Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

is 40 to 45 too old to get hired at a major?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just means there are careers out there where the participants ought to be educated
And airline pilot is not one of them. Nor does the on-line degree from Bumblebee State in Gender Studies provide future employment opportunities like that of a graduate from a top medical school. A college degree ranges from nearly worthless to extremely valuable. All college degrees cannot be lumped into one category as a representation of knowledge gained. Unless of course you are checking box on an airline application.

Well, I disagree

So why don't you answer Bubba's question

Military requires degrees...

I do?

Coulda swore I paid those off
And my house
And our moms

Wow- didn't know my education had so little value... Oh wait
$$$
:)

I'm the wrong example for you guys

I hope my doctor has a degree too- doesn't make him a better person. Just means there are careers out there where the participants ought to be educated

Wave, lets be honest, Yip has been on this board the better part of a decade trying to dumb down pilots and their expectations.. whether actively or passively he's been working for the airline managers to create a lower caliber pilot who costs less to operate and works harder.. the guy whos' so excited to be an airline pilot, he doesn't care what he makes on his W2.. that's been Yip for as long as I can remember.

Shoot... now I might get that famous Yip PM that takes up two pages and explains how he's a retired Navy O6 and could have been the DO at Delta, but chose instead to fly Falcon 20's at Grandeair..

Wave, lets be honest, Yip has been on this board the better part of a decade trying to dumb down pilots and their expectations.. whether actively or passively he's been working for the airline managers to create a lower caliber pilot who costs less to operate and works harder.. the guy whos' so excited to be an airline pilot, he doesn't care what he makes on his W2.. that's been Yip for as long as I can remember.

Shoot... now I might get that famous Yip PM that takes up two pages and explains how he's a retired Navy O6 and could have been the DO at Delta, but chose instead to fly Falcon 20's at Grandeair..
Yep that is me, single handedly destroyed the airline industry. At least I don't hide behind a screen name. From what I have seen here pilots don't need much help dumbing down. I still applaud SWA for not being hung up on this college degree thing like many of the up tight college educated people I have seen. BTW Where did you get this Grandscare stuff?

BTW Where did you get this Grandscare stuff?

you fly for one of those DA20 bottom feeders don't you? I forget which one..

Yip, you seem like a good guy-
But HA has a point-

From your signature to this college degree thing that really does seem to upset you if people disagree, your message is about lowering expectations and the bar for pilots.

you fly for one of those DA20 bottom feeders don't you? I forget which one..
Yep, The last place I thought I would ever end my career was at a Non-Sked flying out of KYIP, but life takes many turns that are beyond your control. I literally found this job in a garbage can and in your mid-50's you don't turn many jobs down. JUS what used to be the best of the bottom feeders, still a pretty good bottom feeder but no QOL. However pilots have to go someplace to get the resume fluff to move to the next step. This is good place to get your start. All DA-120 training is done under 121, including Appendix H LOFTS, we have an active ASAP program, a pilot policy handbook that reads much like a contract. Plus our pay starts at $34K as a DA-20 F/O for a 500 TT pilot. I never made it to the major show, but I get a sense of satisfaction in the role I play in giving these kids a solid start in their career and then watch them move on DAL, JB, SWA, Atlas, NJ, UPS, FedEx,

BTW: Grandscare is the fr8dawg insider name for Grand Air out of KTOL, crashed five DA-20's before they killed anyone. The only air Carrier in the US history to crash two airplanes within 3 hours in April of 2003.

Last edited:
I flew with a lot of former Grandscare pilots at Swift, including their DO and two CP's right after the 9/11 downturn and losing my job opportunity at AA.. I know all about them and I know all about wondering the wasteland of crap jobs ..

I never once accepted that I had to fly because I liked to, and not for money or respect tho... Never, and it's sad that you've given up and decided to be the mouthpiece for managers who want minimum wage pilots to grease the wheel of their bottom feeder operations. As you know from personal experience, the DAL and Fedex jobs are the minority of jobs... and not everyone setting out in this career with get them... so one has to make the most of their CURRENT employment and demand respect there, because it might be their last stop before retirement.

I anyone's still lurking on the actual thread- it's been answered many times- there are usually more 40-something's than 30 something's. And do the math- a 45 year old has 20 years! That's plenty of time to enjoy a major airline experience esp as contracts get better and our unions start fighting for the bottom of the list.

Latest resources

Back