• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jetblew Is MESSED up!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We own the sim, the building, the lights are always on, the A/C too, the instructors are on salary, the type rides are in the sim, IOE instructors are paid the same if they are on IOE or not.

About the only additional cost is a new ipad and uniforms and even those can be hand-me-downs. Subtract the $1800 in seed and HR paid for by employee pay roll deductions which the corp keeps it is about a wash.

So all of that is done for free?

Come on splert, you know it costs money to train pilots.
Yes there is a point it's a wash but after that the cost to the company can add up fast. Its one thing to have OSC working 24/7 but if we start having operational issues because of staffing or start parking planes those costs will shoot up.

So the COO of a billion dollar operation is incorrect telling shareholders they're ready for attrition? Are you kidding? Whatever helps you swallow this PEA and the fact the group has no leverage. Keep lying to yourself. We ve been fleeced and you know it. And there's nothing you or I can do about it. At no point will there be parking A'C due to low staffing. Keep dreaming. I'll show them by not cleaning the back. It's over team. We lost.

Last edited:
So all of that is done for free?

Come on splert, you know it costs money to train pilots.
Yes there is a point it's a wash but after that the cost to the company can add up fast. Its one thing to have OSC working 24/7 [NEW SUBJECT --->)but if we start having operational issues because of staffing or start parking planes those costs will shoot up.
Variable training costs and operational risk are two different subjects. But what we were commenting on is that the ADDITIONAL cost of training over what is already sunk or fixed is MINIMAL and is oft overstated by those that think attrition financially HURTS BlueJet.

It doesn't and IMO ELT wants pilots to leave as it is a short sited BENEFIT to CASM.

Parking aircraft will not happen regardless of how short we get. Bank on it!!!

So the COO of a billion dollar operation is incorrect telling shareholders they're ready for attrition? Are you kidding? Whatever helps you swallow this PEA and the fact the group has no leverage. Keep lying to yourself. We ve been fleeced and you know it. And there's nothing you or I can do about it. At no point will there be parking A'C due to low staffing. Keep dreaming. I'll show them by not cleaning the back. It's over team. We lost.

Do you talk to yourself often?
I didn't say anything about the COO, just that there is a point where it becomes more expensive to have people leave than to keep them.

Variable training costs and operational risk are two different subjects. But what we were commenting on is that the ADDITIONAL cost of training over what is already sunk or fixed is MINIMAL and is oft overstated by those that think attrition financially HURTS BlueJet.

It doesn't and IMO ELT wants pilots to leave as it is a short sited BENEFIT to CASM.

So they said 200 guys was what they are planning for, what if they have 400 leave? We have planes coming and need to hire 150-250 for just that. So jetblue can train 650 pilots in a year? I am no finance guy but there is a point where attrition can hurt jetBlue. But hey you guys know all.

Splert, you've understated the costs of training pilots. How much do pilots get paid while in training? Housing costs? Could those instructor pilots be flying the line rather than training new hires? How about interview costs? There are a lot of costs associated with attrition; some of those may be sunk costs, but spooling up your company to hire 200 pilots/yr is not cheap.
I don't know what the progression is at JBLU; does it go from E190FO > E190CA > A320FO > A320CA? If so, it's unlikely that there would be very many single training events for each pilot that leaves. If you're losing a lot of A320FOs, that would create 3 training events - a whole lot more costly than a single training event because you now have 3 pilots that you're paying and housing for several weeks that aren't producing any revenue.

Your management is telling you a best case scenario when they tell you that it will be cheaper to hire new pilots - I'm sure that there are multiple pilot loss scenarios that have them very concerned.
... didn't one of JBLU's management call Delta and ask them to delay recall of the 30+ pilots (my understanding is that they were all A320CAs) for a few months? I read something about that; don't recall the exact details though.

Splert, you've understated the costs of training pilots. How much do pilots get paid while in training? Housing costs? Could those instructor pilots be flying the line rather than training new hires? How about interview costs? There are a lot of costs associated with attrition; some of those may be sunk costs, but spooling up your company to hire 200 pilots/yr is not cheap.
I don't know what the progression is at JBLU; does it go from E190FO > E190CA > A320FO > A320CA? If so, it's unlikely that there would be very many single training events for each pilot that leaves. If you're losing a lot of A320FOs, that would create 3 training events - a whole lot more costly than a single training event because you now have 3 pilots that you're paying and housing for several weeks that aren't producing any revenue.

Your management is telling you a best case scenario when they tell you that it will be cheaper to hire new pilots - I'm sure that there are multiple pilot loss scenarios that have them very concerned.
... didn't one of JBLU's management call Delta and ask them to delay recall of the 30+ pilots (my understanding is that they were all A320CAs) for a few months? I read something about that; don't recall the exact details though.

Unfortunately, also factored into the equation is the amount of money it would cost to try and retain those pilots.

A-B=C

A=training costs

B=savings from 1st year pilots salary

C=cost of a contract good enough to retain pilots

Probably don't have the equation perfect, but we all get the idea.

Splert, you've understated the costs of training pilots. How much do pilots get paid while in training? Housing costs? Could those instructor pilots be flying the line rather than training new hires? How about interview costs? There are a lot of costs associated with attrition; some of those may be sunk costs, but spooling up your company to hire 200 pilots/yr is not
$2,500
Not much as concur shows costs at 60 a night.
Salaried and many are not on our seniority list
Chief pilots and people dept are on salary, pins is 5 hours

Jetblue is very different in that even those fools that show up at conferences are doing it for free. Should have heard the cat fight at WIA conference.

The saving are substantial as the cost of an FO between years 5 - 10 is greater than 1 - 3.

Latest resources

Back