Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

is 40 to 45 too old to get hired at a major?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Considering many pilots have next to no people skills- and communication and getting along with people in really close quarters is a big part of the job- I absolutely would not want a pilot group that is completely void of a wide and varied backgrounds and yes; degree programs. Remember we all influence each other.

It's certainly not moronic- and I too have an aviation business degree from a regular school.

God forbid we have all aviation nerds who have nothing else to add...

I've never flown with a dentist
But it would be such an unusual thing it could be interesting.
I'd get to do all the "you keep saying you're a doctor, but your just a dentist" jokes

You and I are in agreement then, the requirement of a degree In dentistry for example, as a requirement for a pilot job is just moronic! Don't get me wrong I'm all for higher education, but something that has to do with our career, not just a degree in anything as long as you have a degree......, that is just plain stupid.

Then why not stop at 6th grade?

Back on topic......I was hired at a major at 47. Finished IOE on my 48th birthday.
I was hired at major at 51. I feel very fortunate. Military, but not academy...

I was hired at major at 51. I feel very fortunate. Military, but not academy...

Hey CC, you don't know me by this name, but I know you from back in the start of the last decade on here... As I recall you were with World for the longest time, glad to see you landed back on your feet again.... In my class at HAL, we had a guy who was also 50, former UAL,Aloha, Emirates, Skymark, NetJets, but to name 5 of the 10 he's been with.... Made me look like a lightweight... He's was positive and upbeat and set a great example for the class. Moronically (autocorrected from "ironically" but I'm keeping it, as it fits better), due to the dumb way HAL assigns seniority, he was the junior man of the class.

I think, just as with the US Military, a degree in science, engineering or math shows a lot more capable person, especially in the critical areas of how and why planes fly; and therefore should be preferred.

Like this guy?

http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/team/officers.aspx

Look at the Blue Angels bios over the years. You'll see just as many agriculture, political science, and other type degrees as what you describe. Flying is as much art as science in my opinion.

Edit: The link didn't transfer directly, but I was referring to LCDR Cheng. Science, Engineering, and Math are all wonderful fields, but as far as the piloting profession goes, I don't think they necessarily translate to being more capable.

Last edited:
Like this guy?

http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/team/officers.aspx

Look at the Blue Angels bios over the years. You'll see just as many agriculture, political science, and other type degrees as what you describe. Flying is as much art as science in my opinion.

Edit: The link didn't transfer directly, but I was referring to LCDR Cheng. Science, Engineering, and Math are all wonderful fields, but as far as the piloting profession goes, I don't think they necessarily translate to being more capable.

The most pathetic guy at the bottom of his class in UPT gets more aerodynamics and theory thru his head than anyone who pops open the ATP written and memorizes questions... so in the end, sure.. like that guy.

Flying is as much art as science in my opinion.

Randy Cunningham, Navy ace Vietnam, was a Phys Ed major. However some here feel that he on-line degree in Gender Studies from Bumble Bee State is the only acceptable proof of excellence and no other life experience or educational accomplishment can compare. Like a pilot I know 2 years a the Naval Academy, couldn't hack the advanced math, was let go. Joined the Army became a pilot flew combat Medivac in Iraq two tours. No college degrees most airlines would not look beyond the unchecked box in the lower corner of the application to look at him. They look at him like Wavy as a lazy guy who has nothing in life. Fortunately gifted companies like SWA know better and look at the whole man concept to pick true winners.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back