Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

is 40 to 45 too old to get hired at a major?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have over 7000 TT with 5000 TPIC and Heavy International time.. what is the consensus on getting into a major at my age? I just turned 40.

You will have no problems getting an interview with your time and experience. I'll take a guess and say that the average age in a new hire class at any legacy will be easily in the 40's. In the past airlines shied away from hiring pilots who stayed at their current job to long. They wanted to hire someone that wanted to work for them and was excited to be there. Not someone who was sick of their old job and to lazy to put out a resume and move on.

Today there are many guys and gals that have been at their current job for many years, like 14 to 20 years because they missed the chance in early 2000's. The airlines know this and being older will not be taboo like it was years ago. You have 25 years of service to offer, that's a lot.

You will have no problems getting an interview with your time and experience. I'll take a guess and say that the average age in a new hire class at any legacy will be easily in the 40's. In the past airlines shied away from hiring pilots who stayed at their current job to long. They wanted to hire someone that wanted to work for them and was excited to be there. Not someone who was sick of their old job and to lazy to put out a resume and move on.

Today there are many guys and gals that have been at their current job for many years, like 14 to 20 years because they missed the chance in early 2000's. The airlines know this and being older will not be taboo like it was years ago. You have 25 years of service to offer, that's a lot.
When I got out of Navy in 1977 the joke was to get an interview at a major if you were over 30 was you needed to logged lunar landings. The military had trained so many pilots for Vietnam that there was just a flood of military pilots looking for jobs. The airlines could be as picky as they wanted. Oh! to be 33 again and just getting out of the Navy

This is why you don't listen to just anyone regarding career advice

40? I'd say you're right in the middle of a new hire class

A few of the earlier classes at Delta this year had an average age of early-40's. Age discrimination ended two decades ago. Along with discrimination against 4-eyed people.:cool:

Pure economics would dictate any pilot who has been around 5 or more years is making too much money. I am shocked the majors hire anyone under 50.

Maybe even better, being 22 again and just getting into the Navy? :)
Roger that. Upon arriving at the pearly gates, St Peter says to me "I will let you live your life over again and your choices will be a job at United in 1966 with no layoffs or downgrades your entire carer or you can go back and repeat you experience as a first tour JO in an operational squadron in a combat zone. There would be no hesitation, as I age and look back at that time it was the most fantastic adventure of my life. I have been truly blessed to have had that experience.

you will still have plenty of time to upgrade if you wish, or not. Good either way.
I am 53 and very junior. Went back from furlough over a year ago. But Im on 6 year scale, making way more than any regional captain..... and 20 to 25 years at a major beats any regional and most corporate gigs in every way.......GO for it.

Pilots kill me with their logic.

I would hire 62 year olds all day long.

I train you for a small cost, most of which is fixed, I own the sim and salary the instructors.

Then for one year you work for half pay, no 401K, no sick time and minimal vacation. Then for two years you work like a mule trying to save for retirement in 2 years like pilots do, flying through vacation etc. You won't cause trouble or be a big union contract guy etc. Then at year 3 CYA, thanks for your service.

That 30 year old will eventually be the guy you pay 250K to work 12 days a month. He will then use his 5 weeks of vacation, sick time, and scheduling power to gain an extra 2 months off. Oh yeah toss another 25K into his retirement fund plus a 401K match, bla bla bla.

I love how pilots are so bad at seeing the business end of the job. Resgionals solved this problem while pilots talked about "training cost and experience" both of which mean zip.

Thank goodness you do not run an airline. For the sake of the other employees that would be out of job very soon. I am not even going to try and explain it. Have you ever taken economics or business classes? If you have, ask for a refund if you paid attention, the professor or school hustled you

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back