• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is the worst over at Flexjet?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You were pretty believable up to the point you said this. I thought you guys don't get rid of people. I thought you just do check rides and call it how you see it? Why would you try to "get rid" of someone if all those instructors over there are such great people?

I said could not get rid of, not try to get rid of. We (The TRB) absolutely gets rid of of those who can not perform at the level required by the PTS (Practical Test Standards). A 135 check allows for the retraining of maneuvers that were unsatisfactory, up to 3 usually or as long as the checkride can be completed in the alloted time. There are individuals at Flexjet as well as everywhere else that cannot get through a checkride without retraining every time they come through the Training Center doors. These individuals are liabilities in that if something were to happen, their training records will show a history of weak and unsatisfactory performance but due to the kindness of certain instructors and lots of retraining they continue to squeak by.

Right Art?

Last edited:
Well said John.

I said could not get rid of, not try to get rid of. We (The TRB) absolutely gets rid of of those who can not perform at the level required by the PTS (Practical Test Standards). A 135 check allows for the retraining of maneuvers that were unsatisfactory, up to 3 usually or as long as the checkride can be completed in the alloted time. There are individuals at Flexjet as well as everywhere else that cannot get through a checkride without retraining every time they come through the Training Center doors. These individuals are liabilities in that if something were to happen, their training records will show a history of weak and unsatisfactory performance but due to the kindness of certain instructors and lots of retraining they continue to squeak by.

Right Art?

It's not about record keeping after two years.

Two years is the longest the company figures a guy can sit around without flying and still be worth bringing back to fly the line. Past that the guy will be so out of currency that it will take a crazy amount of time in the sim just to get him to the point where he can be safe in the plane on the line.

They can't make rules saying a two year recall if you don't fly in the meantime and 7 years if you fly pistons and unlimited if you fly turbine. The unions would never accept that as it doesn't respect seniority.

Am I the only one who thinks of this stuff? Jeeze.. record keeping? Really? Come on team, a little effort out there, seriously...

Souinds reasonable, but how about this: They don't want a bunch of pilots who aged into old men who only have a few years left to fly. Guys like me... I am 53 and if this economy takes 7 years to recover, my flying career is pretty much "down the tubes."

Hopefully, but not likely, we'll see some recovery in the industry.

I think it's going to be 4 years before the economy looks anything like an American economy.

Right Art?

I couldn't agree more. Look at the way the media has handled the competence (or lack there of) of pilots in some of the most recent tragedies and tell me it's not a big deal. With some of the big names Flex flies around if something God forbid ever happened Flex cannot afford to to show sympathy for unqualified pilots. If I had a few million bucks I would write no failed checkride pilots into my contract...

But then again easy for me to say as my husband had never missed a checkride and we have a few more months before having to bite the nails again.

That said, while I agree the training center is not currently an issue regarding management's tool for the iron fist, the sad truth is that has not always been the case (you know I'm right) and I think people fear it could happen again, that's all.

Latest resources

Back