Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Simply, it's bullsh!t.

a320drivr said:
As a jetBlue pilot, do I think our management would fire you if they didnt like you? Absolutely!!! I have been told there is one assistant chief pilot that would like nothing more than to see me gone. Have I ever screwed up? Nope. My nose has been kept so clean just for this reason. It sucks to be afraid to lose your job. Especially in this environment.
what'd you do?

Hey, a320driver, PM me. I'll go to Pete R. on your behalf, if I have to, to get this monkey off your back.

Last edited:
As to the firing after five years, my senority hasn't moved since the last retirement. It costs JB over $350k to hire and train pilots. Dumb economics to can some one after that investment for no cause. The over five year guys are in fact working on a six to ten year contract with mgmt. As to the comment about an asst. chief is waiting for an excuse to fire you, BS. Contact the Values Committee and they will straighten him out. The last firing of any pilot was because the guy lied about a bunch of stuff. Having flown with him, you wouldn't him in your cockpit.

JB Bus Drvr said:
As to the firing after five years, my senority hasn't moved since the last retirement. It costs JB over $350k to hire and train pilots. Dumb economics to can some one after that investment for no cause. The over five year guys are in fact working on a six to ten year contract with mgmt. As to the comment about an asst. chief is waiting for an excuse to fire you, BS. Contact the Values Committee and they will straighten him out. The last firing of any pilot was because the guy lied about a bunch of stuff. Having flown with him, you wouldn't him in your cockpit.
Is that 350k to train (1) pilot?

Resume Writer said:
That was my original thought about the pilots not seeking a collective bargaining agreement. But, I also think Neeleman is smart enough to keep his people happy through paying them well and giving them a good work environment.

As for the "flexibility" of being able to fire a pilot for any reason without a contract, that is not really going to protect them from lawsuits which could go in the employees favor. This way, it keeps the temptation of management from firing someone just because they do not like them. Not saying that there might not still be lawsuits; there very well could be lawsuits - especially if there is no documentation or cause.

I would love to see a copy when you get back. I just want to see how it is worded to see if there are any potential loopholes in it. I just appreciate a well-worded legal document.

Kathy
FedEx pilots operated for a very long time with no contract, and no guarantee of a job tomorrow. As it was, Management could have fired someone because they parted their hair on the wrong side, so long as that reason was not stated. No reason would have been required. Lawsuits could only develop if and when Management were to have stated a reason for firing that fell outside of reasonable justification for firing. In other words, as long as they didn't SAY it was because of the hairdo, they could fire you because of your hairdo.

I think Neeleman has at least THAT much going for him that he's got everyone locked in, and at the same time locked out, with the individual contracts he uses.

About the contract, first let me link you to a recent conversation on this forum about the JetBlue Contract: http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=33096

And now a link to a website that has the contract: http://www.apapdp.org/oal.contracts.php

Hmmmmmm..... very interesting... the JetBlue contract has been removed.

Lucky for me, I saved a copy on the ole hard drive... Look for it in e-mail, Kathy! :)

Whats next??

It must be disconcerning to walk the tight rope without a net...A new standard in AIRLINE CULTURE.. Whats next, INDENTURED SERVANTS??

Oh, I doubt very much, any of the pilots at jetBlue feel they are walking on a "tightrope, a320drvr claim nothwithstanding.

A320drvr, I too would like to hear, how one gets into trouble, if one keeps his nose clean?

What rights??

Has anybody ever heard the term "RECYCLING THE PAY SCALE". It seems to me that JB has in its reach the tools to LIQUIDATE the top heavy pilots by opting not to renew the mutually agreed 5 year contract....If you sign on the dotted line, you have no right to pursue RESTITUTION....Maybe it is a TEMP JOB after all???

Why discuss this with you, you obviously know what they are going to do. I guess I should be concerned, but strangely enough, I am not.

Latest resources

Back