Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BIGBROWNDC8

:confused:

I heard from some friends that JB had fired some pilots who were approaching thier 5 year mark. This is not flame, Im just curious if this is true from anyone at JB or if this was just BS... If its true what were the circumstances surrounding the firings? Ive been on vacation and out of the loop. Thanks... BBDC8

BIGBROWNDC8 said:
:confused:

I heard from some friends that JB had fired some pilots who were approaching thier 5 year mark. This is not flame, Im just curious if this is true from anyone at JB or if this was just BS... If its true what were the circumstances surrounding the firings? Ive been on vacation and out of the loop. Thanks... BBDC8
Not being a Jet Blue employee, I could not tell you true or false.

If it is true, I would have to venture a guess that perhaps they were trouble makers of some sort. Here is a direct quote from the JetBlue Annual report:

"We enter into individual employment agreements with each of our FAA-licensed employees. Each employment agreement is for a term of five years and automatically renews for an additional five-year term unless either the employee or we elect not to renew it. Pursuant to these agreements, these employees can only be terminated for cause. In the event of a downturn in our business, we are obligated to pay these employees a guaranteed level of income and to continue their benefits if they do not obtain other aviation employment. As we are not currently obligated to pay this guaranteed income and benefits, no amounts related to these guarantees are included in the table above."

From an EMPLOYERS standpoint, they were very smart in making employees sign those contracts. It gives them an out in case they have people working for them that are less than desirable. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people out there that can fool you in the interview, and even a year or so into their employment. But, eventually, they show their true colors. I am certain that if they did fire anyone, it was for cause. Even though there is a contract, there must be some kind of guidelines that people have to meet. (I am not sure what they are because I have not seen the contract.)

It does not make sense for any company to arbitrarily fire employees - especially pilots who cost so much to train and maintain proficiency. Further, the cost of acquiring a new employee is money that they would rather not spend. That is why a good many companies have an in-depth hiring process.

I would be curious to see this contract language if anyone is willing to send it to me.

From an EMPLOYEE side of things - no matter WHO you work for, document every issue that comes up. No matter how small you may think it is. That way, if you are fired, you also have a paper trail.

Kathy

Nope. No firings. That would be foolish. If someone deserved to be fired, it would be independent of the 5 year deal.

Skirt

Resume Writer said:
From an EMPLOYERS standpoint, they were very smart in making employees sign those contracts.
From an employer's standpoint, it would seem that NO contract would be a more flexible approach. THEN, Management would be free to fire a pilot at any time for no cause at all. It seems to me the individual contracts are just enough to appease most pilots there to not seek a collective bargaining arrangement.

Resume Writer said:
I would be curious to see this contract language if anyone is willing to send it to me.
They're real tight-lipped about that - - as many as frequent this forum, none were eager to cough up a copy when this subject last came up. You might find a link with a forum search, or I can forward you the copy I acquired once I get back home.

TonyC said:
From an employer's standpoint, it would seem that NO contract would be a more flexible approach. THEN, Management would be free to fire a pilot at any time for no cause at all. It seems to me the individual contracts are just enough to appease most pilots there to not seek a collective bargaining arrangement.

They're real tight-lipped about that - - as many as frequent this forum, none were eager to cough up a copy when this subject last came up. You might find a link with a forum search, or I can forward you the copy I acquired once I get back home.
That was my original thought about the pilots not seeking a collective bargaining agreement. But, I also think Neeleman is smart enough to keep his people happy through paying them well and giving them a good work environment.

As for the "flexibility" of being able to fire a pilot for any reason without a contract, that is not really going to protect them from lawsuits which could go in the employees favor. This way, it keeps the temptation of management from firing someone just because they do not like them. Not saying that there might not still be lawsuits; there very well could be lawsuits - especially if there is no documentation or cause.

I would love to see a copy when you get back. I just want to see how it is worded to see if there are any potential loopholes in it. I just appreciate a well-worded legal document.

Kathy

As a jetBlue pilot, do I think our management would fire you if they didnt like you? Absolutely!!! I have been told there is one assistant chief pilot that would like nothing more than to see me gone. Have I ever screwed up? Nope. My nose has been kept so clean just for this reason. It sucks to be afraid to lose your job. Especially in this environment.

i suppose there is always a possibility of just terrible bad luck, but where there is smoke there is usually fire. if one keeps their nose clean and never had an issue how do you get on the bad side of a chief pilot? this isn't meant to say you did anything, i just am honestly curious what you think he dislikes so much and how something like that comes to pass?

Latest resources

Back