• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jet Blue firing???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm just a firm beleiver in MURPHY'S LAW....IF you leave you'r a$$ un-protected, someone will take advantage of the OPPORTUNITY!!....and NO, I'M not a PESSIMIST..Just a guy who has seen what management can do when the pilot group is VULNERABLE...Remember, "the wheel gets RE-INVENTED every monday morning at the dept. heads meeting"..Just something to think about...

You flamers are absolutely correct. By getting rid of the top guys after five years, Airbus will give us more free 320's! You have figured out the business model. Please don't let this information get out. I better get my resume ready 'cause The End Is Near!

of course their going to fire the "top heavy" pilots after 5 years. thats when jetblue starts paying for their aircraft..................

I read the contract that was sent to me. Pretty straight forward and it actually looks like it protects both parties pretty well. It gives reasons why the agreement would be terminated and clearly spells out that those are the only reasons. I do not see how anyone could be fired unless you violate those reasons. It also says that the pilots will be reviewed on a regular basis to see if there are any deviations from what is stated. If you are following the provisions stated, you should be ok.

Kathy

Firing an employee

My brother is a Union Lawyer, and I've discussed this topic of "firing" several times with him...especially after opening my own business 7 mos ago. An employer CAN fire an employee for no reason (if that employee is not under a union contract). As my brother put it: "can't an employee quit without a reason?...why,then, shouldn't he be able to be let go without a reason?"

If an employer does fire an employee without documented reasons, the employers unemployment insurance will likely go up since he'll be facing a (more) claims. He also could be vulnerable to litigation as the employee might contend that he/she was being fired because he/she was a (fill in the blank) instead of any other reason. Interestingly one of his clients did contend that he/she was fired because he/she was a he/she....different topic for another thread.

The issue in this thread that makes me ill is the cynicism about JB mgt, like somehow they are just waiting to cut pilots after their initial contract. THIS DEFIES LOGIC ON SEVERAL LEVELS:

a) do you REALLY think pilots would apply to a company two, three, or four years from now if JB started firing pilots this year who reach the end of the contract?
b) WTF about JB mgt (especially DN) makes you think they are capable of this dastardly act?

Realize, please, that I am just a military pogue who actually wants a job with JB.....WHY?...oh simply because the five buds I know who work for them LOVE WORKING FOR THEM! Me want be happy too....

On my cynical days, I have this notion that all the crows sitting on their perches 20 years from now will still be squaking about JB getting ready to screw it's pilots....and JB pilots will still be shaking their heads and laughing....

$350,000 to hire and train one pilot? I thought you guys are efficient....better get that cost down!

Vortilon said:
$350,000 to hire and train one pilot? I thought you guys are efficient....better get that cost down!
I think someone added a zero to embellish.

C ya

1-tacan-rule said:
My brother is a Union Lawyer, and I've discussed this topic of "firing" several times with him...especially after opening my own business 7 mos ago. An employer CAN fire an employee for no reason (if that employee is not under a union contract). As my brother put it: "can't an employee quit without a reason?...why,then, shouldn't he be able to be let go without a reason?"

If an employer does fire an employee without documented reasons, the employers unemployment insurance will likely go up since he'll be facing a (more) claims. He also could be vulnerable to litigation as the employee might contend that he/she was being fired because he/she was a (fill in the blank) instead of any other reason. Interestingly one of his clients did contend that he/she was fired because he/she was a he/she....different topic for another thread.
A union can fire an employee even if they ARE under a union contract. I have seen them come up with bogus reasons. The problem is, they better have their ducks in a row and have proper documentation. The companies bank on the fact that the employee will not be able to withstand the length of TIME it takes to get your job back. The grievance process is long and it takes forever to get an arbitration date. One gal at my former airline was fired for a "failed drug test." Her husband was very involved in the formation of a union for rampers. Turns out the claim was bogus on the part of the company, but it took her 3 YEARS to get her job back! I know of three people personally that are in arbitration to get their jobs back - all fired on bogus reasons.

Also, if you are living in a "termination at will" or a "right to work" state, you are vulnerable - with or without a union. You are correct that their experience rating will go up if unemployment claims are filed, and through the appeals process, the company loses. And yes, they are also vulnerable to lawsuits - but once again, who has the money to pursue a lawsuit? Employers will roll the dice so to speak.

When I did HR, I never had an unemployment claim rule in favor of the employee because I documented everything properly and followed protocol, with everything clearly spelled out. The difference being that many people who terminate employees are NOT HR trained and know nothing of the law or proper documentation. ONE word in a termination letter can change the whole scope of the termination.

Am I a lawyer? Not by a long shot! :) I do not presuppose to know everything about employment law or the legalities involved. But having been in HR for many years, I have seen a lot of pitfalls happen because individuals in a management capacity have no clue on how to handle employee terminations.

Just my two cents...

Kathy

Simple logic would dictate that if DN and company DID NOT want unions on the property....then it would PROBABLY NOT be a good idea to abuse a five year employment contract with the employees....I don't know but this seems pretty basic to me! I would like to challenge the pro union dudes to name an unionless airline that actually NEEDS a union based on management treatment! I also would like to see a survey of companies (not just airlines) comparing work rules and QOL issues with and without unions. My $$ would definitely be put in favor of the unionless companies!
If JB started firing guys for questionable reasons, the whole corporate culture would change. That corporate culture is the golden key to JB's success...and their killer finance deal of not having to pay for Airbusses..or engines, or gates....just snacks! I am hoping for the same deal on my Mortgage...no bites yet...

PS...I think if I were a JB pilot I would be far more worried about management leaving or retiring than I would be about a five year employment contract.

The $350k to HIRE and train a pilot came from HR as they use that figure for tax credits. But if you think about it, the breakdown is about 10K to hire, do background checks, travel and hotel expenses, interviewers time and salaries, sim time, salry and hotel expenes in MIA, rental cars, IOE time, instructor salaries and benefits, etc., etc. and then there's unemployment costs for the fired pilot. It costs big bucks! That's why we have such high standards in hiring. As to the previous comment about not nice people at JB, well you've got to be here. I know at least 9000+ pilots want to be here.

Latest resources

Back