• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is the worst over at Flexjet?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The two year recall was what they did back in 2002 - 2003. Noone really knows where that number came from.

The two year recall was what they did back in 2002 - 2003. Noone really knows where that number came from.

I would guess that they are just thinking it makes it easier on them. After two years, it's up to the furloughed employee to apply for openings rather than up to management to track them down to offer a recall.

I'm guessing it was just an arbitrary number they came up with....

Previous policy or recent decision, on second thought, I guess it doesn't matter. Either way it's un-nerving. Had the number been chosen earlier it could have been improved to meet the obvious need--but they chose not. A 2yr limit imposed at the time of the furloughs was just as deliberate. Apparently, they don't care....:mad:

It doesn't look arbitrary to me. It looks calculated. It seems they chose the least amount of time they thought they could get away with, without causing too big of an uproar among the workforce or raising eyebrows too high in business circles. I say this because all frac managers (and the rest of us) know that it could take several years to fully recover.

And what difference would a year or so more make to Flex management, anyway, especially compared to the huge difference it can definitely mean to those pilots who got furloughed?! Flex pilots surely deserve the going rate, whether we're talking pay or recall rights? 2 yrs is insulting, IMO.
Good Luck!!
NJW

I would guess that they are just thinking it makes it easier on them. After two years, it's up to the furloughed employee to apply for openings rather than up to management to track them down to offer a recall.

For those who think Unions are all one-sided, this is an excellent example of the difference organization can make. During the 7yrs my husband was on AA's recall list it is the Union that kept in touch, not the company. Everything gets laid out in a contract and that is better and easier for both sides. Having legal rights does come with responsibilities, but it's worth it. Case in point, unlimited w/Union oversight or 2yrs left up to management.

Flex-ible, you've raised an interesting point that didn't occur to me (reasons above) but considering the severity of the recession, what are the chances Flex would be recalling many of the pilots before the 2yr deadline? Wouldn't the result (for management) be essentially the same if they'd made it 3 yrs instead? Compared to what that extra year could mean to a furloughed pilot...it still seems wrong. That said, realistically, pilots (and their spouses--reminding myself) shouldn't expect managers to consider the pilotgroup's interest over their own. That's what contracts are for. Best wishes, NJW

It's not about record keeping after two years.

Two years is the longest the company figures a guy can sit around without flying and still be worth bringing back to fly the line. Past that the guy will be so out of currency that it will take a crazy amount of time in the sim just to get him to the point where he can be safe in the plane on the line.

They can't make rules saying a two year recall if you don't fly in the meantime and 7 years if you fly pistons and unlimited if you fly turbine. The unions would never accept that as it doesn't respect seniority.

Am I the only one who thinks of this stuff? Jeeze.. record keeping? Really? Come on team, a little effort out there, seriously...

Glass, you're probably right.

I highly doubt that Flex-ible. With the unlimited ability of information at one's fingertips - if there was any hint of a recall - the Flex 85 would be well aware of it.

Nope, I think there is some other reason.

I don't think Glass is right. Unlimited recall rights at NJA hasn't been a contentious contract issue and Shares management unilaterally made unlimited their company recall policy. Neither place seems concerned.

In the USAF, when pilots make Major they are required to do a 3yr staff assignment (normally no flying involved) to gain other types of command experience. My husband's refresher course for the F16 was 3 months, including air-to-air and air-to-ground sorties. Actual flying, more than sims. Looking back, it wasn't a big deal. Hard work, yes, but not crazy. I apply that term to our family of 4 living in a tiny 1 br apt...:p

Considering that re-training, even after a lengthy absence, is an accepted practice for the military, the airlines, and both Union and non-Union frac companies, I don't see it as a credible reason for Flex management to give furloughed pilots only a 2 yr chance to resume their career-- that was interrupted thru no fault of their own. NJW

It's not about record keeping after two years.

Two years is the longest the company figures a guy can sit around without flying and still be worth bringing back to fly the line. Past that the guy will be so out of currency that it will take a crazy amount of time in the sim just to get him to the point where he can be safe in the plane on the line.

They can't make rules saying a two year recall if you don't fly in the meantime and 7 years if you fly pistons and unlimited if you fly turbine. The unions would never accept that as it doesn't respect seniority.

Am I the only one who thinks of this stuff? Jeeze.. record keeping? Really? Come on team, a little effort out there, seriously...

Wrong, when you have a company that has a pilot group without any power to protect their members the company is free to do anything they want. The company could have put anything in that furlough package and the pilots couldn't have done a thing about it. And they know it that's why some of them are passing around union cards again. Those seniors guys don't even have job security. They are all just a training board away from being fired.

Last edited:
Good post, Eyeam! Contracts aren't just about pay; every aspect of the job is covered. A pilot's career is a major investment so it makes sense to protect it and to have a voice at the table when decisions are made that profoundly impact you and your family. By not going to the table you send a message that you don't care enough to bother, so why should management?

Good point about security. With all the regulations and opportunities for something to go wrong, it's nice to have a due process that must be followed if questions arise. When it comes to training issues, the NJ CBA is industry-leading to protect the pilots because training standardization can be a problem when it isn't handled in-house.

Flex pilots have the choice of representing themselves or leaving everything to the whim of management. Had the Flex pilots being given a vote about recall rights, who would have chosen 2 yrs over 7, or better yet, unlimited like the majority of their industry peers have? Regards, NJW

Latest resources

Back