• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is the worst over at Flexjet?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flex pilots are not paying for their training, therefore they don't fall under the same weak rules. Our training department looks at every guy/gal coming in with the same attitude. If you can't pass the ride, you don't belong. They won't put their jobs and family at risk just like all of us here won't. That is the difference. You pass a guy at FSI and you don't fear reprisal. You bust a guy at FSI, and that might very well happen.

LOL-when's the last time Flight Safety failed anyone whose check cleared?

The bottom line on the training department at Flexjet is that way too many people have lost their jobs due to failed checkrides and, not once has anyone considered it a training department problem. Since my time here, I can recall quite a few firings from checkrides yet, I have never heard of a failure that eventually resulted in a subsequent pass. This should raise flags that our training dept needs to be looked at very thoroughly but, that will never happen until lawyers or the FAA gets involved.

Art, thanks for the shared insight. Training is an issue that reaches across all the fracs. Lack of standardization (including in-house programs) is a problem that NJASAP has worked w/NJA on, going back to their 1108 days. Clear, evenly applied rules and due process when questions arise are basic rights that all frac pilots deserve. Contrary to what some posters believe, fair-minded managers welcome the input pilots bring to the training discussion because they realize that pilots have a vested interest in the final product and support improvements.

I hope those pilots who have seen questionable firings will consider standing together to insist on fair treatment for all in their group. When managers are free to ruin a pilot's career, without any oversight, there's no reason to think their attitude will be confined to training alone. Indeed, it seems to be evident in the arbitrary 2 yr recall given to furloughed pilots at Flex when the industry standard is unlimited. I think you guys deserve parity. NJW

Rant on.............

First off NJW, our training is standardized. Second, Art, you obviously have never been an instructor otherwise you would not be talking out your exhaust. Having been in the center and having had one bust and me personally doing the retrain to see them pass, I can say you don't have a clue. Also, I have been on the side where I had the individual who went to the TRB and came in for additional training. After the pilots requested amount of time, I was unable to sign the individual off on anything after 2 1/2 hours in the sim. The sad thing is that I went over exactly what they busteed before. I personally know of 2 TRB's in the recent months in which the pilots went to the TRB, did their retrain and are back flying the line. Ask around, I am sure you can find out who it is. The bottom line, before you go spewing BS about the center, find out the facts first because you are completely oblivious to the goings on in the center. Also, there is not a single instructor who gets any pleasure on one of our pilots busting a ride. We actually take it personally.

Rant off.....

Sorry, but this strikes a nerve. Art has NO idea what he is talking about. There have been MANY unsat checkrides that have been subsequently passed with further training. Those who know who I am and what I do can attest to my first hand knowledge. Even the best of us have bad days and or brainfarts. This in no way means you are fired. Get a clue ART.

CL300 and FJ, I tend to take a broader view of issues than many of the pilots. To me standardization encompasses written and agreed-upon rules (preferably laid out at the bargaining table where pilots can represent their own interests) which assure a line pilot that due process will be followed in every case. Do instructors at Flex have anything against such an "insurance policy"? Wouldn't a system that followed prescribed contract rules prevent potential problems and the perception of unfairness that Art must have gotten somewhere? Considering that even in sports, from Little League games to professional events, they abide by official rules and referees, why would Flex pilots not want a similar guarantee for the very serious issue of their career? Thanks for the friendly discussion, NJW

NJW,

While we are as you know not a unionized shop like NJA, every pilot has access to the same rules that the instructors follow for Flex, NJA, Shares, Flops and any other operator. It is called the 8400.10. This is the FAA manual on how a check ride is to be handled, what the instructors are allowed and not allowed to do and any other requirements for ATP checkrides. Each instructor not only has one, but is also required by the FAA to follow this very guide. All simulator instructors are checked yearly by the FAA to ensure quality. In our case, each instructor is checked without another instructor as the pilots being checked.

With regards to Art, you appear to be an intelligent women. If you go back on any posting by Art regarding Flex, it is always in the view of a conspiracy theory. He spews more garbage than Mount Vesuvius.

With regards to rules and referees, the same follows for my initial posting regarding the check ride criteria. If someone busts, there are specific actions that are taken which the company follows to the letter. Any pilot who has an issue with an instructor is welcome to bring it up to their ACP, CP as well as the supervisor of training.

The bottom line is that the instructors are not out to get anyone. Believe me, if they were, the biggest headaches with the company would have been gone a long time ago and those same people casting stones would be thanking the instructors. Even before I became an instructor, I never had a single issue with any of my rides. I always found the guys to be straight forward and totally honest with what I was going to see over then next 2 hours of my ride. Is Flex perfect? Hell no it's not. It is not however what is being painted by some. People need to use their own intellect to decifer the b.s. from the reality.

Hope this helps clear up your thoughts.

Cheers

To me standardization encompasses written and agreed-upon rules (preferably laid out at the bargaining table where pilots can represent their own interests) which assure a line pilot that due process will be followed in every case. Do instructors at Flex have anything against such an "insurance policy"? Wouldn't a system that followed prescribed contract rules prevent potential problems and the perception of unfairness that Art must have gotten somewhere? Considering that even in sports, from Little League games to professional events, they abide by official rules and referees, why would Flex pilots not want a similar guarantee for the very serious issue of their career? Thanks for the friendly discussion, NJW

The folks at the training center are great guys and will go out their way to get you thru......I don't know why the bashing against these guys!!! Back to the topic, Is the worst over at Flex yet?......Saw on APC that no more furloughs for now.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back