• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jet Blue firing???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The contract is a formality... When I signed it 3 years ago, we signed on to make $78/hr and F/Os at $43/hr. Gee, in the middle of my 5 year contract, I got a 32% raise-- show me guys what airline did that in the middle of your contracts???

I want to thank you all, for showing such concern for the pilot employees at jetblue. It is nice to see, so many of you show such caring and thought for us. Most of us are brand new to the business and as such, were not aware of the many infractions management at airlines have perpetrated againts their employees or how a great job can turn to shat.

I hope you will continue, to show us Koolaid drinking neophytes, the right way!

wndshr said:
I also would like to see a survey of companies (not just airlines) comparing work rules and QOL issues with and without unions. My $$ would definitely be put in favor of the unionless companies!
Working with a Union Contract vs. Working non-union

The Following is a List of general advantages enjoyed by an Employee working under a Union contract as opposed to an Employee working in a non-union position. Your specific contract may have additional advantages
Contract
A legal document that defines hours of work, wages, and other conditions of employment; establishes procedures for the resolution of disputes.

Contract
No Contract. Employer’s rules and policies may be changed at the employer’s discretion or whim.

Wages
Union wages are negotiated with your employer and are guaranteed and spelled out in your contract.

Wages
Employer arbitrarily sets wages. The law requires payment of minimum wage under certain conditions.

Seniority
Used to determine, a among other things, placement on wage schedule, layoff procedure, vacation and holiday scheduling, overtime assignments, job bidding, shift scheduling.

Seniority
At the employer’s discretion whether to use seniority.

Discipline
For just cause only, following progressive discipline.

Discipline
YOU’RE FIRED . . .Employment at will.

Grievances
The contract provides a structured procedure for handling disputes in the workplace which are in violation of that contract.

Grievances
The employer may provide an "open door" policy to discuss disputes, but the employee often finds the door has been shut and locked.

Arbitration
The contract provides for arbitration of grievances, when appropriate, at the Union’s expense.

Arbitration
Any legal action brought by an employee against an employer must be paid for by the employee.

Health/Welfare/Pension
Benefits negotiated by the Union, most often with employer contributions to premiums.

Health/Welfare/Pension
Not required under law. Employer’s option.

Vacations
Paid vacation negotiated according to length of service with the employer (seniority).

Vacations
Vacations given, paid or unpaid, at the employer’s whim.

Holidays
Holidays above and beyond legal holidays (i.e., Christmas, 4th of July, etc.) With pay negotiated by the Union.

Holidays
The employer must observe certain holidays by law, but is not obligated to pay the employee for these holidays.

Sick Leave
Paid sick leave or short term disability.

Sick Leave
Sick leave paid at employer’s discretion.

Leaves of Absence/Parental Leaves
Negotiated leaves which go beyond laws, with return to work guarantees.

Leaves of Absence/Parental Leaves
The employer must grant only those leaves mandated by law and only under strict guidelines.

Layoff
Protected by seniority. Return-to-work- rights specified in contract.

Layoff
No protection for long-term workers. In fact, sometimes layoffs start with long-term, higher paid workers.

Protection
Language that protects the Union members in case of sale, merger, take-over or closing of business.

Protection
NONE.

Small/Big Companies
Employees in small companies have same rights and protections as those in big companies, as negotiated in the contract.

Small/Big Companies
Rights and protections legislated by size of company, number of employees, cash assets, etc. under State and Federal law.

Dues
Small portion of entire wages and benefits paid to Union for representation.

Dues
No dues - no rights! (But you may get a turkey at Thanksgiving!)

Percentage of Firms Offering Each Benefit
Union vs. Non-Union

asdf

UNION
NON-UNION
Medical Insurance

86.0%
63.5%
Disability Insurance

Life Insurance

Dental Insurance

Retirement Plan

Performance Bonus

Paid Sick Days

Paid Vacation Days

Paid Holidays

Profit Sharing

Bonuses

Stock Options

Education Reimbursement

Company Car

Club Memberships

Sources: Cahners Research and Contractor Magazine

Unionism?

Unionism...By far not a perfect science, but a much needed SAFETY NET in todays complex business world..Remember folks, management teams come and go, but pilots....Well, we are married to the airline, hopefully untill retirement arrives..If you are willing to bet that the present work rules at JB will last forever..Wait untill the bean counters determine that "COST REDUCTIONS MUST BE IMPLEMENTED".Then all you can do is run and put on you'r rain coat CUZ the SH!T STORM just begun.....and that's just my 2 cents!!

Man, you Union guys get all that stuff, and for free right? Ok, that's it, how do we get one of them thar' Unions where I work? I really like the "club memberships" as an added bonus. That in and of itself would be worth it.

:rolleyes: C yaaa

jetblue320 said:
Man, you Union guys get all that stuff, and for free right? Ok, that's it, how do we get one of them thar' Unions where I work? I really like the "club memberships" as an added bonus. That in and of itself would be worth it.

:rolleyes: C yaaa
Hey, it was just a general comparison and no one said union membership was free. Once you get off the kool aid, you might want to consider that unions were not created in a vacuum, they are a result of management practices. You mock one silly benefit, but you ignore the rest, which points out that that overwhelmingly unionized workers enjoy superior benefits, qol and pay. Any benefits, work rules or job security which you imagine that you have is subject to change at managements discretion whenever it feels like it.

thanks for the comparison! didn't think someone would take the time to do it!

anyway, it only drives the point that JB must be more than an exceptional place to work since they enjoy the same "benefits" that a unionized company offers plus more! the most important thing that you missed on the list of benefits that a union/nonunion organization offers........drum role...........MORALE! an intangible that is worth way more than $$$$$$$$$. if the TRUST is broken between management and labor, there is no amount of $$$$ or lack thereof, which will buy back morale. I think this is the most important point that DN and company at JB understand. Sure, they don't have union contracts, grievances etc to deal with...but...they know the simple management/labor formula is very delicate and once breached, it can destroy a working relationship.

That is why my current opinion stands.......if I were a JB pilot, I would be more worried about losing the current mgt than anything else! With the current mgt, it is clear no union is needed! If for some reason the management/labor formula ever breaks..all bets are off!

FDJ2 said:
Hey, it was just a general comparison and no one said union membership was free. Once you get off the kool aid, you might want to consider that unions were not created in a vacuum, they are a result of management practices. You mock one silly benefit, but you ignore the rest, which points out that that overwhelmingly unionized workers enjoy superior benefits, qol and pay. Any benefits, work rules or job security which you imagine that you have is subject to change at managements discretion whenever it feels like it.
Hey, I was making a joke. And truth be known, I'll never be off the kool-aid. I do not care where unions were created. I have belonged to them before and that is why I do not belong to them now. That is good for me and that is all that counts. Now before you go off calling me selfish and tell me how my company is going to screw me someday, why do you care if JB has a union anyway? The folks I work for have never given me any reason to think that the QOL and benefits I have now will go away. Not in my lifetime anyway. So please save your salespitch for someone who is buying, I'm not.

C yaa

Latest resources

Back