Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

is 40 to 45 too old to get hired at a major?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

b737jock

747 Trash Hauler
I have over 7000 TT with 5000 TPIC and Heavy International time.. what is the consensus on getting into a major at my age? I just turned 40.

That is Good News.. I was concerned after a United guy said why would a major hire a 40 something when they have 8000 guys that are 25- 35 to chose from. It got me thinking that might be the reason I am not getting any calls.

That is Good News.. I was concerned after a United guy said why would a major hire a 40 something when they have 8000 guys that are 25- 35 to chose from. It got me thinking that might be the reason I am not getting any calls.

Pilots kill me with their logic.

I would hire 62 year olds all day long.

I train you for a small cost, most of which is fixed, I own the sim and salary the instructors.

Then for one year you work for half pay, no 401K, no sick time and minimal vacation. Then for two years you work like a mule trying to save for retirement in 2 years like pilots do, flying through vacation etc. You won't cause trouble or be a big union contract guy etc. Then at year 3 CYA, thanks for your service.

That 30 year old will eventually be the guy you pay 250K to work 12 days a month. He will then use his 5 weeks of vacation, sick time, and scheduling power to gain an extra 2 months off. Oh yeah toss another 25K into his retirement fund plus a 401K match, bla bla bla.

I love how pilots are so bad at seeing the business end of the job. Resgionals solved this problem while pilots talked about "training cost and experience" both of which mean zip.

I'll add to that as well....40 not too old at all. Getting hired by a certain age went away in the 80's. HR departments realize a mix of all kinds of backgrounds and ages is beneficial. If the hired everyone in their 30's....they would have lumps of retirements. I think they like to fill in the gaps to level that out.

Latest resources

Back