Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

is 40 to 45 too old to get hired at a major?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ragman did-
As for you and yip..... The joke is lost
See waht a coolege dergees, in fcat a copule of tehm, can do you for you. Geos rihgt oevr yoru haed

I happen to be a check airman at a large regional carrier and am privileged to work with some of the best pilots in the business. We take new hires who often meet only the minimum requirements to be hired, have never flown a jet, never seen an FMS, never flown for an airline, never flown in congested airspace, etc. Heck, there was a time we even had some new hires who had never been in actual IMC conditions.We take them and turn them into safe, competent airline pilots.

The abilities required to do this and deal with the associated stress and high workload on the flight deck can only be understood by those who do it.

Not a single one of them has the job because they kiss ass. They have it because they are good at what they do. Period.

A lot of us we're check airman in our previous life-
So I hear and agree with what DcA is saying, there is an element of playing the political game- there's no doubt about that- (and I like to think I was decent at playing it) without a doubt though- check airman experience can be good, and can be bad- best pilots are the best pilots though and that doesn't always mean CA. Plenty of really good pilots haven't gone that route

So here's a secret from the hiring side.
If your check airman experience has made you a better junior FO candidate- expect it to help get you hired at a major.
If you CA experience makes you think you're special for performing in a role that thousands before you have done (dozens on this website with your same experience, no doubt), well... Expect an airline to pass on that kind of a headache.
Keep your head and your defensiveness of what a check airman/ standards captain is in check my man. The pride is in being one of us, not convincing yourself you walk on water and are entitled to special treatment in any majors hiring process.

I tried waiting it out and not get the degree. I changed my mind and now I'll be finished this summer with a quality BS from a great school. It's worth it and even if I don't get on with a major I'm glad I did it. I'm not just trying to check boxes but am genuinely interested in learning new things and it has been a great experience.

I now understand what the additional education adds to your knowledge base as well as gives you something to bring to the table when looking for another job.

I tried waiting it out and not get the degree. I changed my mind and now I'll be finished this summer with a quality BS from a great school. It's worth it and even if I don't get on with a major I'm glad I did it. I'm not just trying to check boxes but am genuinely interested in learning new things and it has been a great experience.

I now understand what the additional education adds to your knowledge base as well as gives you something to bring to the table when looking for another job.
Congrats, that is something to be proud of. But it has nothing to do with flying an airplane, and beauty of it is that SWA knowns it and does not base hiring decisions upon the checked box.

I know a degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane specifically, but knowledge and study leads to better thought-process and decision-making. I've experienced this and can say I'm better in the cockpit for the learning I've done. Even when some of the classes were not aviation related, they involved critical thinking skills, and that's a plus.

Not to mention, all the rationalization about college being unnecessary won't get you a job. Accepting the fact that airlines want it and getting it done, will.

Last edited:
And there you have it wms

I agree 100%

We all know a lot of pilots got the paper and didn't learn much- or resented the work-

My degree helped my flying and my ability to do my job every day.

He knows this, but I couldn't disagree with yip more.

Btw- just bc SWA doesn't "require" a degree doesn't mean it's not part of the computer program that selects applicants for interviews.

I know a degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane specifically, but knowledge and study leads to better thought-process and decision-making. I've experienced this and can say I'm better in the cockpit for the learning I've done. Even when some of the classes were not aviation related, they involved critical thinking skills, and that's a plus.

Not to mention, all the rationalization about college being unnecessary won't get you a job. Accepting the fact that airlines want it and getting it done, will.

Bingo-case closed.

USAirways, AA, and United don't require it, but you won't get through the filters without it.

Latest resources

Back