• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jet Blue firing???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey now, posting unsubstantiated BS is way more fun than the truth!

Why is there such a large input of "knowledge" on the subject of unions, on a thread dealing with a company with no union, by people whom do not even work there, or desire to. Just like the idiots who complain about Howard Stern, TV shows, Professional Athlete pay, etc. This is America, if you don't like it, don't go along with it. But don't also bash those that do. Then again, that is another right of being an American.

Skank said:
Or, screw it, let's just post unsubstantiated B.S. on this board and let the sparks fly.
Uh....I thought we were all already doing that? :)

Cost

What is not mentioned in this scenario is that JB was designed to compete in the low cost carrier market.

Yes, it is just great to have all these wonderful benefits and not be required to work that hard to get them. The fact is that they have a cost. The benefits that the labor groups get usually pass along to some degree to the non labor groups in the same company.

The result is a higher cost structure. It needs to be recognized that those costs can drive you right out of the market you are trying to obtain.

If all the legacy carriers were to fail, what then with all the great benefits. That can't happen. Let there be another terrorist event, you will see.

Publishers wrote:
Let there be another terrorist event, you will see.
To paraphrase you, Publishers,"Let there be another terrorist event, we will see."

This thought bolsters your point even further. Should there be another large scale attack on the US proper, especially via commercial aviation, we will all bear the brunt of the traveling public's angst. Noting the turndown of air travel immediately in the aftermath of 9-11, no carrier would be immune from the decrease in seat demand after a future attack. Sadly, some weaker carriers would undoubtedly fold, and I make no predictions as to who--the crystal ball is far to murky to see the variables affecting such a tragedy.

Let's simply hope that this scenario does not play out. As for now, I agree with dgs--this thread is based on conjecture and not worthy of further debate on the subject.

But far be it for me to end such an entertaining thread!:D

Quit giving conjecture.

Alright, lad, fair enough. How is your A fund doing? Oh, what's that? You don't have a pension? Funny enough, that's odd. Well, once you suceed in your successful petition to the FAA to fly over 8 hour duty days, I am sure that safety will improve there at JB. Safety first, right? As long as it doesn't come in the way of profits for your management. Or pesky things like retirement. He!!, who makes it to 60 these days anyway? Keats died at 25.

Chappysan said:
Alright, lad, fair enough. How is your A fund doing? Oh, what's that? You don't have a pension? Funny enough, that's odd. Well, once you suceed in your successful petition to the FAA to fly over 8 hour duty days, I am sure that safety will improve there at JB. Safety first, right? As long as it doesn't come in the way of profits for your management. Or pesky things like retirement. He!!, who makes it to 60 these days anyway? Keats died at 25.
Although I dont work at JB the sarcasm was too thick to resist. The A fund you are so fond of is called profit sharing, heard of it? Oh thats right to have profit sharing you have to make a profit. Oh your carrier has not made one in the recent past? Well its the difference between what you charge passengers and what it costs you to provide the service. Those A funds are really burning down the house these days.

Now as far as the 8 hour duty day goes...aint gonna happen.

chappysan:

Since it appears you haven't been keeping up with the times let me share a couple of thoughts.

First, the traditional DB pension plan concept is under heavy attack in almost all industry categories here in the US. It is not something that is peculiar to the airline industry only. The fiscal enertia this long-term trend has created is virtually unstoppable as more and more companies realize that to offer such plans puts them at a significant competitive disadvantage, and possible financial extinction.

Next, with all the widespread bashing of the gross incompetence of airline management groups on this board I am quite surprised that many of these same people put such blinding faith in the collection of future pension benefits...benefits which are managed by these so-called incompetent, dishonest executives. Talk about your kool-aid drinkers!

What's happening now with the future of DB pensions should serve as a wake-up call to every airline employee to stop believing in the naive idea that there is a pension tooth fairy who will provide you a pot of gold when you're eligble to retire from active employment. Everyone should be ready to take full responsibility for funding their own retirement and make the adult choices that come with being truly self-reliant over your financial obligations. Frankly I'm glad to do this myself and would rather not put my trust in someone else (person or institution). Of course this means that we must make some hard choices between unmitigating spending habits and developing the self-discipline to learn how to put enough money aside and establish an investment strategy to fund such a retirement.

You can spend the next ten years b'ching, complaining, and pointing fingers about the gross injustices we are witnessing, or you can read the tea leaves, get off your duff and do something constructive about your financial future, and use that lost time more productively (Just imagine where GL would be financially if he cut his online time on this board in half ;) ). Is what's happening fair?...H3ll no! But that's just the way life is sometimes...so get over it!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back