Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

is 40 to 45 too old to get hired at a major?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That is Good News.. I was concerned after a United guy said why would a major hire a 40 something when they have 8000 guys that are 25- 35 to chose from. It got me thinking that might be the reason I am not getting any calls.

The United guy sounds like a tool. Perfect age, becuase of the age 65 slowdown you'll probably find most of the guys in your class when you get hired are close to the same age. Last two guys I wrote recs for where 38 and I think 46.

The United guy sounds like a tool. Perfect age, becuase of the age 65 slowdown you'll probably find most of the guys in your class when you get hired are close to the same age. Last two guys I wrote recs for where 38 and I think 46.

Hpilot, please let me know if they are getting a call! I have written recs numerous times and my buddies haven't gotten a call at all. One was already turned down (10,000k+, numerous types, early 40s), and I keep hearing the same old bs (aka hr). Frustrating.

When I got out of Navy in 1977 the joke was to get an interview at a major if you were over 30 was you needed to logged lunar landings. The military had trained so many pilots for Vietnam that there was just a flood of military pilots looking for jobs. The airlines could be as picky as they wanted. Oh! to be 33 again and just getting out of the Navy

33 would be good, I'd even settle for 36. Crazy how time flies by.

Gordon Bethune, when he was CEO of Continental, was noted for wishing he could fire all his employees every 5 years.

Hpilot, please let me know if they are getting a call! I have written recs numerous times and my buddies haven't gotten a call at all. One was already turned down (10,000k+, numerous types, early 40s), and I keep hearing the same old bs (aka hr). Frustrating.

38 year old is already on the line, was a 121 rj captain, 4 year. The 46 year old is still waiting, had 121 PIC and heavy time, but no 4 yr.

Last edited:
If you're female they will hire you with less than a year at a regional! Obviously very qualified if you are! They hired all the females at my base. Passed on all the ten plus yr qualified check airman. But who needs that when you can check a box...... Im sick of seeing this, anyone else?

Latest resources

Back