Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

is 40 to 45 too old to get hired at a major?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How is that mutually exclusive?

Herb had a law degree

GK and MVdV have MBAs

And 93%+ of Swapa pilots have undergrad degrees
15% of us graduate level

Glad you're so "up" on degrees, Wave--in that case, perhaps you should be pushing for Southwest to hire more former military pilots then. Essentially 100% of them have undergrad degrees (which, assuming just over 50% civilian trained here, means approx. 15% of our civilian-trained guys do NOT have undergrad degrees). Plus, I'd bet that of the 15% of us with graduate level degrees, the overwhelming majority are from the military ranks, since Masters degrees are encouraged and paid for military officers as professional growth and development.

Sorry, man... just yankin' your chain! I couldn't resist. :beer:

Bubba

But you ain't gonna get educated in college anymore; it's for indoctrination now.

I think many people forget that education is a two-way street. You can get a great education at a community college if you put in the effort just as easily as a lousy one at Harvard if you just put in the bare minimum.

Glad you're so "up" on degrees, Wave--in that case, perhaps you should be pushing for Southwest to hire more former military pilots then. Essentially 100% of them have undergrad degrees (which, assuming just over 50% civilian trained here, means approx. 15% of our civilian-trained guys do NOT have undergrad degrees). Plus, I'd bet that of the 15% of us with graduate level degrees, the overwhelming majority are from the military ranks, since Masters degrees are encouraged and paid for military officers as professional growth and development.

Sorry, man... just yankin' your chain! I couldn't resist. :beer:

Bubba

You're right. Maybe yip should be making his no degree argument to some generals!

And I would .... if it weren't for the vast numbers of mil who suck factor
;)

Hey man, I've never argued for anyone rough around the edges. That's the problem in that mil-civ debate. Civilians know we have that element that sucks. Mil guys will recommend anyone.

Not everyone without a degree fits that rough part, so I'm glad we'll interview those without, but many do.

On a thread that's asking interview advice - the ONLY GOOD ADVICE concerning whether to get a degree or not is to get one. There's so many ways to get it done now the excuse factor gets boiled down to lazy and not interested which is pretty hard to explain in an interview.

Let me ask- who here without a degree has a good argument for not getting it?

There's so many ways to get it done now the excuse factor gets boiled down to lazy and not interested which is pretty hard to explain in an interview.
Right , all those high school to flight school Army CWO's, who flew two tours in combat rescue, or that sailor who spend two years in Nuclear Power plant operator's school after high school and 4 years on a submarine operating a reactor, or my brother in law who is a succssful small business man in the auto repair busienss after two years of auto mechanic training is as lazy as they come. None of these have proved anything compared to getting an online degree in Gender Studies from Bumble Bee State. The college degree the clear indicator of a superior person, nonthing else counts

There's yip- all hyperbolic again...
as opposed to you who has worked so much harder than anyone else and enjoys the right to look down on anyone without a degree who is not as good a you. Thank goodness you are not in the HR dept at SWA.

as opposed to you who has worked so much harder than anyone else and enjoys the right to look down on anyone without a degree who is not as good a you. Thank goodness you are not in the HR dept at SWA.

He's just pissed that he owes Sallie Mae for life. While the rest of us are aggressively saving for the future.

My favorite ironic situation is a finance major who is 100k in debt from a finance undergrad degree. :laugh:

I do?

Coulda swore I paid those off
And my house
And our moms

Wow- didn't know my education had so little value... Oh wait
$$$
:)

I'm the wrong example for you guys

I hope my doctor has a degree too- doesn't make him a better person. Just means there are careers out there where the participants ought to be educated

My gosh, 40!? At American you'll be so young you'll stand out like you lobsters growing from your head. Welcome AAAAboard.

Latest resources

Back