idea what's ahead and the battle that is about to ensue with a union coming on property.

It's not fear. He just said from a numbers standpoint you/I/we are expendable because lower cost labor can replace us. They are aware, have been aware, have a plan in place for the consequences of this PEA. What don't you understand. Their pieces are in place, ours or not. We have no leverage. You really have no idea what's ahead and the battle that is about to ensue with a union coming on property.

I am so glad you know of what I am and not aware of.
Look HK I came for a company the had good relations with thier pilots for the most part until they decided that it cost to much and decided to treat the pilots as the enemy not the solution (sound like anything you know?). I worked for ALPA as a Pro Standards member as well as chairman for over four years. So yes I am very aware of what is coming in faCT I have helped move that along not by sending one but two cards. So you can come down from your high horse and understand that some people have other opinions. The quote is out of context and you know it. But it is very true that replacing a senior guy with a junior guy saves money, until the point where you can't fly your schedules, you park planes, your training department falls apart, you blow your budget by putting out tons of rsa's and the company loses money. At that point jetblue will be looking for a new COO if that in fact happens.

RM has said that on more than one occasion and by accepting a 200 pilot attrition shows that they really don't care. We are cost units and nothing more. I'm sure that there is some bean counter equation for training expense/longevity expense vs. retention expense.
I'm glad that you recognize this, by sending in your card x 2.

I no longer care either...
I'm aggresively seeking other employment. Unfortunately, I'm too old to take advantage of the coming good 121 times.

I was on the call and that's not exactly how it happened. A caller was worried about what the cost of attrition would be to JetBlue. Rob stated that from a pure numbers standpoint it is cheaper for people to leave and be replaced with guys on first year pay. This is not rocket science, everyone knows this. I am NOT a juicer or a big Rob supporter, but I do think this is being taken a little out of context.

While it's true that it's cheaper to replace senior workers with lower cost first year employees, there's a large initial training cost so there's a certain amount of time before training costs are recouped. The general rule of thumb I've always heard is ~2 years. And some of those pilot losses will trigger multiple training events so the time to recoup training costs will be higher.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the total pilot headcount at JBLU ~2400? Losing 200 pilots in a year is more than 8% of the pilot population. An attrition rate that high is going to also cause some scheduling problems. I'm not buying that this will save JBLU money.

We own the sim, the building, the lights are always on, the A/C too, the instructors are on salary, the type rides are in the sim, IOE instructors are paid the same if they are on IOE or not.

About the only additional cost is a new ipad and uniforms and even those can be hand-me-downs. Subtract the $1800 in seed and HR paid for by employee pay roll deductions which the corp keeps it is about a wash.

I know that the origional plan for B6 was that only the pilots were considered Career Employees, everyone else were considered short term employees.

Now even the pilots are leaving, takes the airline business to a new low.

Anybody know what the status of the B6 flight attendants efforts to unionize?

Latest resources

Back